Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005 KIA Spectra 5, 1990 Ford F-150, 2006 Triumph 955i Tiger
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I crashed my brother's 2005 Spectra 5 into a pole. Since he only had liability, I am going to buy the car from him. The airbags went off, windshield broke (Pass side airbag) the radiator is damaged. The car will start with gas poured in manually but not on it's own.
Here's my questions; #1, is there a fuel system reset switch in this model of KIA? A lot of cars have a shut off on the fuel system when the airbags deploy. If it has a reset, where is it located?
#2, Is it possible to put this car back into service WITHOUT replacing the airbag modules? I'm an ex-cop and I do not trust, nor like airbags. I think they are HIGHLY over-rated.
I plan on buying a good repair manual for the car but I have found that most enthusiast forums are a good place to start because forum members like to share info. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
tazshido

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,928 Posts
tazshido...
Welcome to kia-forums...
I own an 06 Spectra SX (like a Spectra5 but not a hatchback) that I saved from the salvage yard..
Your first question can be answered with there is an inertia switch located on the driver's side strut tower with a rubber top...Push in on the rubber top to reset the fuel flow switch and the car will start!!
I had to replace the windsheild and it cost $200 from a local glass shop installed.
Parts are very much available for this car...BUT...be sure to get them from a Spectra SX or 5 as the interior color skeme (dark gray) is different from stock Spectras (LX/EX).
The front grill is also different from the LX/EX models as is the front bumper cover.
As far as the air bags are concerned here in OHIO it is NOT required to replace them "if" the car has a "salvage" title and is being re-built. The car will run fine without them but the idiot light will stay on.. Remove the instrument console and remove the air bag lamp.
Find used parts at "car-part.com" an internet based search engine. The radiator get through ebay (cheapest place to find it and the bolt in radiator frame and fans).
If you have ANY quesions just ask me...I'm here every day...
Dave

·
Super Moderator
6,928 Posts
Oh...BTW...
These cars are a bargain and used parts are easy to find... The insurance companies liked to "total" them early on and the prices on things like engines and trannys are very cheap with low mileage on them... The insurance/resale values have since climbed when they found that the cars (KIAs) were a much better quality than they thought. (they will do 300k miles if maintained).
Just be sure to replace the timing belt if the car has more than 60K miles on it as this is the "weak link" in the drive train and the engine WILL be damaged if/when the belt breaks...Not a hard or labor intensive job and can be done with basic metric wrenches and sockets and a couple of floor jacks.
Dave

·
Registered
2005 KIA Spectra 5, 1990 Ford F-150, 2006 Triumph 955i Tiger
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Dave. Here in Wyoming we have a very liberal view of what is legal to drive. You should see some of the farm vehicles that are driven around here! I may just do a cheapo "get it drive-able" kind of job. It may look like a mad max car when I'm done with it.

·
Super Moderator
6,928 Posts
BTW...No need to get a repair manual as KIAs site..." http://www.kiatechinfo.com" has it all available for free...
Here's info on how to "get on"

Cut/Paste..
You need to be running
Microsoft Windows (XP,Vista,7) and
Microsoft IE (Internet Explorer 8 or higher).
You also need to download and install a free "plug-in or app" called Adobe SVG
(Scaled Vector Graphics). There is a link to this software on their site.
and a valid email address to send the password to..
This is the only known good way to get onto this site..

The site doesn't like...
Mac or Linux Operating Systems
Firefox/Chrome/Safari Browers

There is a moderate learning curve as things aren't always where you would think they should be...but a little looking gets everything you could possibly need.

We are here also to help and want to answer any questions you have.
Dave

·
Super Moderator
6,928 Posts
I'm sure they were....The passenger side broke the windsheild and the driver side tore up the steering wheel... I also do not like them... I'll wear the seat belts but the air bags I could do without. There are also GREAT at totalling a car with their replacement costs (new) from the dealer... Some states won't allow used "bags" in the repair of your car.
How about the kids KILLED when the explosives went off from a broken neck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts