Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Sorento (hers) 1999 Taurus SHO (mine) 1999 Windstar (faithful backup)
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all, look forward to using all the helpful information contained within. i love the forums for the simple fact that you can actually have a conversation without being talked down to like many dealerships, shops, and even auto parts stores do, just cause someones not "ase certified" dont mean they dont know what they are talking about. we recently purchased a 2006 sorento lx with 45,000 miles on it back in nov 2012, so far seems ok i do have a question though the timing belt is getting replaced as we speak the hyd tensioner went bad got 50,000 miles on it now kinda of premature i think, even though recommended replace at 60,000. question is i have read alot about the crankshaft bolt on these breaking just wondering if its all years or 03-04. want to change it anyway just for peace of mind but curious if this defect has been fixed. thanks and good day

·
Registered
I now drive a 2003 S-10 Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,476 Posts
Anytime the crank bolt is un-torqued it must be replaced by a new one.

The tensioner is "usually" good for 120,00 mi but can go earlier. YMMV. The general rule of thumb is replace "hard" items every other time. IE. Waterpump,idler bearing(s) tensioner and anything else you feel is necessary. Wires, heater hoses on the rear of engine, injector harness if brittle.(They break very easily). Just to name a few.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,924 Posts
dvan521...
Come on in... the waters fine.

You have made the right move replacing the TB and the tensioner..
KIA heavily suggests 5yrs OR 60k miles on the TB and you are over 5yrs...

My 06 Spectra has less than 40k BUT 7yrs on the belt and it's getting replaced as soon as the weather breaks (Spring).

If you send a pm to cobra259 (another moderator here) with your VIN # he can tell you what has and hasn't been replaced. He's a parts manager at a KIA dealership in MI and a good guy...He always beats my local dealers prices on parts..and has been able to get me NOS (new old stock) accessories for my 06 Spec with some real deals..
He also got some hard to find Hyundai parts for my daughter's 04 Sonata..

Do yourself a favor and ALWAYS ask here BEFORE going to the dealer for service...even if you don't do the work yourself.. We pride ourselves with being KIA owners!
Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts