Kia Forum banner

81 - 100 of 135 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 Sportage SX AWD / Mineral silver with beige interior
917 Posts
Well now I'm worried if the SD card being sent to me is a bad one. I'm not sure if I would even know if there was a problem with ZOOM AND ROUTE CALCULATIONS.
Is there a way to test this?

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Well now I'm worried if the SD card being sent to me is a bad one. I'm not sure if I would even know if there was a problem with ZOOM AND ROUTE CALCULATIONS.
Is there a way to test this?
You shouldn't have this problem. Don't worry...

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX V6 , 2012 Soul !
678 Posts
When I go to settings I'm not getting a map version. My zoom and routing look ok but I'm scratching my head why the map info isn't displayed.

Can everyone with a 17 SX that do the update see the map version post update?

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
Scroll down on the screen to see additional version information....including the map version.

·
Registered
17 Sportage SX, 13 STI
40 Posts
ANyone with a 2017 able to download the update, or is a 17 too old for the download option (only option is to buy sd card)?

·
Registered
2020 Sportage SX Turbo | 2012 Sportage LX
95 Posts
ANyone with a 2017 able to download the update, or is a 17 too old for the download option (only option is to buy sd card)?
I thought it released on the 15th, but @fredp informed us it still wasn't available on the link i posted earlier. Guess you have to keep checking it daily and hope it will be released soon.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
I thought it released on the 15th, but @fredp informed us it still wasn't available on the link i posted earlier. Guess you have to keep checking it daily and hope it will be released soon.
They do have a new download site that isn't active yet. But we don't know whether this is for all Kia's, or just the new ones. That said, the current cost of $25 for an update is very reasonable IMO -- much more reasonable than the $149 we used to pay...

·
Registered
2017 AWD Sportage SX - Black / Beige
2,011 Posts
They do have a new download site that isn't active yet. But we don't know whether this is for all Kia's, or just the new ones. That said, the current cost of $25 for an update is very reasonable IMO -- much more reasonable than the $149 we used to pay...
ya I agree. i whined and complained to them about the price a couple of years ago actually suggesting that $25 a year was a little more like it. I'm amazed they might have listened.

For $25 I'll upgrade mine even tho i use AA all the time. It will be a good back up.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
ya I agree. i whined and complained to them about the price a couple of years ago actually suggesting that $25 a year was a little more like it. I'm amazed they might have listened.

For $25 I'll upgrade mine even tho i use AA all the time. It will be a good back up.
I worked in large corporations my entire career. You almost never take a customer's suggestion because it is just one person. You do look at competition and if they offer free/cheap updates, you will do the same in order to increase sales. Very few people today update the system just for the maps since we all have Google, etc., on our phones. You want to update the system because of system changes, i.e., better voice recognition, more options for your car, improved menus, etc. We are all important in our own minds.....

·
Registered
2017 KIA Sportage SX-Turbo - Black Cherry (Dark Brown Interior)
55 Posts
I worked in large corporations my entire career. You almost never take a customer's suggestion because it is just one person. You do look at competition and if they offer free/cheap updates, you will do the same in order to increase sales. Very few people today update the system just for the maps since we all have Google, etc., on our phones. You want to update the system because of system changes, i.e., better voice recognition, more options for your car, improved menus, etc. We are all important in our own minds.....
I just got off the phone with KIA support.

The person said they reduced the price due to COVID-19 and to help make it available to first responders that need updated info when they drive.
Also asked about the conflicting websites - MapnSoft ($25 plus shipping) and KIA official FREE update - Link to MapnSoft and Link to KIA.

They said the KIA site is not legit and that ONLY MapnSoft is real. I told them I work in IT and the KIA site has to be real because it ends with KIA.COM and the security certificate checks out.- you can't fake a website if it ends with your own domain and has a valid security certificate. (yes I know it can still be faked but this one checks out). So it seems they don't really have any clue about the "free" site. I guess we need to pay the $25 if we want the update.

·
Registered
2019 Sportage AWD EX
6 Posts
I sent an email a few days ago requesting if or when a download option would be available. Still have not heard anything. I'm guessing nobody has been able to download the current map?

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
I just got off the phone with KIA support.

The person said they reduced the price due to COVID-19 and to help make it available to first responders that need updated info when they drive.
Also asked about the conflicting websites - MapnSoft ($25 plus shipping) and KIA official FREE update - Link to MapnSoft and Link to KIA.

They said the KIA site is not legit and that ONLY MapnSoft is real. I told them I work in IT and the KIA site has to be real because it ends with KIA.COM and the security certificate checks out.- you can't fake a website if it ends with your own domain and has a valid security certificate. (yes I know it can still be faked but this one checks out). So it seems they don't really have any clue about the "free" site. I guess we need to pay the $25 if we want the update.
Do you actually believe the price reduction rationale? It sounds good, but first responders have a bunch of ways to get to their destinations -- and they are free to them. I'm sure some promotion manager came up with that rationale. (And I should know because I spent my career in marketing and general management for large companies.) I'm under the impression that MapnSoft either started as a separate company or still is a separate company. Because of that, they would have no relationship with any kia.com site. If Kia is going to take the system development away from MapnSoft, then that would explain the new site. Development of car systems is becoming highly integrated, much like Tesla, so having a separate company doing the work may not make sense in the future. Eventually, all of the displays in your car will be run by one system (again, like Tesla).

·
Registered
2017 KIA Sportage SX-Turbo - Black Cherry (Dark Brown Interior)
55 Posts
Do you actually believe the price reduction rationale? It sounds good, but first responders have a bunch of ways to get to their destinations -- and they are free to them. I'm sure some promotion manager came up with that rationale. (And I should know because I spent my career in marketing and general management for large companies.) I'm under the impression that MapnSoft either started as a separate company or still is a separate company. Because of that, they would have no relationship with any kia.com site. If Kia is going to take the system development away from MapnSoft, then that would explain the new site. Development of car systems is becoming highly integrated, much like Tesla, so having a separate company doing the work may not make sense in the future. Eventually, all of the displays in your car will be run by one system (again, like Tesla).
@rvoll - I don't believe the rationale.

I'm guessing they are just "on script" with their answer. I take these kind of support conversations with a grain of salt but thought it might be helpful to relay the info I was given.

Personally I probably won't purchase and will only download if it becomes a free download. I use CarPlay (now with Waze) every time I need the GPS.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
@rvoll - I don't believe the rationale.

I'm guessing they are just "on script" with their answer. I take these kind of support conversations with a grain of salt but thought it might be helpful to relay the info I was given.

Personally I probably won't purchase and will only download if it becomes a free download. I use CarPlay (now with Waze) every time I need the GPS.
I didn't really think you did. I get the updates for system improvements, not navigation. When I purchased the car, I got a package of three updates for the price of one. There have been a few system improvements like with voice recognition. I don't always like to plug in my phone for Android Auto. I can just say "Go Home" and the nav works just fine. Since I also have SiriusXM, the built-in nav also reroutes me for traffic. When I'm going to be in the car for a while, I'll plug in the phone and use Android Auto.

·
Registered
2017 AWD Sportage SX - Black / Beige
2,011 Posts
I wasn't seriously suggesting that they took my advice, but it might be that somebody realized you can make more money selling lots of something at a low price than much fewer at a higher price? And with software, production cost is minimal. once you have it, it cost very little to make more of them.

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
I didn't really think you did. I get the updates for system improvements, not navigation. When I purchased the car, I got a package of three updates for the price of one. There have been a few system improvements like with voice recognition. I don't always like to plug in my phone for Android Auto. I can just say "Go Home" and the nav works just fine. Since I also have SiriusXM, the built-in nav also reroutes me for traffic. When I'm going to be in the car for a while, I'll plug in the phone and use Android Auto.
I didn't know the NAV system works with voice commands. I was going to a large event once and was redirected by the NAV system which really saved me some time.
I assume you can only use command for addresses entered into the NAV system. I have never done an update and if this something that will be included in the update
I'm getting soon I'll be very happy. I know you can do more if you use your cellphone for a hot spot but I don't like doing that for security reasons.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
I didn't know the NAV system works with voice commands. I was going to a large event once and was redirected by the NAV system which really saved me some time.
I assume you can only use command for addresses entered into the NAV system. I have never done an update and if this something that will be included in the update
I'm getting soon I'll be very happy. I know you can do more if you use your cellphone for a hot spot but I don't like doing that for security reasons.
Voice commands can be also used for making phone calls. I use it more for that than operating the nav. Look in your manual for more details. This was there when you bought the car, but there have been some quality improvements along the way.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Well, got my card and did my update. Pretty easy and I like the changes so far. I never did really use the navigation or anything else, just enjoyed having the map. I do not like the voice directions because ever since they have been out, every one I've been around has given wrong information. If I'm going somewhere new, I find it on my computer maps first, then just use the car map as a 'monitor'. Of course if I were lost, the 'home' command would be useful. I just like to do my own navigating. I see so many drivers making sudden and dangerous turns because they don't know the way and are listening to a robot which is known for mistakes. I actually don't even know how to put an address into the thing but I guess I should learn how to use it. And BTW, what the hell is 'UVO'?

·
Registered
2020 Sportage SX Turbo | 2012 Sportage LX
95 Posts
Well, got my card and did my update. Pretty easy and I like the changes so far. I never did really use the navigation or anything else, just enjoyed having the map. I do not like the voice directions because ever since they have been out, every one I've been around has given wrong information. If I'm going somewhere new, I find it on my computer maps first, then just use the car map as a 'monitor'. Of course if I were lost, the 'home' command would be useful. I just like to do my own navigating. I see so many drivers making sudden and dangerous turns because they don't know the way and are listening to a robot which is known for mistakes. I actually don't even know how to put an address into the thing but I guess I should learn how to use it. And BTW, what the hell is 'UVO'?
I read somewhere the new update has a new look to the interface... i just got my 2020 SX Turbo in February and so i have nothing to compare it to but it would b nice to know your input on how different it looks. Cheers!

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
I read somewhere the new update has a new look to the interface... i just got my 2020 SX Turbo in February and so i have nothing to compare it to but it would b nice to know your input on how different it looks. Cheers!
February was before the new update was introduced. Perhaps you should have a dealer give you the new update????? The look change is minor. You can get on the site and review all of the changes that have been made....

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
Voice commands can be also used for making phone calls. I use it more for that than operating the nav. Look in your manual for more details. This was there when you bought the car, but there have been some quality improvements along the way.
I have always used commands for the phone & stereo but didn't know about the NAV system. I actually used the NAV system today and it alerted me of a highway shutdown and showed me the best route. I did email them and they said it was fine to drive during the update. The major issue is simply the battery wearing down.

81 - 100 of 135 Posts