Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #61

·
Registered
2020 Sportage SX Turbo | 2012 Sportage LX
95 Posts
...Notice that this is PC update only -- not for shipping an SD card.
Yes i did notice they have it as Download PC/Mac .... so i am wondering if i can just eject my SD card and download the newest version (over writing) onto the SD Card. Would be interesting to see how they advise going forward. Just figured i could wait for the download rather than pay for something which is being offered for free.

·
Registered
2017 AWD Sportage SX Black Cherry/Beige
304 Posts
The Ver. 14 update for 2017 Sportage's is back up again. Personally I'm waiting for the download option that is suppose to come tomorrow, the 15th

·
Registered
926 Posts
A map update - version 14.0 - was introduced on April 27th. However, the big news is that it no longer costs an arm and a leg. Now it costs $25 plus shipping for an SD card. No downloads seem to be available. There are a lot of system updates including improved voice recognition -- a much needed improvement. It used to cost $149 or so for each update so this is great. Your old login no longer works and you'll have to create a new account. The new features are listed on the site.

I'll probably still use Android Auto if it is that much better, but when I connect to the car's USB, it doesn't provide enough power to really charge my phone well. So it would be better for long trips to use the Kia Navigation system and plug my phone into a 2 amp high charge connection I've installed.
Thanks for posting this. I've been wanting to update my maps for a long time but could not see the price they wanted. As of today I have a card inbound!

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Thanks for posting this. I've been wanting to update my maps for a long time but could not see the price they wanted. As of today I have a card inbound!
Your wish is my command.... but don't wish for anything else.....

·
Premium Member
2017 Sportage SX AWD / Mineral silver with beige interior
917 Posts
The Ver. 14 update for 2017 Sportage's is back up again. Personally I'm waiting for the download option that is suppose to come tomorrow, the 15th
I assume you save on shipping this way? Can you just download it, save it and put on the existing SD card?
Huge question; should you reformat the SD card first?

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #67 (Edited)
I assume you save on shipping this way? Can you just download it, save it and put on the existing SD card?
Huge question; should you reformat the SD card first?
No need to reformat as the installation program will do that for you. Unless things have changed from previous years, you should have a 16GB class 10 card available. You could use your current one, but I don't recommend it as you'll want to keep it if your installation goes south (and I don't mean to Florida).... If you have one from a previous installation, you could use that. There is a problem with my rubber cover of the slot in that one of the inserts is bent so I have to use an awl to slowly push it back in so it will close completely. This doesn't affect the installation, however. A couple of years ago, I tried to get that cover replaced and the dealer said they have to get a new dash panel because that part was not available separately. I only update once a year, so I don't need to open that cover often.

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
No need to reformat as the installation program will do that for you. Unless things have changed from previous years, you should have a 16GB class 10 card available. You could use your current one, but I don't recommend it as you'll want to keep it if your installation goes south (and I don't mean to Florida).... If you have one from a previous installation, you could use that. There is a problem with my rubber cover of the slot in that one of the inserts is bent so I have to use an awl to slowly push it back in so it will close completely. This doesn't affect the installation, however. A couple of years ago, I tried to get that cover replaced and the dealer said they have to get a new dash panel because that part was not available separately. I only update once a year, so I don't need to open that cover often.
Thanks, I'll play it safe and go buy a new SD card tomorrow or order one on Amazon now.

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
I just ordered the update but saw no option to get it as a download. No big deal because the shipping was $10 and a new SD card would almost cost that much.
I did notice in the instructions that it said to be sure your Bluetooth was off on your phone during installation. I'll just leave my phone in the house.
Has anyone driven the vehicle during the install? It seems like it would be the same as just sitting and idling. I would keep the radio off and just drive around the
mountains for 35 or 40 minutes. $35 total is well worth it if all goes well.

·
Registered
2018 Cadenza
21 Posts
I just ordered the update but saw no option to get it as a download. No big deal because the shipping was $10 and a new SD card would almost cost that much.
I did notice in the instructions that it said to be sure your Bluetooth was off on your phone during installation. I'll just leave my phone in the house.
Has anyone driven the vehicle during the install? It seems like it would be the same as just sitting and idling. I would keep the radio off and just drive around the
If you drive around, the GPS would still be constantly updating. I don't know if this would be a problem. I just did my update in my driveway with the engine running. It took a total of 20 minutes with no issues.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
You don't have to stay in the car while it is updating. I did some work in the garage and in the front of my house while the update was in progress. As long as you leave the key fob in the car, you should be fine. It seems like you should be able to drive around, but why even take the risk? I always follow the directions when doing system updates because I assume the programmers know more about the system than I do.

·
Registered
Sportage SX 2017
72 Posts
I called today and got the same person that is sending me emails.

Asked that he escalates and that team won't be back until next week?

I'm floored that a few of you didn't need to do anything to get a new map pack but I need to send screenshots of errors that I dont want in the 1st place to get traction.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
rvoll / In the directions it just to have the engine running to prevent the battery from dying. I just hate to have the SX idle for 35 minutes although I know that's stupid.
I'll probably do what you did just to be sure. I can take my tablet, recline the seat and watch an episode of Seinfeld while it installs :cool:

·
Registered
304 Posts
Since I'm guessing you haven't done an upgrade either by purchase of the SD card or downloading just be patient while the process takes place. It will seem like the progress bar never seems to move(old proverb: watched pot never boils), it will do its thing. The download option according to the front page banner said it will be available the 15th.... but like another old saying "the checks in the mail...''' I'll just wait. Gees I'm talking to much. Think I'll go check my temperature...:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
Since I'm guessing you haven't done an upgrade either by purchase of the SD card or downloading just be patient while the process takes place. It will seem like the progress bar never seems to move(old proverb: watched pot never boils), it will do its thing. The download option according to the front page banner said it will be available the 15th.... but like another old saying "the checks in the mail...''' I'll just wait. Gees I'm talking to much. Think I'll go check my temperature...:rolleyes:
This is my first try. I always thought they were way more expensive and NAV is not a big deal for me. I was hoping to travel a lot this summer until the s#^* hit the fan.

·
Registered
2020 Sportage SX Turbo | 2012 Sportage LX
95 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
The new site doesn't appear to be functional . When you select Win or Mac for the setup executable a popup just states Updates will be available soon to be downloaded. This was mentioned in this thread before.

nav_updater.png nav_updater1.png

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
So I contacted MnSoft about my early SD card to see if there was an issue. Here is what they responded:

"Thank you for contacting us with this inquiry, I am happy to assist you today. We did have an issue with one of our machines copying data incorrectly that may have affected a small amount of customers, which has since been corrected. Possible affected SD cards resulted in zoom and route calculation errors, so if you are operating the update without these issues I would assume that everything updated correctly. Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns, I am happy to help."

Perhaps this explains why some people have issues and I don't.... However, copy machines are pretty good and generally do a check of the data. So I'm not sure it was the machine that created the problem -- it was probably someone of the human variety....

·
Registered
Sportage SX 2017
72 Posts
So I contacted MnSoft about my early SD card to see if there was an issue. Here is what they responded:

"Thank you for contacting us with this inquiry, I am happy to assist you today. We did have an issue with one of our machines copying data incorrectly that may have affected a small amount of customers, which has since been corrected. Possible affected SD cards resulted in zoom and route calculation errors, so if you are operating the update without these issues I would assume that everything updated correctly. Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns, I am happy to help."

Perhaps this explains why some people have issues and I don't.... However, copy machines are pretty good and generally do a check of the data. So I'm not sure it was the machine that created the problem -- it was probably someone of the human variety....
When I go to settings I'm not getting a map version. My zoom and routing look ok but I'm scratching my head why the map info isn't displayed.

Can everyone with a 17 SX that do the update see the map version post update?

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

61 - 80 of 135 Posts