Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A map update - version 14.0 - was introduced on April 27th. However, the big news is that it no longer costs an arm and a leg. Now it costs $25 plus shipping for an SD card. No downloads seem to be available. There are a lot of system updates including improved voice recognition -- a much needed improvement. It used to cost $149 or so for each update so this is great. Your old login no longer works and you'll have to create a new account. The new features are listed on the site.

I'll probably still use Android Auto if it is that much better, but when I connect to the car's USB, it doesn't provide enough power to really charge my phone well. So it would be better for long trips to use the Kia Navigation system and plug my phone into a 2 amp high charge connection I've installed.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage SX
83 Posts
Great news! It's $30 CAD for us Canucks.
Edit: Actually the currency estimate on the website is incorrect. They'll actually charge your card $46.05USD (includes shipping by USPS).

·
Registered
2013 LX & 2020 EX KIA Sportages
78 Posts
A map update - version 14.0 - was introduced on April 27th. However, the big news is that it no longer costs an arm and a leg. Now it costs $25 plus shipping for an SD card. No downloads seem to be available. There are a lot of system updates including improved voice recognition -- a much needed improvement. It used to cost $149 or so for each update so this is great. Your old login no longer works and you'll have to create a new account. The new features are listed on the site.

I'll probably still use Android Auto if it is that much better, but when I connect to the car's USB, it doesn't provide enough power to really charge my phone well. So it would be better for long trips to use the Kia Navigation system and plug my phone into a 2 amp high charge connection I've installed.
Yea, the USB only puts out 1 amp which isn't great to charge a 2 amp quick charge phone. Our 2020 has wireless charging and it's about worthless.

·
Registered
2017 AWD Sportage SX Black Cherry/Beige
307 Posts
The map downloads option will be added May 15th according to the banner on the site. The notice does say this option will be for newer models. Geez I hope my 2017 SX is still new enough!

·
Registered
2018 Sportage SX Turbo Black with beige interior
33 Posts
Great news! It's $30 CAD for us Canucks.
Edit: Actually the currency estimate on the website is incorrect. They'll actually charge your card $46.05USD (includes shipping by USPS).
Did you order?

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The map downloads option will be added May 15th according to the banner on the site. The notice does say this option will be for newer models. Geez I hope my 2017 SX is still new enough!
I missed that.... I guess I just threw away $10 for shipping....

·
Premium Member
2017 Sportage SX AWD / Mineral silver with beige interior
942 Posts
Please keep us updated if you buy this. My NAV system has never been great. It has a hard time when you input Circle, Place, etc. into an address.
I have never thought it was worth updating but may I be traveling more and pay the money for the update.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Please keep us updated if you buy this. My NAV system has never been great. It has a hard time when you input Circle, Place, etc. into an address.
I have never thought it was worth updating but may I be traveling more and pay the money for the update.
It will never be as good as Android Auto. You're right, the address must be close to exact. When I'm planning travel and want to use the car's nav, I can use the "Send to phone" option on Google maps to get the address into the car -- and it does work. Fuzzy logic is a problem. The nav system on my other car, a Subaru, works great, however, and voice recognition on that car also works great. I'm hoping the voice navigation update on this new version helps. I'll report back when I update the system and try it out. However, for $30, it might be useful to try it yourself.

Reactions: SSportage

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Map update completed. Went without a hitch except version was different from the manual. Manual said NAM.13.41.41.XXX and actual was NAM.13.41.42.XXX. Went through the options and it looks like there were a number of options added for colors, navigation, speed, and sound. Menus somehow looked slightly different. I haven't tested it out as yet. The map did look different with more detail shown. I haven't tested out voice recognition, but when I do, I'll let you know as the previous version was cr_p. Remembering the specifics of the last version was not at the top of my to do list so I may be mis-remembering some things, but that happens with old age, I guess....

·
Registered
2019 Sportage SX Turbo AWD
18 Posts
Looks like for us here in South Dakota its 25 plus 10 for shipping.. much better improvement compared to the old 150 price.. way happier with this now. its a shame the 2019 sportage won't be able to utilize the faster routing since it doesn't have the UVO connect services like the 2020 model. Not sure if its even possible to upgrade to the 2020 radio that does have it.

·
Premium Member
942 Posts
rvoll / How long did it take and did the ignition need to be on the whole time? I remember a long time ago it took almost an hour and the ignition did need to be on.
I'm going to check out the link you provided now to see if I can afford it and do it myself.

·
Premium Member
942 Posts
rvoll / Just noticed gel seat pads on your signature. What brand, size, and cost are they? I've seen some on Amazon but they are taking a month to deliver.
Also, I want a huge one because I have a huge.......

·
Premium Member
942 Posts
rvoll / Sorry but I keep coming up with questions. Do you need to re-enter all the addresses you have saved after the update?

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks like for us here in South Dakota its 25 plus 10 for shipping.. much better improvement compared to the old 150 price.. way happier with this now. its a shame the 2019 sportage won't be able to utilize the faster routing since it doesn't have the UVO connect services like the 2020 model. Not sure if its even possible to upgrade to the 2020 radio that does have it.
You can use Google Maps and send the address to your "phone" (i.e., your car -- you have that option) and when you attach your phone via the USB cable, the map addresses can be transferred. I've done that a couple of times. It's clumsy, but it works...

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
rvoll / How long did it take and did the ignition need to be on the whole time? I remember a long time ago it took almost an hour and the ignition did need to be on.
I'm going to check out the link you provided now to see if I can afford it and do it myself.
It took about half an hour. I backed the car out of the garage and let it run during that time. You don't need to do anything during that time except have fun with your phone....

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
rvoll / Just noticed gel seat pads on your signature. What brand, size, and cost are they? I've seen some on Amazon but they are taking a month to deliver.
Also, I want a huge one because I have a huge.......

Everything on Amazon takes time these days, even with prime. You also need to wrap the inside of the passenger cushion with conductive material in order for the airbags to work.

That's not necessary on the driver's side as that airbag always works. When you wrap it, just wrap the material one time and pin it with a couple of stiches. It doesn't have to cover the sides if the inside pad as long as both the top and bottom are covered so your seat thinks it has a real person on it. The way the airbag sensor works is by having a weight and conductive sensor. They both have to be activated for the passenger side airbag to work. You don't need to give it to a seamstress.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
rvoll / Sorry but I keep coming up with questions. Do you need to re-enter all the addresses you have saved after the update?
Addresses and all options are maintained even though you are putting in a new SD card.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How do you do this map update on a 2017? Where is the SD card port?
I have a 2017 and the SD card slot is behind a rubber cover in the center of the dash. Just lift the cover and push the SD card and it will pop out. Easy.....

·
Premium Member
942 Posts
rvroll / Thanks for the answers. Only one more question and I think the answer is yes.
Can you drive while the update is in progress? I've never opened it but my SD card is in the same place as yours.
Think I'll go ahead and order it. Wish me luck!

1 - 20 of 179 Posts