Kia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
840 Posts
I was all excited thinking it was a new model........looks exactly the same.

I do like some of the minor changes though, like the rear vents and reclining rear seats.

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX
978 Posts
sharkfin antenna
new rear tail light clusters
new front fog light design
reclining rear seats
new rear seat air vents
revised instrument cluster with a colour LCD screen between two main gauges
parallel park assist
both front seats have the cooling feature
user selectable steering modes

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
840 Posts
sharkfin antenna
new rear tail light clusters
new front fog light design
reclining rear seats
new rear seat air vents
revised instrument cluster with a colour LCD screen between two main gauges
parallel park assist
both front seats have the cooling feature
user selectable steering modes
Small updates, hardly enough to make someone dump their 2011-2013. Are these North American updates also or just everyone else?

Glad they are adding things here and there. Don't get me wrong, I don't think the design is stale so they don't need to overhaul it. The cooled front seat thing makes sense, I have no clue why it was just the driver seat from day one, the cost can't be that much.

Wonder if factory HIDs are available yet, ha ha ha, cheap bastards.

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX
978 Posts
Small updates, hardly enough to make someone dump their 2011-2013. Are these North American updates also or just everyone else?

Glad they are adding things here and there. Don't get me wrong, I don't think the design is stale so they don't need to overhaul it. The cooled front seat thing makes sense, I have no clue why it was just the driver seat from day one, the cost can't be that much.

Wonder if factory HIDs are available yet, ha ha ha, cheap bastards.
Very true, some nice to have features, but not enough for me to upgrade my 2011. Maybe once my factory warranty is finished and they've given it a facelift.

...although I might change up my door sills and possibly the tail light clusters to the ones on the 2014...depending on price and fitment of course. :D

·
Registered
554 Posts
Nowhere near worth an upgrade. They're shuffling parts and gluing on bits. You could order replacement parts and retrofit.

Not that that's bad. I like tweaking a good design. I also don't think it's stale. I would have liked more upgrades (HID is probably #1 or 2), but I'll still hate a full redesign. Not shocked, not unhappy, maybe just underwhelmed.

Steering Mode answers the NorthAmericans who felt the sporty steering was too heavy (sorry NA'ers, but we like our power steering). Vented passenger seat is a no-brainer; when I see a luxury car's driver's seat has 12 functions and the passenger gets 5, I can visualize the accountant glaring at the designer, who then sketches a cardboard-box-based body and quickly leaves crying. The difference I see is "Cooled Passenger Seat: NO", when I have no idea what the other missing 7 functions could be.

Colour LCD dash looks good, kicking out the old Audi/VW/Porsche red LED-style thing, which always felt late-1970's; even a 120,000$ Cayenne looked like I was playing Wario's World on Virtual Boy.

People will complain about the antenna -- the "RC Car" look. I prefer it; I think "light, agile, instant acceleration", not children's-toy. I feel like a trucker with my antenna bouncing off the roof of a parking garage, or watching it flex backwards on the highway when I know it is that whistling noise.

I hoped to see a big facelift. Some Sportage R features won't even make it to the Americas. Oh well, glad they're working on it.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
840 Posts
I like power steering just fine, it is the electric steering feel that most people weren't fond of. My 350Z had fairly heavy steering but it felt good, very connected to the road, for me that is what the Kia lacks. Then again the Sportage isn't a sports car. I can't speak for everyone, but sometimes the "squirrely" behavior of the steering still catches me off guard.

Nice Virtual Boy reference, lol.

·
Registered
Kia 2015 Sportage Platinum diesel and 2013 Rio 3 door SLS
593 Posts
Aussies are getting our "Series II" Sportage from Europe for 2013/2014 rather than Korea, and with that comes some bits'n'pieces that would have been nice additions to mine originally.
HIDs are there, 2.4 petrol engine has been dropped, revised rear lights, front cornering lights, etc., etc.
Like twinscroll I will be waiting for a full facelift before considering a change/upgrade. I am still happy with the one I have!

·
Registered
26 Posts
That's why I posted "Just a Theory" last week.

So, maybe my theory is not as far off as we all think???? Road & Track stated that the Sportage will be redesigned in 2015 or 16. It's a new design??

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey does anyone know why it's so hard to get the SX sportage with 2.0 turbo?
I hope with this updated 2014 model they correct that. Otherwise I don't see much of a point to trading in an 11,12 or 13 sportage. The dealerships here in Southern California are really pushing for people to upgrade even to the 2013.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
840 Posts
I hear that people on the west coast, mainly Cali, have been having issues find the SX. Not sure why.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
840 Posts
And maybe making the seats lay completely flat. Oh and HIDs.........because that can't be stressed enough.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
840 Posts
Minus the piping on the seats the interior looks the same.

Steering wheel already is telescopic.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
840 Posts
I don't think there will be a new body style for a while anyway. No reason to change it much if at all, it is a great looking car. Now some more soft touch materials on the interior would be nice, the dash and door panels are as cheap feeling/looking as they come. Plus this is only the forth year of this model so maybe another year or so before something truly new comes out.

Shocked they aren't offering year-exclusive colors or something of that sort (like they did with the Techno Orange in 2011).

1 - 20 of 39 Posts