Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sorento EX
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the market for new kia in southern California...
wondering if there is any prices paid thread here..
if someone knows a good dealer,, please do let me know.
I was looking for slightly used kia but then I found that with Kia's aggressive incentives, not much of a price difference.. hence thinking about new one..
one quote I got without negotiation is ~$29k before TTL for V6 LX AWD with convenience package, with KMF incentives .

I am sure I can avail Uber discount of $1k and atleast $1k less than quoted price.
So, looking at $27K before TTL

Thanks!

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX AWD 2.0T
7 Posts
I paid $23,100 for my new 2016 AWD EX 2.0T last weekend. MSRP was $35,675. Was a demo and has 6,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sorento EX
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I paid $23,100 for my new 2016 AWD EX 2.0T last weekend. MSRP was $35,675. Was a demo and has 6,000 miles on it.
Very good price...
IN san diego, I am getting quote of ~$31K before TTL and before any incentives for 2018 LX V6 AWD with convenience package.
I can add on $4k of additional incnetives.. making it ~$26K before ttl.

I need it to be $25K or less for me to make a deal...

·
Registered
2016 Sorento LX 4 cyl FWD w/conv pkg
13 Posts
I paid $18.2k before tax, tag, and title last month. 2016 LX w/convenience package with 17,000 miles. Sparkling Silver. Clean carfax, 1 owner.

·
Registered
'15 SX, '19 Stinger GT2 AWD
1,103 Posts
Take a look at truecar.com - you can see what vehicles have been selling for in your area..

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL AWD 2.0T
119 Posts
I think truecar is a scam now. The dealers are working with them to fix prices. Best price is always used. I got mine for 28,900 before TTL and shipping (bought out of state) with 11,000 miles on it. It's a 2016 SXL 2.0T AWD fully loaded, mud flaps, weathertech mats, cargo cover.... yada yada yada oh and certified pre-owned so quite a bit of warranty. Looked for a long time. Best I could do and even with shipping still a great deal.

I like cargurus... love how you can track prices on the cars over time.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento LX V6 AWD
641 Posts
I paid $18.2k before tax, tag, and title last month. 2016 LX w/convenience package with 17,000 miles. Sparkling Silver. Clean carfax, 1 owner.
what is the drive-train package? could you see if you have trailer hitch electrical connection sockets that were run to the underneath rear of the car driver's side up under where the spare tire is kept. there's probably a plastic cover. Just doing some comparisons and thanks for posting your purchase!!!!

·
Registered
2016 Sorento LX, 3.3l v6
46 Posts
This past August I paid $19,025 for a 2016 LX, 3.3 liter, V6, no towing package. AWD with the differential lock option and traction control. One owner, roughly 39000 miles. Dealer had it priced at $24something originally.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento LX 4 cyl FWD w/conv pkg
13 Posts
what is the drive-train package? could you see if you have trailer hitch electrical connection sockets that were run to the underneath rear of the car driver's side up under where the spare tire is kept. there's probably a plastic cover. Just doing some comparisons and thanks for posting your purchase!!!!
2.4 liter 4-cyl. No towing package.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sorento EX
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
don't really need a car right away but keeping a wait n watch approach... also 2019 sorento looks alluring... if I get 11% off msrp + incentives, I may bite..

·
Registered
2016 Sorento LX V6 AWD
552 Posts
This past August I paid $19,025 for a 2016 LX, 3.3 liter, V6, no towing package. AWD with the differential lock option and traction control. One owner, roughly 39000 miles. Dealer had it priced at $24something originally.
How did you get them to come down that much? Good work.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento LX, 3.3l v6
46 Posts
How did you get them to come down that much? Good work.
Well, they had already screwed up a previous vehicle purchase, so that helped, but my best advice is to remember that you have the leverage and walk away initially (even if you like the vehicle). Do your homework on the vehicle - don't trust info from them. Really, all you need to go to the dealer for is to test drive the vehicle, then walk away to think it over some more (and make them sweat it out). Also, get the email address of the salesman and don't go back in to bargain, just do it via email. Be ok with going back and forth a couple times. Get pre-approved from somewhere (even if you end up doing financing through the dealer, it'll force them to give you a tiny bit better rate (potentially)).

Something to keep in mind, for larger dealers, they probably get the vehicle on a wholesale price. If you look up the clean trade-in value to a dealer for the vehicle you're interested in, chances are that is around what they paid for getting the vehicle from wholesale. They won't sell it to you for that (they still gotta make money), but chances are if you offer a couple thousand above that, you'll be good. Don't let them know that you figured out close to what they got the vehicle for. You need to keep leverage on your side.

Getting pre-approved for a certain amount gives you the most leverage, because then you can say, "Look, I'm looking for this kind of vehicle, in this price range and I'm approved for this much. If we can do this for "x" approval amount, financed through you (if you get a better interest rate through the dealer) including your fees, and I test drive it one more time and everything checks out, I'll purchase it from you."

Chances are they'll go for that. If not, you may need to move on to a different dealer and that's okay. Especially when you're still driving a running vehicle. The dealer may even come back a couple days later and agree. Hell, even give it a week and if you still see the vehicle on their lot or website, get a hold of that salesman again with your offer and say you've noticed that vehicle has just been sitting there. In the end, they want to move vehicles off their lot and if it sits long enough they'd rather get that offer from you rather than auctioning it off or re-selling to another dealer.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
536 Posts
Something to keep in mind, for larger dealers, they probably get the vehicle on a wholesale price. If you look up the clean trade-in value to a dealer for the vehicle you're interested in, chances are that is around what they paid for getting the vehicle from wholesale. They won't sell it to you for that (they still gotta make money), but chances are if you offer a couple thousand above that, you'll be good. Don't let them know that you figured out close to what they got the vehicle for. You need to keep leverage on your side.

Hope that helps.
Dealers use black book values for trading, not KBB or NADA. They buy on the black book, sell on KBB & NADA. It's the only way they can survive a vehicle going to auction. Dealers have to use a credit line to purchase used vehicles (new vehicles are on a floorplan line, often with a free credit period) which cost them interest and also has a dollar cap on it. So they need to turn used vehicles quickly or off they go to auction where other dealers are bidding and already know the selling dealer allowed no more than black book. The difference between black and KBB/NADA is often several thousand dollars so if you offer them a couple thousand over KBB clean trade in, they have hit a home run and will be celebrating this sale for weeks to come. Dealers love KBB & NADA because it's tool for them getting top dollar for the car. Remember who owns these publications - the auto industry so it is just one more scam to get you to part with more money than you should.

Start at several thousand UNDER clean dealer trade in and when the dealer tries to show you the KBB/NADA values, ask to see the black book trade in value. Likely they won't show it to you and if they do, they'll change the story to how they overpaid for the trade and absolutely have to get X $'s out of the sale (which is not your problem and likely not the truth).

I held a dealer ticket in Virginia for years as a motorcycle dealer but could attend the Manheim auto auctions as a dealer. The stories the dealers would tell were frightening because of their lack of ethics and the total "us against them" attitude. No dealer is ever your friend and dealers do not sell at a loss, ever. Always be prepared to walk away, let the dealer think you are financing with them as they make good money on selling the paper. Cash buyers don't get dealers excited the way people seem to think they do, they'd much rather have the kickback on the financing paper as it can be another 3-5% of the total deal. Of course, when you close the dealer, tell them you decided to pay cash as you already have a signed contract for the purchase price.

Negotiating with a dealer is an art form and requires preparation and training. Some community colleges actually offer courses in negotiating through their non-credit workforce development arms. Could be the best couple hundred dollars you ever spend.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello everyone,
Thought I'd chime in here on a deal I saw

2018 Sorento - trading a '12 Optima EX.

Worksheet looks like this on a 2018 Sorento SX w/ tech package (MSRP $42,040.00-ish)

List....................$42,040.00
Discount.............$ 3,549.00
Selling Price.......$38,491.00
Rebates..............$ 4,000.00

Price..................$34,491.00
Trade.................-$ 5,000.00

Sub Total............$29,491.00
Tax......................$ 2,120.20
Fees.......................$ 818.50

Financing............$32,429.79

*****Buyer asked them to make it an even $32,000.00 and they agreed.

Buyer emailed all the local dealers asking for best price, Rick Case came back least expensive.

Thanks,
Chad

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,330 Posts
...let the dealer think you are financing with them as they make good money on selling the paper.
Rather than even jerking them around .. If you live in a state where the finance contracts must include a 'no prepayment penalty' clause, just let them do whatever they wish, and pay the entire balance off in cash as the first payment.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts