Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2012 KIA Sedona
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our last van literally died out from under us (2004 Chevy Venture). After a week of unproductive looking and stress we stumbled on a great deal on a 2012 KIA Sedona with 15k on it.

So here I am.:)

Our first "import" in over 20 years but we are sure liking the KIA. After only 3 weeks I already had to replace the garbage factory battery that was only a year old, but other than that nothing but positives to report.

Anyway thought I'd pop in and say hi! I hope I will be able to contribute as well as learn here, thanks!

Tim

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,536 Posts
welcome aboard the forum, I'm on my second Kia ownership. Make sure they transferred all the details for the warranty over to you on your purchase, particular if you didn't purchase it from a Kia dealership.

·
Registered
2012 KIA Sedona
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip, I wouldn't really have thought of that. We did get it from a KIA dealer and they did all the warranty paperwork. Ours was a rental car for a year but still only had 15k on it.

Even getting a slightly used KIA you get a better warranty than many new cars come with.:thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 Sportage EX
4,507 Posts
Ours was a rental car for a year but still only had 15k on it.

Welcome to the site.
"Rental car" more than likely the reason the battery failed. Kia battery's are no worse or better than any other car company's.

·
Registered
Kia Cee'd SW, Hyundai i20, Nissan 240SX
496 Posts
Was the battery not covered under the factory warranty?

We just replaced the battery (factory fitted) in my mothers KIA Picanto after 8 years of Scottish weather, which I think is pretty good going :)

I also had a Proton Persona a few years back that managed 10 years on the factory fitted battery too! ;)

·
Registered
2012 KIA Sedona
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd never heard of the battery it was "Rocket Global Unlimited Power" or something like that, had Asian writing on it I assumed it was original since it was only a year old. Was leaking all over the place and failing to start if it sat for a while.

I didn't check the warranty, it was explained to me that 'things that break" are covered and "things that wear out" were not, to me a battery would be under the "wear out" category. Guess I should have checked but we are not very close to a dealer and I didn't want another battery like that one anyway.

And thank you for the welcomes!

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
You should have a very worry-free ownership experience. I thoroughly enjoy the driving dynamics and handling of both of my 2006 Sedonas, which currently have 194,000 and 231,000 miles. If you DO have any problems, this forum is typically a great place to find answers! On a somewhat related note, the batteries in my Optima and Rondo are original factory (I think the brand is "Solite" or something like that) batteries from over 5 years ago. I think it helps that I live in a colder climate though.

·
Registered
Kia Cee'd SW, Hyundai i20, Nissan 240SX
496 Posts
Seems that Rocket is a South Korean brand of battery so it's quite possible it was the factory unit.

Batteries should last at least 3 years but I'd expect 5 years as a "normal service life" for a battery to be honest.

If you still have the battery - perhaps you can ask the local dealer what the position is with battery warranty - I can't imagine it being out of warranty after only a year of use.

·
Registered
2012 KIA Sedona
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, the top one was the guilty party. I'm afraid it's long gone now though... :(

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,536 Posts
KCKIA - you should also have a warranty manual along with your owners manual that came with the vehicle.
OE battery is covered for 24 months, unlimited mileage.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 Sportage EX
4,507 Posts
Well it looks like the OP missed out on a free battery. Now he knows.
BTW, for all to know: ALL of Kia replacement batterys are made by interstate.

·
Registered
2009 Kia Sedona LX, 2008 Hyundai Sonata
39 Posts
Something similar happened to my 2009 Sedona. I bought it used from a GM Dealer Aug 2010 with 29,000 km on it.

It was an ex rental vehicle as well. It was in service for almost 9 months before it was purchased by a KIA dealer at an auto auction. The family that owned the KIA dealer also owned the GM dealership. With GM's restructuring, they decided to focus on GM only, and shut down the KIA 3 months later. All the remaining used vehicles were transferred to the GM lot next door.

Two months after I bought it, the battery started to fail on me. I went to the new KIA dealer (ex Mitsubishi) and they told me that there was a pro-rated warranty on the battery, with a direct replacement after a fixed period (which I was out of), then it pro-rates afterward.

They did cover half the cost of the battery.

A year later, my new battery started to fail as well, and they did replace the battery at no charge. They called my on my cell phone and told me the battery was in fact damaged. There was a dent in one side, and a bulge directly opposite. I did have rear end collision that was recently repaired at that point. The dealership told me they can warranty a defective battery, not a damaged one,and they wanted to put in a claim on it. I called my insurance company, who then honoured the battery claim as a follow up to the accident claim.

I have not had a problem with the battery since.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts