Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
KIA Reo 2013 5 dr hatch Manual tranny
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2013 KIA Rio 5 door LX.

On my previous cars I always used Castrol Full Syntec 5w-30 when new and 5w-50 when old.

Would I void the warranty if I started to use the above oil.

Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,540 Posts
use the oil that meets the specifications that are listed in the back of your owners manual. From that you can pick whatever brand you want, I presume you are doing the changes yourself, if so that you have to provide proof that you carried this out and that required periods as specified in the owners manual maintenance section.

Oil changes by a independent garage or dealer would provide you with records.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio5 LX mtx
181 Posts
My 2012 LX mtx calls for either 5-20/30 or 10W-30. Since we rarely get *cold* weather below 20 F), I use Mobil Super 5000 in 10W-30, and a Wix filter. Triple digit heat is common in the Hill Country.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
I just purchased a 2013 KIA Rio 5 door LX.

On my previous cars I always used Castrol Full Syntec 5w-30 when new and 5w-50 when old.

Any help will be appreciated.
Castrol synthetic 5W-30 is a good oil. It looks almost new when drained, but it's a bit expensive if you only do 5000 km between services ($15/litre). I plan to keep using it and extend the service interval once the car (not KIA) is out of the warranty period.

In Australia KIA recommends 10W-30, and we use Caltex Havoline Premium Plus ($7/litre, non-synth). We get our services done at the local garage; mostly the oil-change and a check underneath while it's on the hoist. Using genuine parts, this gives a "Record of Service" that should comply with warranty conditions.

I'd keep the oil as originally supplied during the "break-in" process. Don't be too anxious to change it early. We kept ours for the first year (13,000 km).

The 5W-50 oil you mention has a very wide viscosity range. Such an oil would be more prone to sludging. For older engines, I use Castrol 10W-40 or 15W-40 (non-synth).

·
Registered
'12 Kia Rio LX. '11 Toyota Tacoma, '07 Honda S2000, '11 Husaberg FS570, KTM 990 Adventure
267 Posts
i use penzoil conventional 5w20. i buy it in bulk and pay a little over a $1 a quart. just hit 30k miles, so it sure isn't hurting it.

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 EX w/ Convenience & ISG
293 Posts
Castol GTX 5w20 conventional. 3.5 Qts and a KIA oil filter.

Every 3750 severe schedule but only as my dealer says I have to.

Will admit, the oil was BLACK! I sent some to Blackstone for analysis since I'm at 11,250 miles.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Castrol GTX has a tendency for getting black fairly quickly. Doesn't seem to affect lubrication performance. Keep us informed on the oil analysis - are you sending them some unused oil for comparison?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts