Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 Sportage EX, which has just under 49000 miles. A couple of days ago, the downhill braking light showed up red on my panel as well as the ECS light, after sitting for an hour or so at home they both were off when I restarted the car. Now several days later, I start my car to go to work, and they are both back on. Any ideas as to why? I bought my car used from the local Kia dealership and only have a 50,000 mile warranty. I am going to make an appointment to have it looked at immediately.

·
Registered
2011 Sportage EX 1.7cc Diesel - Manual transmission
154 Posts
I think it should be the switch on the brake pedal if the car is auto or the clutch pedal if it is manual failing. there was a similar issue posted while back.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 12 Sedona LX
1,414 Posts
It is most likely going to be a bad stop lamp switch, but could be many other things. Have it checked out.

Also, if you are in the US, then you have a 5yr/60k mile warranty, not 50k.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I have exactly the same thing. Generally after I stop and then later restart to drive away, the lights will be out. I haven't noticed any difference in performance. I'm pretty sure it's 'the switch', but it doesn't affect my brake lights. I guess I'll have to take it in sometime but haven't yet.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage LX
17 Posts
Two lights on

I have the same issue, always have. I'm currently at 43k miles on my 2011 LX.

Sometimes when I start the car the red downhill light and the orange skid light both come on solid, see picture I called the dealership and they told me to bring it in when the lights are on but I haven't gotten to yet while the lights are still on. They stay on between 5 minutes and 2 hours and eventually will turn off. They do not turn off when I re-start the car either. This happens probably once a month to me.

Why are the sensors going bad? Anyone have any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
2011 Sportage LX, 2013 Sportage LX
12 Posts
I just had mine replaced under warranty for same thing. The brake switch was failing. I think there is a recall on it!

·
Registered
2011 KIA Sportage SX, 2016 Ford Focus RS
480 Posts
I have had the same brake light on as well several times, it could be coincidence but in my case it always seems to be after I drive a dusty dirt road. I don't know if there could be a wheel sensor that is sensitive to dust but that's what it seems to be so far.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts