Kia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i just installed a new hid kid (very easy thank to the stickey). everything is working as it should except both hid's have a small flicker. i did use the factory wiring (no relay harness). do i need a set of resistors or capacitors to fix this? any and all help is greatly appricated!!!!!!

·
Registered
Kia Sportage LX 2012
50 Posts
The amount of voltage that you're HID is getting may not be stable. So, a set of resistors should do the trick.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah thats what i was thinking. I may have access to a set of canbus ballasts. So im gonna try that first

·
Registered
2011 AWD Sportage SX
926 Posts
Yeah thats what i was thinking. I may have access to a set of canbus ballasts. So im gonna try that first
A set of canbus should fix it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So the canbus ballasts fixed the problem. Mow i got another issue, ugh. The bulbs are slightly loose in the housing. My guess is the gasket is too thin and not putting enough pressure on the mounding tabs. But besides that, i should have done this a year ago, lol.

·
Registered
2011 AWD Sportage SX
926 Posts
So the canbus ballasts fixed the problem. Mow i got another issue, ugh. The bulbs are slightly loose in the housing. My guess is the gasket is too thin and not putting enough pressure on the mounding tabs. But besides that, i should have done this a year ago, lol.
It should fix the problem unless there is something wrong with the HID ballasts. Ive gone through 2 different HIDS and both had canbuses and had no problem with flickering. You need to secure that bulb, so its not loose maybe its not locked all the way, Id double check it.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage
3 Posts
Flickering

Hi, I just bought my 2011 sportage and put HIDs in it and they were flickering only when the car was running. I read up on this forum about capacitors and went ahead and bought some. No change. Still flickering after I installed the capacitors. I tried two different ballasts too (not canbus) and both flicker. I'm getting a bit fed up. Is my last option to run everything through a relay harness?
Please help
Thanks

·
Premium Member
2017 Kia Niro Touring w/Tech Pkg, Blue/Grey
2,044 Posts
Thread after thread of aftermarket HID problems.............

·
Registered
2011 AWD Sportage SX
926 Posts
If your still getting a flickering issue with a canbus, a resistor like others say is most likely needed. My HID kits are from retrofitsource and have had no problems with flickering. So ballast design and quality becomes a factor.

·
Registered
2013 Forte Koup SX; 2012 Kia Sorento SX; 2012 Kawasaki Z1000
1,007 Posts
btw its not resistors you need, its capacitors..
resistors- (resist load of current, usually for turn signals)
capacitors- (to stabilize power when needed)

i had this issue 2 yrs. ago esp for the sx model/ex luxury (i figured the ones with nav and infinity sound system).. they flicker during acceleration and braking, resolved with capacitors.. i thought at time it was from the trigger (stock bulb socket, but did not work.. they were placed between the relay harness and the ballasts, problem solved..

and its best to get power from battery not from stock bulb harnesses.. it may affect your ipm (instrument panel module) with cost 1000$ to replace..

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage
3 Posts
more issues

So I got a relay harness. Wired it up with and without the capacitors to see if there was any difference. There is still a very minor flicker, but I can live with that. I have two issues now:
1) my radio barely works, there must be some intereference and I have a very poor signal and station that normally worked fine, barely works now. Any ideas how to fix this?
2) both lights cast a dark area in the middle of the light beam. I think this might be from the little wire on the bulb but I'm not sure. I've had HID in all my cars and this is the most frustrating car to work on.
I think I might jus tgo back to stock lights.
Any help help on the above issues would be appreciated, especially the radio interference.
Thanks

·
Registered
2013 Forte Koup SX; 2012 Kia Sorento SX; 2012 Kawasaki Z1000
1,007 Posts
hi adamski,
1. you may try grounding the ballasts, just some small screws and negative to the body., also don't wire your negative to the battery pole.. it must be wired to the body.. this has lessened some interference on some

2. that shadowing you are saying is the hid bulb's return wire is your sportage bulb h11 b? or h11? some bulbs have different return wire position, one of the bulbs that i tried that has no shadowing was DDM 2 years ago.. right now there is theretrofitsource.com or try our site sponsor diode dynamics.. ask them about the return wire.. on the h11 hid bulb the return wire position must be south of that straight large tab of the bulb.. the view of the return wire will be reversed inside the projector so no return wire issues, or you may also try trimming the tab and so you can twist and adjust until there is no return wire..

for capacitors here is a guide for drl and power related fluctuation
i just TRS pic so i can explain in the pic better, this is how mine is set-up..

option 1 for drl fix esp. if low beam is the drl (in canada this is not the case)

option 2 this is from fluctuating power, or electr. noise.. in my sorento sx everytime i step on brake or accelerate it flickers so this solved it, it can also solve flickering while it is just on idle.

and simple fix, also check the wiring esp. where that fuse is from your relay harness, flickering and non firing of hid are sometimes is caused by loose connection of the wires.. hope this helps..

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage
3 Posts
hi adamski,
1. you may try grounding the ballasts, just some small screws and negative to the body., also don't wire your negative to the battery pole.. it must be wired to the body.. this has lessened some interference on some

2. that shadowing you are saying is the hid bulb's return wire is your sportage bulb h11 b? or h11? some bulbs have different return wire position, one of the bulbs that i tried that has no shadowing was DDM 2 years ago.. right now there is theretrofitsource.com or try our site sponsor diode dynamics.. ask them about the return wire.. on the h11 hid bulb the return wire position must be south of that straight large tab of the bulb.. the view of the return wire will be reversed inside the projector so no return wire issues, or you may also try trimming the tab and so you can twist and adjust until there is no return wire..

for capacitors here is a guide for drl and power related fluctuation
i just TRS pic so i can explain in the pic better, this is how mine is set-up..

option 1 for drl fix esp. if low beam is the drl (in canada this is not the case)

option 2 this is from fluctuating power, or electr. noise.. in my sorento sx everytime i step on brake or accelerate it flickers so this solved it, it can also solve flickering while it is just on idle.

and simple fix, also check the wiring esp. where that fuse is from your relay harness, flickering and non firing of hid are sometimes is caused by loose connection of the wires.. hope this helps..

Thanks for the info Kobi.
I actually mounted my ballasts with the bracket that came with it. It's mounted to the body so I would think that that is grounding it pretty good. And I don't have any negative going to the battery. Just to the body. I think I may try the older AC ballasts instead of the digital ones. Maybe that would help.

I have H11B stock bulbs and used H11 HID bulbs. I was thinking maybe I could just rotate the little platic mounting bracket for the bulb so as to make the wire point the opposite way. I guess it depends on the bolt pattern of the little bracket. I recall it's 3 screws so this might not work.

I drove the car at night this weekend a lot and with the fog lights on the dark spot did not bother me too much. The lack of good radio signal was quite annoying though.

I'm pretty sure I have it wired as per the second picture you posted.

Thanks again.

·
Vendor
401 Posts
Thread after thread of aftermarket HID problems.............
There are several companies out there that sell low-quality kits at a high price.

We have great HID kits for just $89.99 and a great support team here to help should you have any issues.

Diode Dynamics is located in St. Louis, Missouri too! So you won't have to wait three weeks or have any issues should you encounter issues.

Plus, I'm very active on the forums and you can ask me anything!

Nick C.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts