Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I have been reading here for a while and have a question or two I don't see a clear cut answer for. I am in the market to replace my 2009 Sonata, looking at 2015 Optima EX's so far.

For the infamous engine seize up/fires, when is this most likely to occur in a 2015... thats the year I am thinking about, and as we are now 5 years down the road, is it safe to assume (ya, that word eh!) that by now if the engine has not blown up by now, its not likely to? I am shopping with the idea that I will get one in the 80-110km or 50-70k miles on the clock. Is there still a risk this far down the road? I will be checking every VIN I look at but I cant seem to get this answer all in one spot.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I love my 2015 EX. Kia conducted an improvement campaign for 2015-2018 cars with something the called a Knock Sensor Detection System -- and once they've done the update, provides LIFETIME warranty coverage for the connecting rod bearing issues that have turned up in some cars. That's lifetime whether you bought the car new or used. Basically, if the rod knock sensor hears too much noise in your bearings, the car goes into limp mode, you limp to the dealer, you get a new engine. They pay for the rental while they're taking care of it. Can you think of a better deal for a used car? Not many people (other than savvy Kia owners) know about it.

Get the VIN and call a KIA service dept or KIA corporate to find out if the car has had the "Knock Sensor Recall" done. Ask the seller if they have a copy of the campaign letter from KIA or the service receipt. You can find copies of the letter hunting the KIA forums. Keyword Knock Sensor.

To answer your question directly, most problems don't seem to show up until past 60K miles. 2015's and 16's have fewer problems than earlier years. If you can plunk down a little more cash, get a 2016, its the next generation car with improvements worth the extra dough. And beefier connecting rod bearings.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I love my 2015 EX. Kia conducted an improvement campaign for 2015-2018 cars with something the called a Knock Sensor Detection System -- and once they've done the update, provides LIFETIME warranty coverage for the connecting rod bearing issues that have turned up in some cars. That's lifetime whether you bought the car new or used. Basically, if the rod knock sensor hears too much noise in your bearings, the car goes into limp mode, you limp to the dealer, you get a new engine. They pay for the rental while they're taking care of it. Can you think of a better deal for a used car? Not many people (other than savvy Kia owners) know about it.

Get the VIN and call a KIA service dept or KIA corporate to find out if the car has had the "Knock Sensor Recall" done. Ask the seller if they have a copy of the campaign letter from KIA or the service receipt. You can find copies of the letter hunting the KIA forums. Keyword Knock Sensor.

To answer your question directly, most problems don't seem to show up until past 60K miles. 2015's and 16's have fewer problems than earlier years. If you can plunk down a little more cash, get a 2016, its the next generation car with improvements worth the extra dough. And beefier connecting rod bearings.
Ooomps here's my location and car

Seattle, Washington USA
2015 Optima EX 2.4L 45,000 miles

·
Super Moderator
9,548 Posts
Ooomps here's my location and car

Seattle, Washington USA
2015 Optima EX 2.4L 45,000 miles
Good, now please add that to your sig.

Using the below link, please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your signature
With the recent forum platform change, the location and vehicle details in your profile no longer show in each post.

eg.
USA
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

https://www.kia-forums.com/account/signature

https://www.kia-forums.com/threads/forum-rules.27240/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts