Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im new here so thanks in advance, my son just bought an 06 kia rio 1.6 lx and is already having problems, first it would run for a day or so then when he would get in it to start it it wouldnt do nothing, but he could jump it off and it would fire right up and would be good for a few hours and then some time a few days but the last time was yesterday it wouldnt jump off so i thought it was the starter , i got under it and shorted the starter and it fired up got it to the house and put a new starter on and its doing the same thing, but you can started if you crawl under and short it out. im thinking maybe the ignition has problems , i dont know , but thanks for your alls replys.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ok about about this

does anyone know where the little wire that clips onto the starter goes to

·
Registered
12 Posts
I feel your pain with unanswered problems. I don't have an answer for you but it sounds similar to my problem. I think it is a problem with the evap system. Our rio will not crank but all dash lights, headlights, and everything else work fine. Then after trying to start it over and over for about 5 minutes it will crank up. Sometimes taking the gas cap off allows it to start, so my thoughts are that the fuel pressure sensor or some evap valve are faulty. I have a thread on here about my problem. You can read it and see if you have any other similar syptoms.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah

well mine will not turn over at all, i turn the key and nothing, dash lights work , head lights, horn, air and heat but will not turn the car over at all, but thanks for your reply

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,922 Posts
Ok since you are here now.... I'll ask...
Is it a manual or automatic transmission?
What is the mileage on the car?
Have you cleaned the battery's lead posts and the positive and negative leads at where they are bolted to the posts? (would start if jumped originally points to that)...
There is an interlock switch on the top of the automatic tranny that will keep the car from starting in only "N" (neutral) or "P" (park)...On the manual transmission there is a switch on the clutch pedal that will only allow the starter to turn over "if" the clutch is push in... There is also a starter relay (probably under the hood in the fuse box) that engages if either the clutch switch is engaged (manual) or the shift leaver is in P or N (automatic)...So I'd suggest checking those switches and the relay...
Dave

P.S. If you don't get a response to a post...You need to add a response in the way of a "BUMP" to keep your post "fresh" and visible over a period of time....Your original post can (and does) get "lost" if there is a lot of activity on the day you post it... By just responding to your own question with just "BUMP" keeps refreshing it so others can see it... and criticism will get your post ignored...

This is the first time I saw this thread and only because someone found it in the 2006~2010 RIO section and posted a response..

·
Super Moderator
6,922 Posts
RRTR...
I'd suggest you also check the starter relay under the hood...Manual/Automatic?
Dave

·
Super Moderator
6,922 Posts
On the automatic transmission...yes...
On the Manual transmission ...it's a clutch safety switch..
Both do the same ..they are "safety interlocks"
Dave

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok

i havent tried the safety switch yet, but i did check to see if i was getting any fire out of the little wire that goes to the starter and im not getting anything from it, does anyone know what fires it, thanks

·
Registered
2007 Rio5, 2012 Sorento EX-V6
113 Posts
I recommend checking the braided ground strap going from the engine to the firewall on the passenger side of the vehicle. These tend to turn green and do not allow sufficient current to the starter. If in doubt and want to test it, if it is not starting, take a jumper cable from the battery negative directly to the engine block and try starting again. If the battery is fine and battery cables are fine, odds are its the strap.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts