Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 SX Navi, it be Black Pearl... argh matey!
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't get me wrong, I love my new little Rio SX, but as I just stumbled on to the newly released Elantra GT, I have to say - it looks impressive too. In fact, I may have seriously considered spending the extra coin on this one if the timing was right.

Now I realize this isn't an apples to apples comparison - as the new Elantra GT is one class larger than the Rio (Compact vs Subcompact). But it has an almost identical EPA, and I'm sure that many of us compared vehicles in both these classes anyway - I know I did. And of course, it's a few grand more $$$

In comparing the top levels of each, it has most everything the Rio5 has, plus:

- Panoramic Sunroof
- Dual Zone Climate Control
- Power Driver's Seat
- Hidden Rear Camera
- Driver Selectable Steering
- Fold Flat Rear Seats
- Driver's Knee Airbag
- Front Wiper De-Icer
- More Interior Space

Styling is sensational! It really grabs me. It has very nice lines that mimic both the Rio and the Elantra sedan (which I like too). And while styling is personal taste, the GT certainly has a more sporty, aggressive stance and sharper lines than the Rio5 - which you may or may not like. But as the GT has some very trendy styling cues, I'm betting (hoping) that our Rio ages better ;)

To be fair - the GT is missing a few little things that our Rio's have:

- Heated Steering Wheel
- Power Folding Side Mirrors
- Front & Rear LED Lights
- Way Smaller (still cooled) Glovebox

·
Registered
2012 Rio EX Sedan UVO Auto/Tanzanite blue/tinted windows/Vent visors
313 Posts
Strange that the two cars have the same fuel economy

Hi, I tend to agree with you. Most new buyers will be hooked on the fuel economy argument at first, as I did. Back in March when I was shopping my new car, I had to decide between a compact (Elantra) and a sub-compact (Fiesta, Accent, Rio). I test drove the Elantra and "liked" it but was impressed with its fuel economy -advertised that is-. But I "loved" the Rio because of everything: size, design, options, etc. But when it came to fuel economy, I had a huge dilemma since both cars shows the same numbers. Only the near 4000 $ difference between the EX Rio and the GLS Elantra made me take the plunge with Kia. I expect new buyers to follow the same path. Have a dilemma when it comes to fuel economy but backing down when it comes to the price. But it's still strange to see the two cars having the same fuel economy. Can someone explain that mystery...

·
Registered
04 nissan sentra spec v
15 Posts
The new Elantra GT is a blast for what it is. The different steering wheel options are really nice but IMO.. almost pointless. It's almost like having memory settings for your seat when your the only person who drives your car. Once I find the setting I like for the steering wheel.. it's gonna stay there forever :) (which for me is sport mode I like a little more feedback and the quicker response, less slop too in the middle). But at 24500 to get all the goodies... your market has hugely opened up to a ton of different cars as well that you have to consider.

·
Registered
04 nissan sentra spec v
15 Posts
In reply to racineur

Because when the day is said and done, the Elentra is a nicer looking car, nicer on the interior as well and offers more options which the OP pointed out. Do you want the more updated looking and feeling car for 4k more? or do you want the economy car that gets the same MPG but for 4k less? You can get a stripped down version of the GT for under 20k (before taxes, title lisence).

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 SX Navi, it be Black Pearl... argh matey!
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Different stroke for different folks for sure. $24500 for all the goodies seems like a great bargain to me. Sure, more cars would pop up on your radar at that price, but not with anywhere near the same equipment levels. Depends, as you say, what you prefer in a vehicle (style? luxury? practicality? fuel economy?) - both the new Elantra GT and the Rio5 SX seem to hit all of these really well - just at different price points.

Again, I love my Rio... awesome little car! But damn, that GT has added even more features in it's favor... at a slightly higher price point of course. Seems like Hyundai/Kia know what they are doing - and aren't significantly treading on each others toes. This time, one hand does seem to know what the other is doing. huh.

·
Registered
2012 Optoma Hybrid (Light graphite)
169 Posts
I test drove a Elantra coupe a few weeks ago, I believe it was loaded. This is a very nice looking car! But after further thought, I didn't feel there was enough difference between it and the RIO to make the move.

It seemed more like a lateral move than vertical. For $24,500 you can get a well equipped Optoma in the States. It is a vertical move across the board.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts