Kia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the little spectra has wanted more attention again. daughter came home from work Friday and said that the CEL was back(rather angrily)! went and scanned it and found this code. Knowing of the POOR maint. this little car had before we got it, I will be taking out the CVVT solenoid and checking for oil sludging in it and the port in the cylinder head. Car runs fine and NO troubles there, but motor oil was always horrible black and nasty of the 4 previous changes I have done. So far on the current oil and filter the oil still looks like new with a little over 1 thousand miles on it. Will keep all informed here as to what I find(when I can pry the car from daughter AGAIN). And yes it has 10k been put on it since getting it in 10/16, and been using conventional oil, due to not knowing its previous history(Moil Super 10-30).

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
You may need to use a professional scan tool to check the duty cycle of the solenoid. 2 way comms function, comparing demanded %, vs actual.

FWIW, I have cured a couple with Shell T6 10W30 (high detergent), But that would be conclusive only if sticky..

... Philip

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have been VERY happy with the Mobil for ALL of my "ponies" in our "stable", as the Spectra is #5 in the "stalls"..LOL

I rather trust a mechanical issue in the solenoid(sludge chunk) or possible wire end connection inside the plastic plug end for the solenoid as to be at issue here on this car, I know it is not a TB concern as I recently checked that after rains interrupted doing the belt and H2O pump replacement that is planned for it. This car did not have much care given it by previous owners, That is NOT the case now! But to be honest, I still prefer my MOPARS.
THANKS for the input, and I will post my findings.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Friday when this happened, I cleared the code out, and then daughter went away for the weekend and put 150 miles on it. This a.m. there were no recurring codes. Will R&R and check the oil passages in the CVVT solenoid and head when she gets home from work this evening...STAY TUNED!

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well here is the VERDICT: Removed the CVVT solenoid and the bottom end had a fair amount of sludge and the pistons in the solenoid had a fairly heavy coating of shellac build up. Gave the motor a few spins to push out any sludge from the head area and soaked and cleaned the solenoid pistons and body. Put it back together and test drove it. Running FINE and live data looks good to go! No codes after 210 miles since it was last cleared on Friday. And yes I did clean up the minor oil spillage from the motor, need to keep things clean and pretty you know! :)

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well the problem has just started returning... Finally found the screen in the head for the system(on the end,low near the block and the 2 radiator hose route above and below the bolt head (14mm wrench). Was not clogged with "chunks", but the very fine mesh screen looked varnished over. carb cleaner sprayed and soaked it and reinstalled it. will see how the daughter reports over the next few days. Oh and it is due AGAIN for a shorter miles oil and filter change this weekend, has 3500 mile on it already! At least the oil still looks like oil and NOT black and nasty looking!

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well Eleven days and NO return of the code. Car running fine! :) :)

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
08/01/17 UPDATE:
NO problems at all with this code! :)

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
UPDATE: Still no return of this code problem, and motor oil still looks like motor oil and not black!

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cheer's back at you! I would expect that, just keeping things "up to date" as I do pop in and see the number of views that my main 2 threads seem to draw. And thanks to the NY rustbelt, am waiting for a new front exhaust pipe to arrive to take care of my main CEL code problem...darn leaks in exhaust anyway! Car is running great and brakes that I did are working very well.
LOVE how Rock auto parts have saved me in costs for this car far more than "local" stores and stealerships!

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Amazing what a little time and carb cleaner can do...Still running fine and NO return of ANY codes! Car running perfectly! :)
Still got to get to the gas cap holder strap.....

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
UPDATE: Well it's been a bit over a year now(actually almost 2 yrs.) since fixing this problem. Daughter called Sunday that for the first time in the last year+ that the CEL came on while driving. Said the car seemed to be running as normal, but she is scared to death of that light coming on(she always was with any car). Mind you that she's 50 miles away, so told her to find a local AutoZone and have them scan it. She called back that it was the P0011. I told her not to worry, that we'd gone thru this one before, and I would check it out when she comes out this Sunday for a visit. The little car is DUE for oil and filter and will recheck that screen when I do the oil change(& filter). She called last night that the light went out as normal when she started up for work Monday morning and has not come back on.
Will update findings next week after I get to work on it....Stay Tuned!

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well due to weather and Mothers Day ...The task did not get done, But light has not come back on since. Daughter is coming here for the weekend tonight and I will have the car ALL DAY tomorrow. I'm FINALLY going to have the time and weather to do the Timing Belt and H2O pump and such along with oil change and check that VVT screen! And even if it does rain I have access to a nice garage to do the job in, and may just do it there anyway!...STAY TUNED!...:)

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK, so this timing KIT job was no quite so easy as I thought it would be. 8 straight hours to get apart and replace the H2O pump, TB idler, tensioner and belt. Yes it was straight forward steps, but NY RUST GREMLINS made getting the 3 belts off a royal pain with the car being 10 years old and at 134.6k miles on it. IT did have a timing kit once in it's past life, as the parts were all stamped with GATES logo, but wow they looked in shabby shape. The pump gasket stayed completely on the motor side, I gave it a spray of PB BLASTER and used a single edge razor blade and the WHOLE gasket worked of without leaving any "chunks" to scrape off. What I did find on removing the TB and tensioner was that whoever did the work before did NOT have the tensioner mounted correctly, as there wasn't much tension working the hex keyed center part when I "played with that loosening and retightening it to see how it worked. After removing it, I saw a scrape make on the head from the locating tab that was not anywhere close to the soft plug recess that tab is to mount in. My Haynes book and instructions in the kit really let me down on actual mounting process, but after some time I did get it figured out. And yes the first attempt of 2 crank revolutions rendered me with the Cam sprocket ONE TOOTH past the alignment spot. Redid that and 2nd crank was spot on! Got everything buttoned back up and drove 30 miles home with the car...running like a champ!
OH and the P0011 has not showed up since my daughters frantic phone call, let's see...2 weeks ago???

1 - 15 of 15 Posts