Kia Forum banner

New Clocks In From Korea?

3K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  KiaMech 
#1 ·
I am the recent owner of a manual LX with a clock which resets frequently. I have been told by the dealer that it has been ordered. Does anyone know whether the faultfree batch has made its way to North America ( I am in Canada) from Korea yet? A comment somewhare on this list in late March said that the clocks were back ordered then.. TIA, ManuelH

#5 ·
There were a lot of Sorento's with the clock problem. Once Kia found out that their "clock dealer" made a boat-load of bad clocks, they immediately acted and had us change out nearly 6000 of them, working or not. Unfortunately many were shipped before the problem was found. I work for a company that handles their importing. Whenever a bad batch of anything turns up, they act as fast as possible and pass the repair work on to us, before it goes to the dealers. When the dealers get the vehicles, they want to sell them, not fix them. We are their first line of defense, so whenever I start to notice something going consistently wrong in any model, I notify the in-house Kia tech then he investigates and passes it on to Korea.

It only takes three of any one problem to start a full investigation.

#6 ·
If this is true about getting three hits to start a repair program then why hasen't anything been done about the notorious thumping sound or feeling that happens when you come to a stop. Seems that every sevice place is just guesing on how to repair the problem and there are quite a few of us out there that have complained about this.

#7 ·
I have more of a direct link to people that are in charge of looking into these things. When we have the cars, they are new. So when we start to notice a possible trend, it's taken very seriously so that the cars can be repaired before they go to the dealer. Basically, the faster we find problems, the less chance they have to get out of hand.

A lot of cars leave us before problems even start, so obviously we can't find them if they aren't there yet.

I am new to this forum, but I've owned an '03 Sorento since it was new. I haven't had, or heard of the problems you are talking about. Can you fill me in a little more on the problems?

#8 ·
The weird rear end phenomena is one of the first things I noticed about my 04 sorento. It feels like that either the rear brakes release after the front does or there is a binding in the rear suspension that releases when the brakes are released. I've grown accustom to it but it's definately there and not normal.

#11 ·
I believe the thump is associated with what is going on in the rear end of the vehicle. I hear it when this happens. As for hearing it all you need to do is keep anything that might mask the sound off like the stereo and keep the ac fan on low. I'm beginning to wonder if there is a design flaw with the rear suspension geometry which is causing this to happen when the rear unloads under braking.

#12 ·
So, is it like hciaffa said and happens when you come to a stop, or like Puffnstuff said and happens when you release the brake? Two different problems?

I haven't drove my '03 yet, but I drove a few '05's today. I noticed that when you come to a stop, you feel a slight "something". I don't think this is a design flaw or a braking problem, it just feels like the torque converter is changing pressure right before the stop is complete.

Does this sound like what anyone is experiencing?

I'll drive my '03 today and see if I notice anything funny.

#13 ·
thumping? now that somebody has mentioned it...now i have noticed it as well from a startup after a stop, in the rear of the vehicle "very silght dull thump" unless your were listening for it, in my case you would not notice it. i will not worry about it unless the wife hears it, LOL.
it is not related (what i hear) to TOD or anti-lock brakes because i don't have those items

#14 ·
just to add my 2 pennies. I have heard a small, almost indistinct sound from the rear end when first starting out. It seems to occur primarily when I am turning from a stop. it does not like a thump, more like some paper being moved or russtled. My wife hears it more readily than I do. I haven't really worried about it and have wondered whether this is something people on motorcycle lists call "character" (like the vibration one eperiences on some bikes), may be the Sorento has character and that is it. I am sure it does it, and I would like to know what it is, but since so many people report it, I will not allow it to worry me. My best guess is that it has somehting to do with the rear differential in two-wheel drive or with the release of the brake. cheers, Manuel

#15 ·
I just got back from driving my '03 (4x4) for a while, specifically listening for these noises. I tried every variation or starting, stopping, and turning and the only noises I heard were coming from the tire iron sliding around in the rear compartment. After I removed it, there was no noise. This may not be the same noise you're hearing, but it's something to check.

After I parked it, I went around moving the car up and down, and banging on things that might make noise. The rear glass seems like it could make noise if it was not adjusted correctly. I could get it to make noise by lightly tapping on the handle, but didn't hear it when I was driving. If anyone thinks that this is a possiblilty, just put some of those adhesive bumps (like what's used to stop you're cupboards from slamming) on the glass snubbers. The idea is to make the snubbers push the glass out some, putting it under a light tension.

I also noticed that the jack is back there. Make sure yours is secure.

I'm kind of out of ideas, because I can't seem to duplicate what you guys are hearing. If you have any other suggestions, please let me know so I can check it out.

#16 ·
My god, KiaMech, I think you got it - at least for me. When I opened the back (lited the floor to expose the back storage area above the spare),I noticed again how fancy a car this is. There was the "wheel lug nut wrench" (owner's manual, pp 6-19 to 6-23) in its onw heavy protective velour cover held in place by two stips of elastic straps attached to the strorage area. The jack handle could be securely fastened in iits own brackets, but the wheel lug nut wrech could move a litte even within its straps. I think this would have caused the rustling (quietly whooshing) sound I had attempted to dexcribe earlier. I tried to fasten the wrecch more securely in its straps and will listen to it again. Should I hear it again, I will securely place the wheel lug wrench in some secure other place in the car, when I am sure, that I will not hear the noise.

:) Thank you KiaMech, you have solved what was a minor problem for me and have given me more faith in a car which for me is a real pleasure to drive, but which I had begun to doubt because of some minor problems, somewhat sloppy prepareation and an indifferent service manager.

Best, Manuel from Penetqang, ONtario, Canada, a happier owner of a 4X4 manual Sorento LX.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.