Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I am new to the forums as I have just purchased a 2011 Cee'd, 1.6 petrol automatic (UK '61 plate). So far I have been really happy with everything, except the driving position. I know that the answer to this is probably just 'live with it', but thought I post something just in case...

It feel to me that the pedals are too close, and I get horrible leg ache after about 10 minutes of driving and just really want to extend my leg a little more. The seat is fully back, and as low as I can make it while still reaching the steering wheel. I've only had it just under 3 weeks, but I'm seriously considering taking it back if the leg ache persists. I don't suppose anyone knows if the pedals can be moved back, 20mm would probably do. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
65 Posts
The pedals are fixed. Any attempt to move them will create possible safety issues with the operation of brakes etc. plus if you did make changes you would have to inform the insurance company (car modifications) and they would probably require a very expensive engineers report. Any changes you make will probably make the car very difficult to sell later.

To need the seat back as far as possible you must be very tall. I am average build and find the driving position fine, just done 430 miles in 7 hours with no aches whatsoever. If you raise the seat slightly you will find that the relationship between seat and steering wheel changes, this may help.

There is no way you will be able to return the car for a comfort reason, the dealer will quite rightly say you should have satisfied yourself about that before buying.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I have 30 days cooling off period, but its madness to change the car I know. Still, a 20 minute journey to work leaves me with 3-4 hours of leg ache in my right leg.

I'm not tall, I'm 5'10'' and average build. It should be fine for my height, that's what's frustrating me really. I did wonder if it's an issue of thigh support rather than pedal position, the seats do seem a bit short. I guess seat covers are out due to the airbags though

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I have the steering wheel fully extended; but my back and my arms are fine, as is my left foot on the dead pedal. Just my driving leg that hurts. I'm going to go sit in some of my works friend's cars at lunch time, to see if it's just me being weird

·
Registered
943 Posts
Yes I have the steering wheel fully extended; but my back and my arms are fine, as is my left foot on the dead pedal. Just my driving leg that hurts. I'm going to go sit in some of my works friend's cars at lunch time, to see if it's just me being weird
I am 6', do not have the seat in its fully back position, and have the steering wheel right forward. I find this comfortable for long periods but I do like to sit in an upright position. If the seat was right back I would not be able to fully depress the clutch pedal. Are you talking about a Ceed?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am talking about a Cee'd yes, but an automatic. I prefer an upright position myself, but find the angle of the pedals quite uncomfortable, I also feel like they are set slightly to the left to allow for the wheel arch. If the pedal angle wasn't quite as steep that would help, but again I'm guessing that is fixed with no possible adjustment

Test drives just aren't long enough to figure this stuff out for me, I usually get used to new driving positions within a week, but not this time

·
Registered
audi a3 quattro kia ceed sr7 petrol
24 Posts
Hi everyone, I am new to the forums as I have just purchased a 2011 Cee'd, 1.6 petrol automatic (UK '61 plate). So far I have been really happy with everything, except the driving position. I know that the answer to this is probably just 'live with it', but thought I post something just in case...

It feel to me that the pedals are too close, and I get horrible leg ache after about 10 minutes of driving and just really want to extend my leg a little more. The seat is fully back, and as low as I can make it while still reaching the steering wheel. I've only had it just under 3 weeks, but I'm seriously considering taking it back if the leg ache persists. I don't suppose anyone knows if the pedals can be moved back, 20mm would probably do. Thanks in advance
Hi fishpond welcome, i only joined this month too and i also drive the 1.6 auto,im only a short one at 5ft 5 and have no problems. I had this problem when driving a renault 5 many years ago, aching right leg due to throttle pedal on the high side, i ended up sitting on a cushion which worked at least i kept the car for a few years,so it may seem daft but if desperate you could try a cushion:rolleyes:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had this problem when driving a renault 5 many years ago, aching right leg due to throttle pedal on the high side, i ended up sitting on a cushion which worked at least i kept the car for a few years,so it may seem daft but if desperate you could try a cushion:rolleyes:
Well it's nice to know I'm not the only one in the world with leg ache, a lot of people I've mentioned this to seem to look at me as if I'm making it all up. I may get some various bits of foam from the market and try to make a cushion

·
Registered
Cee'd VR-7
391 Posts
I'm 6ft3ins and do have the seat right back. I find the seat and driving position comfortable, unlike many other cars I have driven in my life. However, I do agree that the pedals are a bit to close together for my size 12 "plates of meat"!

·
Registered
Kia Cee'd Sportswagon GT-line 1.6 CRDi (134bhp) Automatic 7spd-DCT
280 Posts
There seems to be a bit of confusion here about the pedals being too close to the driver's seat or being too close to each other.

An automatic has only two pedals, so the latter is not Fishpond's problem. On long journeys the lack of movement in the right leg at a steady throttle position can lead to discomfort. IMHO, mainly because it is not relaxed like the left foot on the rest, it is tensed in that it is finely controlling your speed. I found that with my C-Max my leg muscles ached after a while. That's why I was delighted to have Cruise Control with both my cee'ds. The right leg position can be changed from time to time. I have my seat jacked-up to it's highest setting and fairly upright for better all round vision and find that most comfortable anyway. I drive for up to 5 hours non-stop on long journeys without any problem.

Does the automatic have Cruise Control?

·
Registered
2010 ceed sw2 and a bit BD59FHY
95 Posts
As I fast aproach 60, I found that I got an achey accelerator leg. I found the perfect cure, I invested in cruise control and use it all the time with my feet flat on the floor. Before someone writes in saying my foot should not be there, I would reply that that is what 'reading the road' is all about and it takes as long to come off the accelerator and onto the brake as it takes to come off the floor and onto the brake. When the traffic is unsuitable for it, I find that my legs OK because I am moving it around the pedals. As soon as theres a clear bit, on goes the cruise again.

·
Registered
Kia Cee'd Sportswagon GT-line 1.6 CRDi (134bhp) Automatic 7spd-DCT
280 Posts
As I fast aproach 60, I found that I got an achey accelerator leg. I found the perfect cure, I invested in cruise control and use it all the time with my feet flat on the floor. Before someone writes in saying my foot should not be there, I would reply that that is what 'reading the road' is all about and it takes as long to come off the accelerator and onto the brake as it takes to come off the floor and onto the brake. When the traffic is unsuitable for it, I find that my legs OK because I am moving it around the pedals. As soon as theres a clear bit, on goes the cruise again.
Spot on, 100%. That's exactly what I do, and I'm 76. I bought my first cee'd SW with Cruise Control in Oct. '07, well over four-and-a-half years ago now and this 'modus operandi' works a treat.:) Pointless having CC if your foot is hovering around the pedals; your leg is not relaxed.

·
Registered
2010 Kia Cee'd SW 1.4 EX
92 Posts
When i bought my SW in 2010 it won over a Ford Focus on comfort in the driver's seat. I am 2 meters tall and i find the cabin quite spaceous. You should play a little with the seat position (all three parameters: distance, height and back rest angle) and the steering wheel position (both depthe and height) to fing your perfect driving setup. I, personally, find the ceed quite comfortable even during long drives (500+ km) and my SW lacks cruise control. First several weeks i was changing the driving setup every day to find my ideal position and now i am happy. I like it when i raise the seat a bit, but that brings the seat a bit closer to the wheel and my knees don't like that since they hit the wheel or the key or the middle console, but it might help in your case. Do experiment a bit.

·
Registered
Cee'd VR-7
391 Posts
When I said that I found the pedals to close together, I meant the brake and accelerator ones. I have a manual car, but I guess it would still be the same with a automatic.

·
Registered
RIP :( 2010 Pro_Cee'd - Infra Red 2
863 Posts
Welcome to the forum fishpond, really hope you can get comfy in your new steed. I honestly can't fully press the gas pedal if the seat's all the way back, so maybe you have longer legs & shorter torso than me?

I'm also 6 foot with a 'regular' 32" inside leg. When it's 'just right' for me I can see about 1.5" of the rails in front the drivers seat.

I used to put the seat to it's lowest position, but have since pumped it up a few notches, and pulled the steering column out about an inch.
Regularly adjust the seat back on long journeys to give my back/arms a break from the same position.

My commute's about an hour each way, in 'business dress' mode so proper shoes not flat soles. I've done 21k in 15 months and find it quite comfortable to be honest.

With luck and a bit of fettling I'm sure you'll get it feeling right mate :)
ps: I don't find the pedals off centre at all, have driven auto Ceed and Rio, plus last & current Picanto's. The new Picanto pedals did seem a tad left & too small for my size 9 feet though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My Cee'd does have cruise control, which was fantastic on my first long-distance journey last weekend. So bizarrely I found 4 hours to the coast far more comfortable than 20 minutes to work.

I have messed around with the seat a lot over the last few days; I really want a high, upright driving position but I'll have to concede that the pedal position & angle doesn't suit that for me in this car. I have managed to greatly reduce the pain in my leg by putting the seat at its lowest and farthest back position. My arms have to really stretch to reach the wheel, but it's just about OK. My aim is to slightly raise the seat position over the course of a few weeks, to try and get my legs used to it slowly.

·
Registered
RIP :( 2010 Pro_Cee'd - Infra Red 2
863 Posts
Fingers crossed you'll find a sweet spot that works for you mate.
Guess there's not much opportunity to use the CC on a 20 minute commute :(

·
Registered
273 Posts

Totally confused by this and Fishponds subsequent post where he says he is 5' 10" tall.

Before I posted I have checked how my seat is set and I am 5' 9" tall. Well its nowhere near all the way back but it is at its lowest position. The steering wheel is as close to me as I can get it and at a height such that I can see all the gauges clearly. Have to say its near perfect and I can drive 450 miles in a day with no issues, if I had to be picky it would be nice if the wheel would come another inch closer.

Tried the seat all the way back this morning and there is no way I could drive like that, I would not be in control of the car and my feet/legs would be at such an angle I would get severe leg/ankle pain. Considering Fishpond is only an inch taller I can understand why he is having difficulties.

So my opinion is there is nothing wrong with the car, its simply a matter that Fishpond is trying to drive the car with the seat way too far back, this is clearly the opinion of the other answers to this thread.

Try moving the seat to a sensible position, it will make a huge difference.

One other thing, don't try adding cushions, its dangerous. Seats are designed to work in an accident situation and protect the occupant, adding cushions can affect the safety.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wow, well my seat is all the way back and although the steering wheel is a bit of a stretch I still have both hands on there, and I can reach the pedals absolutely fine. So I guess I must just have freaky proportions or something?

I absolutely don't want to have the seat all the way back, it's just the only position that doesn't give me leg ache.

I will happily put this down to the fact that I'm a freak of nature

1 - 20 of 37 Posts