Kia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
'13 RIO 5
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why are almost all new cars so sluggish. I mean, I have a 13 Rio5, my mom has a 10 Maxima, and my sister has a 10 Yaris, and I have driven every one of them and they are all sooo sluggish, (the nissan, not that much, but still). Before the Rio5 I had a 03 camry, and the ride was so smooth, if I let the car go, it would go, with his own weight, with no restraint, why can't I feel this with any new car, they feel like there's something holding them back, like, if you go at 15 mph and you just take your foot of the gas, the car just feel like its breaking itself, and its very noticeable... and its pretty annoying... maybe it got something to do with security or something... can I fix this... let me know if you do... ((or its only me:huh:))

·
Registered
kia rio sedan
102 Posts
no no, thats just the way the motor of the car is, but thats just saving gas thing, you feel like it hold back when you stop aceleratingl it happem to me to, just learn to control it, use the trictonic and you may not feel it again.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
The cars you mention are not known for high performance, although you will get some decent speed from the Maxima (depending on engine). You're talking about 0-60 MPH acceleration times of around 10 seconds for these cars. Maybe you need a Dodge Viper or AMG 63?

Foot off the gas at 15 MPH and it's breaking? Don't you mean braking? Most cars, manual or automatic will tend to slow down when you take your foot off the gas while the car is in gear. The '03 Camry wasn't a bad car, but it's not a high performance car either.

·
Registered
2013 Rio 5 EX White MT
105 Posts
The newer the car the more they are controlled by the ECU. Instead of the old carburetors that still provided a bit of fuel when you took your foot off the accelerator, the ECU can now directly control the amount of fuel using the direct injection and slow the car without having to use the brakes as much. Is yours a manual or auto tranny? Rapid acceleration on a manual is limited by the ECU using the clutch pedal sensor, probably to reduce wear and tear.

·
Registered
'13 RIO 5
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The cars you mention are not known for high performance, although you will get some decent speed from the Maxima (depending on engine). You're talking about 0-60 MPH acceleration times of around 10 seconds for these cars. Maybe you need a Dodge Viper or AMG 63?

Foot off the gas at 15 MPH and it's breaking? Don't you mean braking? Most cars, manual or automatic will tend to slow down when you take your foot off the gas while the car is in gear. The '03 Camry wasn't a bad car, but it's not a high performance car either.
Yeah, I meant braking, sorry. Tha Maxima is 6 cylinders, so its the best one, but what I mean is like a feeling of fast deaceleration, and it being annoing, its not like I want to race or anything, but thanks.

·
Registered
'13 RIO 5
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no no, thats just the way the motor of the car is, but thats just saving gas thing, you feel like it hold back when you stop aceleratingl it happem to me to, just learn to control it, use the trictonic and you may not feel it again.
The active eco thing is of if thats what you mean, but yeah its gonna take some getting use to it, its still pretty annoying, Ill try with the shiftronicand see, thanks.

·
Registered
'13 RIO 5
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The newer the car the more they are controlled by the ECU. Instead of the old carburetors that still provided a bit of fuel when you took your foot off the accelerator, the ECU can now directly control the amount of fuel using the direct injection and slow the car without having to use the brakes as much. Is yours a manual or auto tranny? Rapid acceleration on a manual is limited by the ECU using the clutch pedal sensor, probably to reduce wear and tear.
Its auto, thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SLS and 09 Mitsubishi Lancer
463 Posts
Its a combination of drive-by-wire throttles and launch/colision control systems. Most new cars are all drive by wire and the downside of it is throttle delay. Pair it up with the traction systems and if your putting your foot down the car will think you are about to have an accident and it will cut throttle response further.

What you find many journalists do is they switch traction control off to get faster acceleration.

Its not to say the combo is bad its that they are set up that way for a reason. Unintentional acceleration and forgetfullness of which pedal is which

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio Si
87 Posts
Try this -take the car out of gear (neutral) and let it coast. What happens? It coasts freely.

The GDI motor in the Rio is actually quite high compression - being direct injection and as a means to improve efficiency (although not has high compression as Mazda Skyactiv engines). Simply put, the compression ratio means there is a higher mass of air per piston stroke thus more mechanical (for the lack of a better word) resistance.

·
Registered
'13 RIO 5
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Try this -take the car out of gear (neutral) and let it coast. What happens? It coasts freely.

The GDI motor in the Rio is actually quite high compression - being direct injection and as a means to improve efficiency (although not has high compression as Mazda Skyactiv engines). Simply put, the compression ratio means there is a higher mass of air per piston stroke thus more mechanical (for the lack of a better word) resistance.
Thats actually what I do, I use neutral a lot, :D having a lot of downhill where I live, thanks for the info! What do you think it does ( the coasting) to the gas consumption? Improves it, or not that much of a change,? i mean with this kind of motor.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
I use neutral a lot, :D having a lot of downhill where I live, thanks for the info! What do you think it does (the coasting) to the gas consumption? Improves it, or not that much of a change?
Coasting out of gear isn't considered a safe practice; I think "neutral" was mantioned as a test that you could do to demonstrate the effect of removing the engine braking. Best to keep the car in gear (drive), so you can immediately accelerate if required. Also saves wear on the brakes.

As for the fuel consumption, the fuel injection is normally shut off with your foot off the accelerator EXCEPT if you are coasting. A small amount of fuel is required to keep th engine idling.

·
Registered
Tanz. Blue 2012 Rio Sedan,Al White 2013 Toyota PriusV
384 Posts
Coasting out of gear isn't considered a safe practice; I think "neutral" was mantioned as a test that you could do to demonstrate the effect of removing the engine braking. Best to keep the car in gear (drive), so you can immediately accelerate if required. Also saves wear on the brakes.

As for the fuel consumption, the fuel injection is normally shut off with your foot off the accelerator EXCEPT if you are coasting. A small amount of fuel is required to keep th engine idling.
But dont take our random words for it haha another LANK

1 - 18 of 18 Posts