Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new Optima, and the dial on Engine Temperature Gauge has always been left of the centre. Is his normal?

(I don't live in the arctic and the weather is not cold today)

Photo of the temperature gauge attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Temp. gauges are very rarely calibrated with the actual temperature. You just have to get used to the normal position. The "Centre" position on your gauge has no special significance. You could rationalise your reading by noting that there are 7 divisions between C and H, and your needle is at about halfway.

You could expect to see a rise of 1 or 2 divisions if the engine started to get hot (Hill, A/C on hot day). Start worrying if the needle gets near the red zone.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,411 Posts
That is normal position at operating temperature. Even at temperature to operate the fans, at 203°, the gauge will read just under 1/2.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,539 Posts
I agree too, that is normal reading, I've had two Kia's and they both read in the same position. It makes no difference whether its 35C out or -30C its still goes to the same position when the engine gets to its proper operating temperature.

hc613, we don't know where you live?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for the info. I feel much better about my engine now!

conwelpic, I live in Ottawa, Canada.

·
Registered
2011 Optima SX, Tech & Premium Touring
570 Posts
On the SX it's just under 1/2 too, normal.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,539 Posts
Thanks guys for the info. I feel much better about my engine now!

conwelpic, I live in Ottawa, Canada.
great, now if you could just fill this out in your LOCATION on the left side and also while your at it fill out the details on what you are driving - thanks. It makes it so much easier for us to answer questions when we have these details. This is a worldwide forum and vehicles are not equipped the same in every country.

·
Registered
2011 Optima LX M/T
106 Posts
I noticed that my Toyota operates with the temp needle in the same position. I speculate that a focus group, many years ago, determined that human beings feel their car is running at a good temperature if it's "just below half."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts