Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
'13 Rio 5-Door EX, '09 MINI Cooper S, '86 Syncro Westfalia
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I am new to this forum and hopefully new to Kia ownership in the not-so-distant future.

My girlfriend and I are giving serious consideration to a Kia Rio 5-door for her next car. This would be her daily driver, with the bulk of the miles being her freeway commute to work (So Cal). After some research, we are both pretty excited that a Rio could be perfect (ie: I'm really impressed by the specs, reviews, styling and warranty; she thinks it's cute and doesn't hate the interior).

So we're thinking of buying within the next 6 months and I'm interested in hearing owner's thoughts/experiences on the various trim levels, packages, and options. What do you like/don't like? Must haves? What's worth the money/not? What would you change if you could do over? UVO any good? 2012 vs 2013 model? Extended warranty? And FWIW, while we've owned many vehicles, this would be our first new purchase.

Must have items at this point include: power windows/doors, auto trans

Would be nice to have: USB/iPod connectivity, Bluetooth integration

If there's room in the budget: alloy wheels, navigation

Really no need for: performance upgrades, fancy sound system, 17"+ wheels,

I'm thinking EX + Convenience package. Configured online, that puts us right around our $18k budget. Anyway, I'd love to get first-hand recommendations, thoughts and general advice from you all.

Thanks!

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,536 Posts
So we're thinking of buying within the next 6 months and I'm interested in hearing owner's thoughts/experiences on the various trim levels, packages, and options. What do you like/don't like? Must haves? What's worth the money/not? What would you change if you could do over? UVO any good? 2012 vs 2013 model? Extended warranty? And FWIW, while we've owned many vehicles, this would be our first new purchase.

Must have items at this point include: power windows/doors, auto trans

Would be nice to have: USB/iPod connectivity, Bluetooth integration

If there's room in the budget: alloy wheels, navigation

Really no need for: performance upgrades, fancy sound system, 17"+ wheels,

I'm thinking EX + Convenience package. Configured online, that puts us right around our $18k budget. Anyway, I'd love to get first-hand recommendations, thoughts and general advice from you all.

Thanks!
sounds like you've already picked the one you want, but you do know that you can't get Nav with a EX, its only an option on the SX, but you can easily get a portable after market unit to solve that problem.
Unless you do something quite quickly your problem with either 2012 or 2013 model will be solved, as 2013 have been in production for a while, so the odds of perhaps getting a 2012 in the model and colour you want maybe tough even now.

USB and Bluetooth are standard on the EX and with convenience package you also are getting the 15" allloy's so that problem is solved.

I don't own a Rio but have the UVO system and thoroughly enjoy it, just so convenient and as you know that comes with your convenience pak. Sounds like the SX model would give you too much and stuff you don't need.

Extended warranties are generally not worth it, but that's your decision. I would never purchase one, Consumers Reports have done tests on them and generally the vast majority of the time its not needed and then when you do it can be difficult to get coverage as there is so many exclusions. Factory extended warranties are better than aftermarket. It's probably cheaper to invest the cost of the warranty into some bonds/stocks and let it make money for when you might need it later.
You have more or less 5 years complete coverage on the Rio (there is some exclusions, so check the warranty coverage details) and 10 years on the power-train components. How much more do you need?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Go for the SX. You can find a 2012 SX under 18k.
It's a consideration. However, the website shows only one within a 100 mile radius of me, but we were at that dealer yesterday and was told they had no 2012s.

Were there any notable changes between 2012 and 2013 models?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sounds like you've already picked the one you want, but you do know that you can't get Nav with a EX, its only an option on the SX
Ah, I had not realized that. That's okay, we can do without nav.

so the odds of perhaps getting a 2012 in the model and colour you want maybe tough even now.
True enough.

USB and Bluetooth are standard on the EX and with convenience package you also are getting the 15" allloy's so that problem is solved.
Yes, the alloys, along with UVO, are the key selling points for me on the Convenience Pack.

You have more or less 5 years complete coverage on the Rio (there is some exclusions, so check the warranty coverage details) and 10 years on the power-train components. How much more do you need?
The warranty is a HUGE check in favor of the Kia for us. And on that note (and I'm sure this is the subject of a whole new topic and has probably already been covered)... What is the long-term reliability of Kia? It is my perception that both Hyundai and Kia have reinvented themselves in recent years and have made big gains in the market share. I'm making an assumption that reliability has approved accordingly, but it's hard to tell. By most reports I read online, its seems that reliability is at least average or better. It is a concern though, as many of the new models have not been around for long.

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
my previous vehicle was a KIA and because it was so reliable I traded it in on another KIA. Reliability has a lot to do with how well you maintain it, so follow the maintenance schedule and generally you should be fine for a long time to come.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Good to hear. Thanks.

Another question... What are owner's opinion of the rear camera option? I hadn't given it any serious consideration (I've never had one personally), but we test drove a 5-door over the weekend and my GF's only major complaint was the view out the back. This was during normal driving and I would imagine in a parking situation, that poor rearward view would be even more problematic.

How useful/well-implemented is the Rio's rear camera?

In everyday driving, have you adjusted to the somewhat poor rearward visibility?

BTW, she also test drove a Scion xD, after which she was comparatively impressed with the visibility and general ergonomics. While I have a lot of appreciation for Scion, I'm really rooting for the little Kia here!

·
Registered
14 Forte SX Koupe,15 Soul EX,58 & 90 Rolls Royces,92 Mercedes 500SL
333 Posts
SX is well worth the extra cost over the EX if you want all that comes with it. EX is sensible shoes & SX is Gucci.It's all a matter if you are buying what you need vs what you want. I stepped up & bought the SX & have no regrets. Ride quality is firmer with the 17" wheels but handling is crisper & more precise & I prefer it & I'm 66! You can't sell an old man's car to a young man but you can sell a young man's car to an old man:).

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 SX Navi, it be Black Pearl... argh matey!
131 Posts
I considered the EX, but eventually settled on the SX Navi. Why? Well, it's definitely a nicer sounding stereo (although no mention of this by Kia), the bigger screen for the backup camera is great (especially with the small rear window) and I prefer how it looks in the dash vs the UVO or standard deck.

Plus, the SX came with all sorts of neat features: 17" Wheels (look very nice), LED lighting front and rear, projector headlights, leather, heated steering wheel, cooled glove box, push button start, smart key system, auto climate control... and a bunch of other stuff too. It feels quite luxurious! And for once, I don't feel like I'm missing out on something. Totally worth the extra $$$.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the input! The SX is definitely enticing. For some reason, the Kia website doesn't yet have the SX pricing. Can anyone tell the approximate price difference over the EX?

Also, can anyone offer any feedback regarding my concerns [see above] about the rear-window visibility (lack there-of) as well as the effectiveness of the back-up camera? At this point, the rear window issue is a major concern for my GF. We definitely plan to go back and get more cockpit time to see if we can cope with it. But at this point, day-to-day experience from owner's is more valuable.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2012 Black Kia Rio5 SX w/ Nav, 2005 Honda Odyssey EX
190 Posts
Love the back up camera. Works best on larger screen of the NAVI. Now that i have it i could not live without it. My van doesn't have one and i wish it did. Back window not a problem for me.

·
Registered
12' KIA Rio5 SX & 15' KIA Sedona SXL
76 Posts
Thanks for all the input! The SX is definitely enticing. For some reason, the Kia website doesn't yet have the SX pricing. Can anyone tell the approximate price difference over the EX?

Also, can anyone offer any feedback regarding my concerns [see above] about the rear-window visibility (lack there-of) as well as the effectiveness of the back-up camera? At this point, the rear window issue is a major concern for my GF. We definitely plan to go back and get more cockpit time to see if we can cope with it. But at this point, day-to-day experience from owner's is more valuable.

Thanks!
In my opinion, the rear-window visibility is average compared to my Honda Accord sedan & Honda Civic Si Hatchback. The back-up camera in the Rio5 is definitely effective, functional, & beneficial with a very decent wide angle view!!! Paid around 18k for my SX!

Good luck in whatever you decide!!! :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the feedback. In the reviews I read, one of the minor gripes was the view out the back, so when my GF commented on it, it made sense.

But again, we plan to go back and do more test driving. Perhaps we can better adjust things to reduce the problem.

As a side note, I see very few Rios around (in Orange County). There's a fair amount of Optimas and Sportages rolling around, but I've seen exactly TWO Rios on the road since we became interested in the car a few weeks ago. Interesting...

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 SX Navi, it be Black Pearl... argh matey!
131 Posts
In the reviews I read, one of the minor gripes was the view out the back, so when my GF commented on it, it made sense.
As someone who's sold cars - I used to hear that complaint all the time with Hondas too. Rear window too small, front & rear pillars too big, can't see properly . . . blah blah blah. Yes, it does make sense I suppose. But really, every car will be a compromise - balancing visibility, style and structural safety.

The reality is, once you buy the car (any car for that matter) you end up adjusting to it's little idiosyncrasies. And the Rio, with it's great backup camera - more than makes up for the apparent small window.

My complaining Honda customers never once complained after owing it for a while, and I even made a point of asking them. The Rio will be the same I'm sure.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Well, 5 months later and it's a done deal. We bought a 2013 5-door EX in white, fully-loaded. It's awesome! I'm amazed at the bang-for-buck this thing provides. Kinda puts my mostly base MINI Cooper S to shame.

Will get some pics up as soon as it stops raining.

But, I have a question about extended warranties in the meantime...

So, this is my girlfriend's car. While in general, I don't believe that extended warranties represent a good value, the finance manager convinced us [under the harsh lights of his tiny sterile office] that the 10 yr / 100,000 "Wrap" coverage was a good buy. But I woke up in the middle of the night last night having second thoughts. :(

What initially surprised me is that the factory 5 yr / 60,000 "bumper to bumper" warranty (as marketed to me by salesmen) has exclusions. So, things like paint and audio/entertainment are only factory warranted for 3 yr / 36,000. Friendly finance guy proceeds to tell us that these electronics are often what break. The extended plan we purchase supposedly extends all warranties out to 10yr/ 100k, hence doubling or tripling the warranty period of certain components.

Anyway, I wasn't really expecting this nugget sprung on me, and with my GF leaning heavily toward the peace of mind of the extended warranty, and being forced to make a game-time decision, we sprung the $1400 for it.

I guess that's all sort of irrelevant. I really just want to know what other people's opinion / experience is with extended warranties, filing claims, their coverage, the factory warranty, and Kia's general trouble spots.

I know with the VW's I've had in the past, it was often interior electronics / electrical gremlins that were the problem. I would hate for something like that UVO touchscreen to die at month 61. Surely, stuff like that is not cheap. Then again, neither is a $1400 service contract! Then again, that's cheaper than similar contracts I've seen for other cars. :confused:

I'm still awaiting a call back from the finance manager to discuss some of the specifics of the contract which are unclear to me. I also don't know if cancellation is an option. But I hope I can get some feedback here in the meantime.

Thanks.

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
generally extended warranties on any product are not worth the money and most problems occur during the normal warranty period. Consumers Reports has done extensive studies on them and found that it is extremely rare to get your value and when you do try to claim there is so many exclusions that you have problems trying to reimbursed.

Dealers/sellers also make a lot of profit on these packages, so they will really sell them. Anyway too late now, should have asked before purchase. I personally would never purchase any extended warranty on any product. If you feel you need it, invest the $1400 in some money making stocks or bonds and then in the 5-10 years when you need it, you will be far better off, by then it could be worth quite a few thousand.

Any vehicle maintained the way the factory maintenance schedule suggests will look after you for a long time.

·
Registered
2013 Soul+ Shadow, 1970 Opel GT 1.9 CIH 4M
142 Posts

Thanks!
Backup camera is awesome, no complaints even at night

Both my wife and I think rear-window visibility is fine. She is 5'2" and I am 6'0"

Latest firmware on UVO works great. Voice recognition has improved considerably with the new update. Very impressive for this class of car.

Heated/Folding mirrors on the EX are the cats a$$

The SX Model will (tend to) have more rattles than an EX due to the nature of the suspension. But you may prefer better handling over less noise. Even an SX, however, will not handle as well as a Ford Fiesta. The Fiesta has the awesome suspension without any rattles

You are smart by asking these questions before buying the car!

Also DO NOT BUY THE ISG OPTION. It is quirky and needs "driver participation" to get any benefit from it. I "live" with it, but I would not recommend it to a friend.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
generally extended warranties on any product are not worth the money and most problems occur during the normal warranty period.
I appreciate the feedback. As I mentioned, that's generally my viewpoint on the matter too. I was just taken off guard at signing when they mentioned that the 5yr / 60k warranty excludes things like paint and audio - both items that failed prematurely on another vehicle I owned. My fault for not fully understanding the warranty ahead of time.

So while I himmed and hawwed at the table, my GF was pushing to take the extended warranty. Afterall, it's her car. I just was feeling a bit guilty after the fact that I didn't "advise her" strongly enough against it. I had asked the finance manager if there was a time window to add the warranty later, but the dude said it would cost more (ha, yeah, of course).

Anyway, since then, my GF says she's still more comfortable having the extended warranty. And if that helps her sleep better at night, then so will I. :) That said, we are still trying to clarify some of the extended warranty terms, as the 1-page document I have is very brief. I called the warranty contract provider directly, and they assure me that everything in question are covered. But, I am trying to get a hold of something more comprehensive in writing from the dealer to be certain.

If anyone has first-hand experience with extended warranties/claims with Kia or the warranty provider, "Century," I would still like to hear.

Thanks again. Love the car.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Backup camera is awesome, no complaints even at night

Both my wife and I think rear-window visibility is fine. She is 5'2" and I am 6'0"

Latest firmware on UVO works great. Voice recognition has improved considerably with the new update. Very impressive for this class of car.

Heated/Folding mirrors on the EX are the cats a$$

The SX Model will (tend to) have more rattles than an EX due to the nature of the suspension. But you may prefer better handling over less noise. Even an SX, however, will not handle as well as a Ford Fiesta. The Fiesta has the awesome suspension without any rattles

You are smart by asking these questions before buying the car!

Also DO NOT BUY THE ISG OPTION. It is quirky and needs "driver participation" to get any benefit from it. I "live" with it, but I would not recommend it to a friend.
Thanks for the feedback, ELI. Sorry for the confusion, but my original post was from a few months back, and we actually already bought the car a few days ago.

We got a loaded EX, and are very happy with it. If it were my car, I'd probably go for the SX, but I think the 15" wheels and softer suspension is actually better for my girlfriend. :)

ISG... Well, we have it, because this car came with every available option except for the "sport graphic." But yeah, ISG... Ugh. After driving it around the night we got it, the ISG was driving me crazy. Did not like the "lurch" as the car started with your foot off the brake. I suppose you'd get used to it... But I just turned it off. Here's something interesting, though, my GF reported that the car still shut off at a stop twice while driving to/from work, even though I hat turned ISG off. It doesn't default back to "on" each time you start the car, does it?

·
Registered
2013 Soul+ Shadow, 1970 Opel GT 1.9 CIH 4M
142 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, ELI. Sorry for the confusion, but my original post was from a few months back, and we actually already bought the car a few days ago.

We got a loaded EX, and are very happy with it. If it were my car, I'd probably go for the SX, but I think the 15" wheels and softer suspension is actually better for my girlfriend. :)

ISG... Well, we have it, because this car came with every available option except for the "sport graphic." But yeah, ISG... Ugh. After driving it around the night we got it, the ISG was driving me crazy. Did not like the "lurch" as the car started with your foot off the brake. I suppose you'd get used to it... But I just turned it off. Here's something interesting, though, my GF reported that the car still shut off at a stop twice while driving to/from work, even though I hat turned ISG off. It doesn't default back to "on" each time you start the car, does it?
OK

Yup - I didn't pay attention to the dates. It ends up that your GF bought the same exact car I did, except that I do have the side graphics. Unfortunately ISG will reset itself to "active" everytime you restart the car. The biggest flaw with ISG is Stop Signs. It just doesn't make sense to shut down the engine at a Stop Sign (with no timer). If you go to the KGIS site you can learn a lot about ISG. I like to "interact" with my car so I don't mind using sport mode shifting to fool ISG into doing what I want it to. Most people would think its a pain in the A$$!

I hope your GF likes her car. I LOVE mine :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts