Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Kia Sorento
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just recently replaced my alternator and at one point to get to the tension pulley i removed the upper radiator hose.
Got the new alternator installed. Voltage looks good and car runs seemingly fine. However, on the opposite side of the engine (the alternator and radiator hose are on right side, this is on the left or passenger side) Some smoke starts to come from seemingly no where. It is not thick or black. And it doesn't have a sweet coolant smell like i'm used to on my ford which has had some unrelated cooling/heating issues. Has almost a plastic-y smell. I removed the engine cover to try to find its origin but can't. Thought about letting it just run for a while and seeing what happens but I'm not certain that's the right call.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
2014 Kia Sorento SXL
30 Posts
Check the new belt that the ridges are all lined up in the correct groves, it sounds like the belt is the problem.

·
Registered
2008 Kia Sorento
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check the new belt that the ridges are all lined up in the correct groves, it sounds like the belt is the problem.
I can confirm not the belts. the smoke comes from the back of the engine almost to the firewall. I looked with different flash lights to see if i could find source. it almost looks like its coming off the exhaust. perhaps something bled onto it and is burning. i am cutting the engine off and on with time in between. if it is something that dripped it should burn off soon.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
1,270 Posts
Very odd? Are you overheating? Possible air pocket in cooling system? Did you bleed cooling system down after rehooking hose?

·
Registered
2008 Kia Sorento
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did not bleed the system. I did some more testing today. It seems like something is burning off.
In a 10 min running test, the smoke starts at about 35 seconds and lasts until about the 2:45 mark. Very light smoke some times you'll miss it. Then for the duration of the 10 mins it never returns.
Waited about 5 hours and test again, similar timeline but 'squished' slightly closer to the 0 mark. Can't see why it would be overheating that quickly after a cold start. It doesn't seem harmful at all, doesn't worsen. Doesnt spit or hiss or glow or combust.
My theory right now is that something is leaking and pooling slowly and being burned off. Im no car expert what do you guys think of that?

·
Registered
I now drive a 2020 Ram Bighorn. Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,504 Posts
If it is over the exhaust manifold it could be the valve cover. They have a tendency to drip very slowly. Oh can pull the inner fender cover and look at the manifold. I would be willing to say I am wrong if you don't see a black burned spot there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts