Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so what did you all do when upgrading your muffler? Right now my options are to get a new performance muffler but have it welded. I am looking for an aftermarket muffler that does not need any welding, but rather just bolt on like the stock. Got any ideas or stores?

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,124 Posts
aftermarket mufflers need to be welded on. there is no bolt on. besides welding is the best way to avoid small leaks..

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok thanks, for a minute there I thought I was jippin' myself but that clears things up. Could you show me pictures of the weld points and how it was installed on your car? I just want to see where to cut the pipe (so I can prep the muffler for the weld shop since I don;t have a welder, my friend does but hes not a quality type guy and I would rather have my work certified atleast.)

·
Premium Member
6,124 Posts
it will be after the last bend that will be cut..

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
exactly right after the stock turbo muffler? Thats where I am thinking its gonna need to be cut. By the way, how much did a new muffler help? I saw how they setup turbo mufflers (the same muffler in almost all stock cars) and there are alot of baffles and indirect paths, so I am thinking thats gotta hurt performance, I am guessing I will see around 5 to 7 HP.

·
Premium Member
6,124 Posts
you wont see that much hp with just a muffler.. with just a muffler id expect only 1-3 at most... after all what is killing hp the most of the exhaust system? not muffler... its the tiny piping they use along with the resonator and 2 cats....... I got the header which eliminated 1 cat, got a high flow cat for the other one (under car) removed the resonator all together and got the piping 2 1/4". stock piping is like 1 1/2" or less... THats whats killing HP.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
will the above exaust mods mentioned pass smog inspection? I don't want to have to undo my air intake and have to revert back to stock exaust jsut cause people don't like mods, I assume they wont increase emissions (unless the engine is in bad condition). If they have a problem, I will just move to a more lenient place (I live in california).

·
Premium Member
6,124 Posts
you cant pass smog in cali with the header.. It eliminates the 1st cat which in turn you get a check engine light...+ my car is super super loud.... like almost ear peircing loud....
You can get rid of the check engine light if you get the ecu reprogrammed through kfxperformance or if you place a resonator after the cat under car and put the 2nd o2 sensor in the resonator....

Although if you dont get header and do everything else i listed you will pass..
But the gains from the header and my exhuast is probably around 17-22whp.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts