Kia Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Soul Turbo 2022
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,
I LOVE my new car... but I have a question about her. Off the lot, she drove nice and smooth - but about a week after I got her home (and after a new tank of gas), I noticed that she seems a bit "jerkier" in low gears. Despite being an automatic, I can feel her shifting and apprehending, which is super evident in those first 2 gears. In sport mode it is less evident, but she still feels pretty apprehensive and pulse-y initially. I can gun it and she shoots off fine, but at respectable start-up speeds she is not so smooth. The one thing I am wondering is if she does not like the gas I chose for her first fill up with me? It may or may not be TT gas (Kroger), but it is what I used with my previous car who performed smoothly on it. I will be trying a top tier gas station upon next fill up. Also, she is pretty loud when I first start her up...which quiets down after shortly after, and I can hear something sort of lightly clicking or spinning in her engine, which might be totally normal and I had not noticed before? I always let her warm up first and she is otherwise wonderful. She has under 500 miles on her, all put on by me. I also HATE the auto windshield wipers... they should have just left intermittent. I cannot tell any difference between the "speeds" while the wipers are on auto. (Small beef).
Are these things "normal" are other New Turbo Soul Owners experiencing the same? Thanks so much!

·
Registered
2020 Soul LX, IVT
122 Posts
So, you have the Turbo! That's a bit of a horse of a different color. You should use ONLY Top Tier gas. And a question....
does your car have the 1.6L engine, with GDI? With that engine you either need to run that engine up to the REV-Limiter at least several times a week, to blow the carbon deposits off of the Fuel Injectors, OR, add a bottle of Techron Fuel Injector Cleaner every thousand miles or so. That's just a suggestion, nothing carved in granite. However, KIA DOES suggest the regular use of Techron, in their engines.
I had a 1.6L Soul, with GDI, and I used a lot of Techron in that little car, and she always ran GOOD!
GDI was such a boondoggle for KIA, that they've done away with it in the 2.0L engines, (Gen-3).

I know I'll get binged for this but....put in a bottle of Techron (black label) fuel system cleaner in your gas tank, and then "Drive it like you stole it!" I'm confident you'll see a difference in the way it runs.
A turbo engine should NEVER be babied! It was built for High Performance, not as a grocery getter! lol

Please let us know how you're doing,

·
Registered
Kia Soul Turbo 2022
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, you have the Turbo! That's a bit of a horse of a different color. You should use ONLY Top Tier gas. And a question....
does your car have the 1.6L engine, with GDI? With that engine you either need to run that engine up to the REV-Limiter at least several times a week, to blow the carbon deposits off of the Fuel Injectors, OR, add a bottle of Techron Fuel Injector Cleaner every thousand miles or so. That's just a suggestion, nothing carved in granite. However, KIA DOES suggest the regular use of Techron, in their engines.
I had a 1.6L Soul, with GDI, and I used a lot of Techron in that little car, and she always ran GOOD!
GDI was such a boondoggle for KIA, that they've done away with it in the 2.0L engines, (Gen-3).

I know I'll get binged for this but....put in a bottle of Techron (black label) fuel system cleaner in your gas tank, and then "Drive it like you stole it!" I'm confident you'll see a difference in the way it runs.
A turbo engine should NEVER be babied! It was built for High Performance, not as a grocery getter! lol

Please let us know how you're doing,
Thanks so much, yeah she is a 1.6. That info is super helpful!! I have been babying her, because some folks told me not to push her for the first 1k miles... since parts would be "settling in"? Is that not a thing anymore?
I will push her harder! (Not even bummed about doing that). What if I just use Chevron? Is that not enough techron on the regular?? If no, I can totally add it.

·
Registered
2020 Soul LX, IVT
122 Posts
I don't expect anyone to do what I do, but, just for fun, let me tell you about it anyway. OK?

I've bought three KIA Souls now, and every one has hit the 100 mph mark somewhere in the first three days.
I never let my engine "Settle in". I want it to "BREAK IN". The engine (all engines) have to be LOADED, to force the oil rings out against the cylinder walls, to get them to SEAT. The valves also need to SEAT. Likewise, other parts in the engine need to SEAT in. Driving slow and easy, just can't do that.
In fact, that engine may use oil, and just never run for S**T.

When a new engine is built, it's run up to the red line time after time, on an Engine Dyno, to help the engine parts SEAT IN, using a special Break In oil. Then that special oil is replaced with regular oil, when the engine is put in the car and it's shipped to the US.
In the first 1000 miles or more, parts continue to Wear In, and the metal shavings wind up in the oil.
That's why so many old Gear Heads, like me, like to get the first oil change somewhere between 1k and 3k miles.
Fresh, clean, oil is GRRRRRRREATTT!

In ways, I can sympathize with those who have had some kind of bad experience with a Dealer's Oil Change.
Stuff happens.
But I have a Maintenance Contract on my car, that gets me Oil changes, tire rotations, and all sorts of little inspections, for three years. And I've got an exceptionally good Service Dept, that really cares, that I get Good Service.
And, I got my 2.5 yr old USED Soul with the same warranty as a NEW Soul.

Cheers Mates!

·
Registered
Kia Soul Turbo 2022
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DCT's are jerky. Its the nature of the beast. And, the are horrible in beach traffic or NYC bridge toll traffic. Best for long highway commutes with little traffic.

You will get used to it. If you don't, then remember not to buy a vehicle with a DCT.

And yes, stick with toptier fuel. Since its a turbo, if in budget, stick with premium fuel too.
That is a relief actually... so long as it isn't just my new car having issues. I luckily don't deal with traffic much... so I think we will be good. I was down to a half tank & topped her off with Chevron last night. I am sure it is just in my head, but she felt slightly smoother this AM. I really appreciate this knowledge! Thanks again!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Kroger gas is not rated well.
Use top-tier, Premium fuel and you will feel the difference. Unfortunately, so will your wallet.

·
Registered
Kia Soul Turbo 2022
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kroger gas is not rated well.
Use top-tier, Premium fuel and you will feel the difference. Unfortunately, so will your wallet.
I went ahead and filled up w/ Chevron when I hit half tank and I swear I noticed it the next day. Thanks for the insight. I do have a station near my work that is 0% ethanol, would that be worth trying?

·
Registered
2020 Soul LX, IVT
122 Posts
Actually, here in FL, it's against the law to fill up with anything BUT E-10. There are exceptions, of course, but the KIA Soul is not on that exception list.
And, at least my Soul loves it.
Right now, I'm trying real hard to only fill up with Shell regular. Using my Shell Master Card, I'm getting either ten cents or twenty cents off every gallon I buy. Saving money at the pump is just COOL.

I took a little road trip today, and the highest MPG reported by my car, was 50.5 Mpg. It does take a little effort though.

·
Registered
379 Posts
My last four fill-ups have been with Shell regular and our 2.0MPI seems to like this 87 octane the best.
For whatever odd reason, our 2.0MPI likes Citgo 93 Premium octane the best. But lately fuel prices have soared and smart shoppers like me, are trying to find ways to save their hard-earned money.

Reactions: wild willy

·
Registered
2020 Soul GT 2.0 MPI
85 Posts
My last four fill-ups have been with Shell regular and our 2.0MPI seems to like this 87 octane the best.
For whatever odd reason, our 2.0MPI likes Citgo 93 Premium octane the best. But lately fuel prices have soared and smart shoppers like me, are trying to find ways to save their hard-earned money.
You got to be smart....The dummies put us in that situation.

·
Registered
2021 Soul GT-Line
13 Posts
I don't expect anyone to do what I do, but, just for fun, let me tell you about it anyway. OK?

I've bought three KIA Souls now, and every one has hit the 100 mph mark somewhere in the first three days.
I never let my engine "Settle in". I want it to "BREAK IN". The engine (all engines) have to be LOADED, to force the oil rings out against the cylinder walls, to get them to SEAT. The valves also need to SEAT. Likewise, other parts in the engine need to SEAT in. Driving slow and easy, just can't do that.
In fact, that engine may use oil, and just never run for S**T.

When a new engine is built, it's run up to the red line time after time, on an Engine Dyno, to help the engine parts SEAT IN, using a special Break In oil. Then that special oil is replaced with regular oil, when the engine is put in the car and it's shipped to the US.
In the first 1000 miles or more, parts continue to Wear In, and the metal shavings wind up in the oil.
That's why so many old Gear Heads, like me, like to get the first oil change somewhere between 1k and 3k miles.
Fresh, clean, oil is GRRRRRRREATTT!

In ways, I can sympathize with those who have had some kind of bad experience with a Dealer's Oil Change.
Stuff happens.
But I have a Maintenance Contract on my car, that gets me Oil changes, tire rotations, and all sorts of little inspections, for three years. And I've got an exceptionally good Service Dept, that really cares, that I get Good Service.
And, I got my 2.5 yr old USED Soul with the same warranty as a NEW Soul.

Cheers Mates!
FLhamster is that you

·
Registered
2022 Kia Soul 1.6LTurbo
4 Posts
Your post is spot on, I have had my 1.6 L Turbo for just over a month now (600 Miles) and have noticed those exact same things. I have not tried good gas yet, maybe soon, cost too much right now. This is my first new car in over 15 years so all these features and functions are a bit overwhelming. I learn something new almost everyday. Also, one night driving home I gunned it on an onramp to see what she could do and the check engine light came on, yup. The Kia Access app told me the code and it was P226100. Some kind of engine diagnostic issue with the turbo waste gate valve. Took it to my local Kia dealer and the had it all day and could not find any issues with the waste gate or turbo or any issues at all, they reset it and took it for 3 test drives and could not get it to come back. They also said they reached out to a Kia technician. But have not got a response yet. Must be real busy. I have had it back now for over a week and it has not come back. Hope it never does. Only time will tell . . . . . . . . . . .

·
Registered
2020 Soul GT 2.0 MPI
85 Posts
I will say, if I had the turbo......I don't see any way around running premium. It really should make a difference. That is one reason, among many other, that I do not ever want a turbo'd engine. Unless is it a car I store and occasionally drive.

·
Registered
2020 Soul LX, IVT
122 Posts
Your post is spot on, I have had my 1.6 L Turbo for just over a month now (600 Miles) and have noticed those exact same things. I have not tried good gas yet, maybe soon, cost too much right now. This is my first new car in over 15 years so all these features and functions are a bit overwhelming. I learn something new almost everyday. Also, one night driving home I gunned it on an onramp to see what she could do and the check engine light came on, yup. The Kia Access app told me the code and it was P226100. Some kind of engine diagnostic issue with the turbo waste gate valve. Took it to my local Kia dealer and the had it all day and could not find any issues with the waste gate or turbo or any issues at all, they reset it and took it for 3 test drives and could not get it to come back. They also said they reached out to a Kia technician. But have not got a response yet. Must be real busy. I have had it back now for over a week and it has not come back. Hope it never does. Only time will tell . . . . . . . . . . .
One possibility: If you've not got on it hard enough to actually cause the waste gate to Open, maybe it was stuck! That usually only works when you speed shift from gear to gear, to relieve excessive pressure from the Turbo.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2018 Soul!
53 Posts
You need to put the highest octane you can at the pump. 91 is preferred for the Soul Turbo. This is from my 2018-2019 manual;
Your new Kia vehicle is designed to use only unleaded fuel having a pump octane number ((R+M)/2) of 87 (Research Octane Number 91) or higher.
(Do not use methanol blended fuels)

And this is in relation to ethonal/methanol blends;
Pursuant to EPA regulations, ethanol may be used in your vehicle. Do not use gasohol containing more than 15 percent ethanol, and do not use gasoline or gasohol containing any
methanol. Ethanol provides less energy than gasoline and it attracts water, and it is thus likely to reduce your fuel efficiency and could lower your MPG results. Methanol may
cause drivability problems and damage to the fuel system, engine control system and emission control system.

I have been told when you buy a new turbo, that it should never be taken to redline for the first 2500 miles. That was not specific to any make or model, just in relation to a new vehicle with turbo.
Good luck and great driving. One last thing, I love it when something that we all know is fast pulls up next to me and when the light goes green hami power leaves the line and I am looking in my rearview at the mustang or camaro or charger. They pull up at the next light and are like what is in that thing?? I say..."It's a Hami 1.6L" haha!!

·
Registered
2020 Soul LX, IVT
122 Posts
So how does the Soul handle those almost two mile high mountains, like Pikes Peak and Mt Evans?

I'm glad you mentioned 'Methanol'....it can be bad news! Thanks!

And, those stop light drag races can be a real blast.....eh? A little Saturday night fun! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2018 Soul!
53 Posts
So how does the Soul handle those almost two mile high mountains, like Pikes Peak and Mt Evans?

I'm glad you mentioned 'Methanol'....it can be bad news! Thanks!

And, those stop light drag races can be a real blast.....eh? A little Saturday night fun! :ROFLMAO:
It does great but does not like the snow. I permanently installed the factory tow hook after a bit of modification so that when, not if, I get stuck I can be pulled out easy. I am a bit older so more like Saturday afternoon fun. I am not out anymore after dark. haha!!
2018 Soul! Updated 7.30.21

That is a link to another thread in this forum with some pics of my lil guy.

·
Registered
2020 Soul LX, IVT
122 Posts
I found that the tires KIA puts on the Soul are OK for highway driving, but I drive a lot "Off Road" so I bought a set of 1" wider tires for the extra traction. That's all it took, and now I go wherever I want, even in foot deep FL Sugar Sand.
I doubt snow would be any different.

I do use my Towhooks quite a bit, pulling other cars out of sand pits. The little car was never short of horsepower, just traction. The heaviest car I ever had to rescue, was a Lincoln Navigator, with the frame sitting on the ground (sand).

Thanks for the response, and the pic's.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Soul 1.6LTurbo
4 Posts
Update: 200 miles later, check engine light back on. Same P226100 powertrain code. Took to original purchase dealer,. diagnostics there show a faulty solenoid that controls the waste gate valve. part is on order. I will update after repair.

Update #2: faulty solenoid that controls the turbo waste gate valve replaced (took 1 hour to complete), CEL light reset, lets see how long it lasts this time??

1 - 19 of 19 Posts