Kia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a brand new 2013 Soul base model in the Moss Green color and it is awesome. My only problem is how to get the sound system to read a flash drive thru the USB port. I have a 2gb flashdrive I formatted and moved songs to it but when I plug it in the system reads no media found. I have been online and saw you need to group them into folders so I tried that as well and nothing. I have formatted the drive 5 times now and used 5 different ways of saving the music files onto it and the sound system reads empyt everytime yet the songs are on the flashdrive because I can go plug it into any other USB port and it shows they are there. What am I missing

·
Registered
2016 Soul SX - Caribbean Blue
8,513 Posts
what format are the files in on the flash drive?

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,866 Posts
How did you format the flashdrive? There are different types of formats available..
The standard XP/Vista/7 format is called "NTFS"...Try formating the drive with FAT/FAT16/and FAT32 and then add a song or two... I'd bet FAT16 will solve your "no media found" problem... Most of these radios run a stripped down version of Linux and by default they usually can only read EXT/EXT3/EXT4 (linux formats) or FAT or FAT16 Windows formats.. Newer Windows by default formats all devices using NTFS...BUT...Can format FAT, FAT16, and FAT32 if you chose them.
Dave

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have tried formatting the flash drive with all 3 potions it gives me and I still get the error I mentioned and really don"t want to spend the money on a larger flashdrive if it will not work

·
Registered
8,513 Posts
see if you can borrow a flash drive from someone else and see if it works okay. Did you check what it says for your stereo unit in your owners manual? page 4/123. You can get 2gb flash drives for around $10.

I can't see grouping them into folders would change the actual reading of the files. Mp3 and WMA are the files it will read.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried again and I either get a reading error or no media found error depedning on which format I choose......FAT, FAT32, NTFS or something called exFAT...........WTF ! ! ! ! Do I have a defective USB port ??? I don't think so since the sytem lights up USB like it should and I get the error messages.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Soul EX Energy edition, 2.0 L, 6 sp Auto.
67 Posts
I use a USB flash drive on my 2012 Kia Soul 2u radio system.
I formatted using Windows XP.... the flash drive is a 2 gb drive and I have no problems accessing the music files I stored on it. The files are MP3s
I think I used FAT32 as the file format.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I figured out the problem and it was so right in my face I can't believe I did not even think of it..........It seems all the cd's I had transfered over to my I-Pod via I-Tunes were changed from their mp3 format to a mp4 format and when I copied and pasted them onto the flashdrive the sound sytem would not read them since they were not in mp3 format as needed.......I now have to rip hundreds of cd's all over again but it will be worth it when I am done

·
Registered
8,513 Posts
that's great, thanks for letting us know. Not sure if this works, but have you tried just simply changing the mp4 file extension to mp3 and see if it works, rather than ripping all the CD's again.
Can you not just play your iPod via the USB port (you would need the special cable for that) instead of using a flash drive? I don't own an iPod and use only a flash drive, so not sure if this works.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My I-Pod is only 8GB and was a hand me down from a family member so it only holds a charge for a day so that is why I am glad I figured out the problem. I could not see a way to change the imported songs to mp3 format so I am just gonna rip rip rip onto a 32GB flashdrive.

·
Registered
1 Posts
USB Drive size limitation

I have a 2013 Optima and have discovered that playing music off a usb drive seems to be limited to a 4 gig usb drive.I have tried multiple 8gig and larger usb drives and the radio either has issues seeing it or will start to play and then drop and reconnect.It's not a big deal as mp3's are about 5 meg each and you can get a ton of songs on a 4 gig drive.Just thought I would mention it so someone does not waste money on buying an 8 or 16 gig drive thinking they can put there entire music collection on it to play in there new car.I was that person as I have 15 gig of mp3's.

·
Registered
8,513 Posts
I have the UVO system and have a 16 gb flash drive and no problem playing mp3 tracks

However, initially it can take a while to load, but once done its fine

·
Registered
Cerato
692 Posts
I have tried formatting the flash drive with all 3 potions it gives me and I still get the error I mentioned and really don"t want to spend the money on a larger flashdrive if it will not work.
Thought you might be trying black magic to make it work.:) I guess that you meant options.

·
Registered
2013 Soul+ 2.0L - UVO - Auto - Alien w/ custom black leather
11 Posts
I figured out the problem and it was so right in my face I can't believe I did not even think of it..........It seems all the cd's I had transfered over to my I-Pod via I-Tunes were changed from their mp3 format to a mp4 format and when I copied and pasted them onto the flashdrive the sound sytem would not read them since they were not in mp3 format as needed.......I now have to rip hundreds of cd's all over again but it will be worth it when I am done
But mp4 format is video. How did you change audio to video? I was going to say check the audio file bit rates. If they're too high, it prob won't work.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts