Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Memorial Super Moderator
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you will see a new sub-forum has been added to cover the upcoming MY 2011 Sportage, please use that subforum for any new threads you may want to start about the 2011 Sportage. Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
In conjunction with the release of the all new 2011 Kia Sportage, Kia Motors has joined with Live Nation in a promotion that will get folks into local Southern California events such as concerts etc just for test driving the new Sportage! Customers will receive a scratch card after taking a test drive or purchase then log onto www.livenation.com/socalkia to input their unique code (limited to one code per customer for the duration of the promotion).

·
Memorial Super Moderator
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like KIA Motors America are doinng a good job advertising the new models. :) Havn't head much here in Aussie land as yet.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Big Problem Right Off The Bat.....!

You can't package the leather interior with a solid roof and luggage rails, you must opt for the panoramic roof.....cool idea but not practical to force the leather with the glass roof.:mad:

I will easily jump to the Hyundai Tuscon which will allow me a leather interior together with a solid roof and rails.....:D

Bad marketing slip-up here...!:eek:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey everyone! The 2011 Kia Sportage has been recognized as a “2010 Top Safety Pick” by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety in the small SUV category. More information can be found in the press release here: Kia Media.

I'm working with Kia, so let me know if you have questions!

·
Registered
1 Posts
2011 Sportage Test Drives

I'm interested in opinions from forum member test drives. Personally, I'm now officially waiting for the SX with the 2.0T after a test drive of a loaded EX a week ago. The standard 2.4L is pretty under powered and it's obvious the chassis can handle a lot more hp. The 2.4L GDI (Sonata engine) at the 198-200 hp rating would have actually been the best engine choice (and I believe with minor additional cost - as the new Sportage isn't exactly cheap).

I forgot to grab my tire gauge for a check of the tire pressures (most dealers are notorious for leaving the tires overinflated from the carrier). The ride was semi-harsh but may have been the psi. Body roll was nil, however and handling crisp, although the steering ratio is a little too relaxed IMO.

I get free reign on testers/loaners from my Hyundai/Kia dealer, so all the test are "sans Sales rep" and with simple "just don't total it" instructions. This allows real testing on highway off ramps, etc. My son and I both liked the interior materials, fit 'n' finish, etc...All top notch and miles ahead of Toyota and Honda products. The view out is a little constrained by the thick A-pillars and the slope of the the roof in the rear but the interior space is good and usable.

Not sure - other than styling - that it's a real great value at over $30K list for this loaded up sample. Ironically, we are comparing it one-on-one with a VW Tiguan and although you give up a lot of features in a 'similar' MSRP VW, it not as different as you'd think. Plus in the VW, you get one of the world's great engines, the 2.0T used in everything from the VW GTI to the Audi A4.

A full test of the SX with the 2.0T will determine the final review, however. Overall, the Sportage is definitely a solid ride with a lot of style in what is otherwise a boring segment.

·
Memorial Super Moderator
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I have heard the VW Audi engine is very good new not so good after some milage and years, often the case, Honda tend to be the same. Very expensive maintenance on VW Audi and to a certain extent Hondas.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Are you saying that even if you do your proper maintenence on the 2.0T (oil changes, etc) it will still have problems over time :( ? How many miles or years before it starts to give you problems? Is the Hyundai/Kia 2.0T currently in any other model :confused:? I am waiting to jump on the Sportage when the 2.0T becomes available. I have never purchased a car with a turbo because I am afraid they will be a problem and very costly to repair. Should I worry about this with Hyundai/Kia turbo?? are they reliable?? And is this the twin turbo design with the turbo built right into the exhaust manifold? I saw this twin turbo motor as a cut-away motor on display at the NY auto show. Very impressive...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've got a problem, my Kia Sportage highway mileage is down to 18 MPG (~13 L/100Km) [-that is highway only!, FWD, 4 cylinder engine, ~70 miles per hour, it was in the wintertime (~25F, -4C) ~250 mile trip, but that is well below the 31 MPG I am supposed to get]. Is that a computer problem, fuel injector or what? anyone know?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Considering buying a 2011 Sportage LX... Those of you who have one, do you regret buying it? If not, what would you have bought instead?

I've read about some steering issues, so I'm a little nervous...

I'm also considering a 2011 Hyundai Tucson and a used 2010 Nissan Rogue...

Thoughts???

·
Registered
18 Posts
Considering buying a 2011 Sportage LX... Those of you who have one, do you regret buying it? If not, what would you have bought instead?

I've read about some steering issues, so I'm a little nervous...

I'm also considering a 2011 Hyundai Tucson and a used 2010 Nissan Rogue...

Thoughts???
I own a 2011 LX my steering is just fine. I would like a little softer ride other than that it a nice vehicle.

·
Registered
12 Posts
2011 AWD LX bought in Apr and the steering is horrible. Kia needs a recall to fix this issue. The car will not maintain a straight line without constant corrections. The corrections require an uncomfortable amount of effort. Over time is gets tiring.
I’m not the only one complaining about this issue. It is unacceptable and I’m going to push my dealer and kia to fix this issue. Other than that it's a great car.

·
Registered
18 Posts
2011 AWD LX bought in Apr and the steering is horrible. Kia needs a recall to fix this issue. The car will not maintain a straight line without constant corrections. The corrections require an uncomfortable amount of effort. Over time is gets tiring.
I’m not the only one complaining about this issue. It is unacceptable and I’m going to push my dealer and kia to fix this issue. Other than that it's a great car.
I don't know if this would help but it can't hurt. If your issue exist on a wide scale you should report this to the NTSB you can go on line and file a complaint, if enough people do that they will investigate the cause and a recall will be issued.

·
Registered
10 Posts
2011 Sportage SX FWD with over 2000 miles now. This is my first review of my new car and I can be very detailed with what I think. I also drove an AWD for over 1000 miles but turned it in (due to long story)...The AWD was a little swimmy on the highway. It did not track as true as I like and required at least one hand on the wheel at all times. I am very pleased with my FWD. The turbo is very strong, but recommend leaving the the "ECO" drive off if you don't care too much about your MPG. The ECO setting seems to delay the turbo increasing the already present turbo lag. The SX really doesn't like city/traffic. On the highway, you should be able to easily get 27-29 MPG at 65-70 mph, but add traffic to that or any stop and go, and the gas drains like there is a hole in the tank.

I have the premium package with Nav. The leather is nice and the air cooled driver's seat is a very neat feature. Seats could use a little more bolster in hard cornering. The Navigation is nice, but not a Garmin or TomTom...it misses a few features that I was used to having with my Garmin. Sirius traffic is nice and I will most likely keep that after my free subscription is up.

The car does have a few blind spots that I am getting used to, but the options are all nice...I paid $29,750 for mine and that was with about $1000 in neg equity on my trade. I'm hoping that the "tuners" start developing some mods quick...I think there is probably a ton that you could do with this car. I want to put a free flow exhaust and cold air intake on ASAP as well as an upper brace and hopefully lower track bar. There is a lot of torque steer, but that's to be expected from a 256hp FWD vehicle. It has a little body roll and just a tad bit of oversteer. Off the top of my head, this is all that I can think of saying, but can answer any specific questions you may have....

·
Registered
9 Posts
As you will see a new sub-forum has been added to cover the upcoming MY 2011 Sportage, please use that subforum for any new threads you may want to start about the 2011 Sportage. Thanks.
Hi Pulsar 86, from reading various posts you seem to have your finger on the pulse with these Kia's. We put a deposit on 2.4 ltr mineral silver platinum sportage at the end of June and were advised a delivery date of approx mid October. Although I am like a kid on Christmas eve regarding this car, the anticipation is killing me, my question is if these cars are so pupular where rare they all. I live on the Central Coast of NSW and work in Sydney, I have seen a few Sorrento's but only one or possibly two what look like base model sportages around the coast and in Sydney. The law of averages must state that if these are that popular then there should be more out there so is anyone getting their vehicles? Any advice from you or other forum members to quell an anxiety that I have never had with another vehicle purchase would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
9,182 Posts
Hi Pulsar 86, from reading various posts you seem to have your finger on the pulse with these Kia's. We put a deposit on 2.4 ltr mineral silver platinum sportage at the end of June and were advised a delivery date of approx mid October. Although I am like a kid on Christmas eve regarding this car, the anticipation is killing me, my question is if these cars are so pupular where rare they all. I live on the Central Coast of NSW and work in Sydney, I have seen a few Sorrento's but only one or possibly two what look like base model sportages around the coast and in Sydney. The law of averages must state that if these are that popular then there should be more out there so is anyone getting their vehicles? Any advice from you or other forum members to quell an anxiety that I have never had with another vehicle purchase would be appreciated.
Pulsar86 sure did have his finger on the pulse, but sadly he has passed on and is sorely missed.

I'm sure that others will be around to respond to your post.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
18 Participants
Jenkster
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing