Kia Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I just joined here becaus ei purchased my 09 Optima 4 -cyl last wednesday. I drive about 90% highway, at about 65-70MPH and I'm getting about 22 MPG, I bought the car hoping to get a little better. ANy ideas?

The car also vibrates pretty bad at 40-50Mph and 65-75Mph, seems like front end vibration and it just shakes the wheel really bad.

Also, the car pulls to the right. Probably an alignment and that could sort out my vibration issue too.

I looked and read that some people had sticking brake pads, I checked mine and mine seem fine. I'm not really sure what to look for at that point.

Its still under warranty at 52K miles and I am the original owner (off-lease) so I am still entitled to the warranty.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 12 Sedona LX
1,412 Posts
All three of your concerns(poor mpgs, shaking, pulling) could all be caused by the same thing: tires. Inspect the overall tire condition: correct size and type, wear pattern, and correct pressure. Low pressure on one side will cause a pull, and low pressure overall will cause low mpgs and possibly vibration. Also a bad tire on one side will cause a pull. Maybe get the tires rotated and balanced.

None of these items are covered by warranty. Alignment and tire balance are covered 12mos/12k. Brakes are 12mos/12k except in the case of a faulty component(caliper, etc)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
All three of your concerns(poor mpgs, shaking, pulling) could all be caused by the same thing: tires. Inspect the overall tire condition: correct size and type, wear pattern, and correct pressure. Low pressure on one side will cause a pull, and low pressure overall will cause low mpgs and possibly vibration. Also a bad tire on one side will cause a pull. Maybe get the tires rotated and balanced.

None of these items are covered by warranty. Alignment and tire balance are covered 12mos/12k. Brakes are 12mos/12k except in the case of a faulty component(caliper, etc)
The tires were replaced 3000 miles ago by the dealership since it was a lease/loaner vehicle as well as the brakes, I would think that should still be covered under their warranty since they were just done at the dealership.

But the tires seems to be in great shape, I don't see anything unusual. All the tires are at 32psi.

Any other ideas? :(

What kind of mpg is average for this car? Is it unreasonable to assume I should be getting high 20s when driving mostly highway?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.