Kia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

Just purchase an 05 EX on Friday Nov 26, excellent vehicle, BUT…

A lot of the freeways here in Southern California are sectionalized concrete sections. When traveling on the freeways the wash-boarding effect is so bad that I am jetting nauseous from the bouncing.

I have lowered the tire pressure from the factory 36 lbs to the vehicle recommended 30 lbs. I went to the dealer today and took a service tech for a drive and he is trying to tell me this is normal. Now I have been driving in Southern California with many a vehicle and have never experienced a ride like this.

And others of you have any experience like this. Your input is greatly welcome.

Thank you
CamKia

·
Registered
32 Posts
There's nothing much you can do with a bad ride. You can try aftermarket shocks and springs, but chances are, it'd just make your ride bumpy. Heard the Tuareg is even worse.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Do you have a 2x4 or a 4x4? We had a 04 2x4 here the other day with a small lift kit and its the smoothest riding sorento I ever rode in. I never found out what kind of springs it had in it though. It looked extremely nice with the small lift and one tire size larger too.
Which may the reason that it rode so nice too. It could have been the larger tires.

·
Registered
2 Posts
yes, mine was behaving the same. the road i am using to work was not smooth and quite wavy and every morning i will have to rock and roll in the car to wake me up before i reach office !! however, on bitumin or tar road, it rides very smooth.

i guess this is a rugged 4wd SUV with rigid axle at the rear, unlike the honda crv or Toyota Rav4 or Nissan Xtrail where they have an independent suspension which tends to have smoother rides.

changing spring to softer or harder will not help. maybe larger tyre or softer tyre like Michelin or yokohama will help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm in the Bay Area, CA and my 4x4 '04 has the same issue - the ride is *very* comfortable usually (like the best ride I've ever had!) but on the patched up crappy concrete freeways it really bounces - you can feel every bump!

[Of course, I only use 2WD on freeways]

·
Registered
6 Posts
Originally posted by CamKia@Dec 2 2004, 02:00 PM
Hello all.

Just purchase an 05 EX on Friday Nov 26, excellent vehicle, BUT…

A lot of the freeways here in Southern California are sectionalized concrete sections. When traveling on the freeways the wash-boarding effect is so bad that I am jetting nauseous from the bouncing.

I have lowered the tire pressure from the factory 36 lbs to the vehicle recommended 30 lbs. I went to the dealer today and took a service tech for a drive and he is trying to tell me this is normal. Now I have been driving in Southern California with many a vehicle and have never experienced a ride like this.

And others of you have any experience like this. Your input is greatly welcome.

Thank you
CamKia

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi! The Sorento is a bit rough on patchy roads. But remember that it's a body on frame design intended to be super tough and used offroad as well. It's not like the Honda CRV or the Ford Escape, for example, which are built on unibody car frames. It's the price we pay for owning a REAL 4by4!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have lowered the tire pressure from the factory 36 lbs to the vehicle recommended 30 lbs.
Just wondering -- I checked the driver-side sticker that gives tire pressure and it says 35 psi, so I put it to that, down from the factory/showroom 39 psi. Where did you get the vehicle-recommended 30? I'm considering lowering my tire pressure further to see how it will affect the ride, but I don't want to go down too low. What's a good range?

Thanks!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Got the same issue here. Sometimes when I hit a small bump it feels as if my bumper had fallen off. But I'm getting used to it now.

·
Registered
2005 Sorento ex v6 automatic
537 Posts
Freeway Oscillation Causing Nausia, Oscillation at Freeway Speeds

yep, i got it real bad when i went camping the other week towing my camper, with camper or not it would have probibly have done it, i was glad to get off the concrete section of the hi-way back to blacktop....you could see the ripples in the concrete road surface that were causing the condition
we drive this section of hi-way all the time with a chevy/astro (towing or not) and have never had this problem, oh well !

·
Registered
56 Posts
Cool, one more question -- does the country's climate matter? Like can I ride the tires softer in warmer weather? It never really gets that cold in the Philippines and the summers can be extremely hot, like in the high 30s C.

·
Registered
car
4,209 Posts
I wouldnt run them too soft for two reasons. 1 the softer you run them the worse you gas milage will be and 2 you dont want a blow out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts