Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2003 kia Sorento LX 2WD 3.5L
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got this small suv and i love it so far

1. power steering go hard like it not there on 1200rpm or less or dead stop but as soon as i rev up motor it turn with no problems

does anyone know any idea on what i can do to fix this?

2. the trans is super laggy in all gears
would a drain and refill and trans filler fix this?

3. could i had factory key-less entry?

·
Registered
2005 Kia Sorento EX
402 Posts
i just got this small suv and i love it so far

1. power steering go hard like it not there on 1200rpm or less or dead stop but as soon as i rev up motor it turn with no problems

does anyone know any idea on what i can do to fix this?

2. the trans is super laggy in all gears
would a drain and refill and trans filler fix this?

3. could i had factory key-less entry?
Power Steering, check the oil level, Check there's no leakage from the bottom of the PS oils reservoir or steering rods, then make sure the belt is not loose. If all these are OK, you could be looking at a weak PS pump that might need replacing.

Transmission, if the trans is changing all the gear very quick and feels sluggish, it's probably in limp mode due to a previous problem where the engine light coming on. To reset it back to normal mode, just remove the P/TRN Fuse for a minute.

Remote Key-Less-Entry - depends on the existence of module in the car. Usually, the dealership will be able to tell you based on your chassis number. If the module is there, buy one from ebay and follow these instructions.

http://www.kia-forums.com/2003-2010-sorento-forum/65219-keyless-entry.html

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Power Steering, check the oil level, Check there's no leakage from the bottom of the PS oils reservoir or steering rods, then make sure the belt is not loose. If all these are OK, you could be looking at a weak PS pump that might need replacing.

Transmission, if the trans is changing all the gear very quick and feels sluggish, it's probably in limp mode due to a previous problem where the engine light coming on. To reset it back to normal mode, just remove the P/TRN Fuse for a minute.

Remote Key-Less-Entry - depends on the existence of module in the car. Usually, the dealership will be able to tell you based on your chassis number. If the module is there, buy one from ebay and follow these instructions.

http://www.kia-forums.com/2003-2010-sorento-forum/65219-keyless-entry.html

1 ps pump no leaks and not low .. i guess weak pump (u think getting it draining the ps pump old fluid and putting in new atf or oem stuff in?

on my 240sx i use ATF and my ps work bettern than it did stock for drifting.... :)

2 fuse worked on trans not so sluggish anymore but doing a drain and full (new fluid and new trans filter) help trans will be towing my 240 soon to event

3 thanks i going to dealer next week :)

i never thought i would like a kia .....but this little suv is better than other small suv of it years and price ....

another question
foglamps i going to be adding them and does this suv come with wires preinstalled or do i need to wire to switch for the oem fogs? or do they sell a oem kit on ebay or something

trying to style and do all kinda of stuff to this suv i have no clue how long it sat for at auto auction...and be for that (it was a repo)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well now my car is mis firing more at idle Sad and check engine and misfire on cyl5

i changed spark plugs but it was still misfiring be for plugs (note the plug that was in car was oem from 03 super worn down champions

where should i look for problems .... i cant stand the bad misfire at idle
and it now it start sucking more fuel Sad 30buck around town befor it only took 20maybe Sad i stopped driving it now Sad

i was working out of my kia and can hear rough idle via tailpipe Sad

·
Registered
36 Posts
Congratulations on your '03 Sorento. I have an '03 with 119K miles. Original owner. A great SUV. No problems except routine stuff. This little guy has allot of features you won't find in most SUV's today. Like body on frame like a truck. Most SUV's are made on a uni-body mini-van platform (new Sorento) and not as rugged off road. You'll see as time goes on you won't be able to find an SUV from most manufactures built like this anymore. Most of them will be built like cars and not off-road vehicles. Mine has Borg Warner Torque-on-Demand. The Sorento senses road conditions and automatically switches between 4 wheel high and 2 wheel high. You can also lock it into 4 wheel low to get out of a ditch or something. Mine has every available option you'd ever want.. leather, cruse, power everything, heated mirrors, sun roof, roof rack, tow hitch, climate control. and on, and on, and on... Great SUV. If your VIN # starts with K it was built in Korea.

My cost of ownership now is practically nothing. I think I've spent about $5,000 in routine repairs since '05 when I paid it off. Most expensive was timing belt, water pump and all that. So that's like $60 month to own this vehicle ($5k / 7 years / 12 months). It's still in immaculate condition. Can't get a new car loan for that price per month with those features.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I did some research on the '03 Sorento that you might find interesting. I've also Included the features that I have.

2003 Sorento

Standard comfort and convenience features include:
Air conditioning, power windows/door locks/heated mirrors, cruise control, full overhead console with sunglass storage, map lights and garage door opener / sunglass pocket, four 12-volt power outlets, eight-way adjustable driver's seat and 60/40 split flip-and-fold rear seats. The standard remote keyless entry system operates the doors, rear flip-open glass and panic alarm.

Standard safety features include:
Dual front airbags and full-length side-curtain airbags, front pretensioners, front force-limiters and three-point seat-belts and headrests to accommodate all occupants.

The chassis of the vehicle is based on a ladder frame design which is more often used in building trucks. A true off road vehicle with body-on-frame construction with nine cross members. This lends a highly superior rigidity to the Sorento that other vehicles in its class lack, even at the same price point.

Double wishbone front suspension and a five-link solid rear axle.

In addition to the above standard features my Sorento has the EX with Luxury Package:

Gunmetal grayish-blue metal flake paint with color coordinated body cladding.

Chrome exterior trim

Factory tinted glass windows

Alloy wheels

3.5L 24-valve DOHC V6 producing 192 Horsepower at 5500 rpm, producing 217 ft·lbf of torque @ 3,000 rpm.

4 speed automatic transmission with overdrive switch.

Leather seats and leather wrapped steering wheel with faux wood accents.

Power open / tilt sunroof

Driver and passenger bottom door jam chrome 'Sorento' nameplate.

Roof rack

HomeLink® programmable remote system

Automatic dimming rear view mirror.

Delphi® 280-watt six-disc in-dash CD player with eight-speakers

Steering-wheel mounted audio and cruise controls.

Automatic climate control

Automatic headlights

Borg Warner, full-time automatic Torque-On-Demand™ four-wheel-drive system. The Torque-On-Demand™ system's distinguishing feature is its ability to deliver optimal torque automatically using electronic sensors and micro-computer controls, which detects wheel slippage 200 times per second, seamlessly transferring power between the rear and front wheels and reduces the front-wheel power when it is no longer needed without requiring driver input. This translates into significant handling benefits to the driver as compared to conventional full-time and part-time systems and provides all-weather, all-terrain capability.

4 Wheel drive low switch made for extreme off-road conditions.

Eaton limited-slip differential (Posi-Traction}. The main advantage of a limited-slip differential is shown by considering the case of a standard (or "open") differential in off-roading situations where one wheel has no contact with the ground. In such a case, with a standard differential, the non-contacting wheel will receive 100% of the power while the contacting wheel will remain stationary. With the Eaton limited-slip differential, The torque transmitted will be equal at both wheels, therefore will not exceed the threshold of torque needed to move the wheel with grip. It quietly transfers up to 50 percent of torque between the rear wheels. In this situation, a limited-slip differential prevents 100% of the power from being allocated to one wheel, and thereby keeping both wheels in powered rotation.

4 wheel ABS antilock disk brakes

Tow hitch with self leveling rear end. Rated 3500 lbs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts