Kia Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Sorento 2015
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I found a 2015 Kia Sorento SX Limited with the 3.3L V6 I'm interested in buying. I've never owned a Kia so just wanted to get more info before I buy. Any info would be great!! I keep seeing a lot of engine problems but most seem to be with the 4 cylinder. I can't find much about the V6 though. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2017 AWD Sportage SX Turbo - Black / Beige
2,024 Posts
I'm on my 4th KIA and they are generally very reliable and economical cars to operate or I wouldn't have purchased 4 of 'em. Yes they have had some problems recently with a small percentage of the 2.0 and 2.4 litre 4 cyl engines but those problems don't appear to affect the 3.3l V6 engine.

I don't have any specific experience with the Sorento model, but they appear to be as good as any other KIA and I'm not aware of any serious problems with that model. However, I'm sure some of our members with direct experience with that year and model will chime in here to help you out with advice.

Good luck, you could do a lot worse than a KIA.

·
Registered
2015 Sorento EX V6 AWD Ebony Black
1,153 Posts
That 3.3 V6 is a powerful, economical, bulletproof (good) engine design as long as you service it properly! Then it will serve you Well! But if it's a used car, like any other car, as long as it wasn't it abused by a previous owner, or dealership? There is no known issues with this engine. Good Luck! It's a Great vehicle I love mine!

·
Registered
2014 Sorento LX V-6
144 Posts
How many miles on the one you're looking at? It should carry over 5yr/60K miles on both powertrain and bumper-to-bumper (with a few exceptions like the radio). Our '14 Sorento LX with the V-6 has 36K troublefree miles on it. We get as much as 29MPG on long trips.

We also have a '13 Soul with 75K miles and no problems except a steering rack issue fixed under warranty.

Two of the Gold-Certified KIA Technicians at the dealership I take photos at say the V-6 is "bulletproof". Recently, they had one of the first V-6 replacements (compared to a couple 4-Cyl each week). The reason was it had 80K miles on one oil change. If it can survive that kind of abuse, think how long it will last with TLC!

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,114 Posts
I'm not familiar with this model, but advise you to confirm the service history and make sure that it hasn't skipped a single oil change.

In modern cars these days the oil is also used for for the variable valve timing hydraulic controls, so even greater need for really clean oil.

·
Registered
Sorento 2015
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's a certified pre owned with AWD and 16,500 miles on it. Dealership said it was a lease. Sounds like it comes with the 10yr/100,000mile powertrain warranty also. They are asking $27,960 for it.
Oh has anyone had too many problems with the Panaramic moonroof??

·
Registered
2014 Sorento LX V-6
144 Posts
Yes, if it's a KIA Certified (from an actual KIA dealer and not just the dealer's "private label", you will inherit the 10yr/100K powertrain.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Akgirl, Check out my profile at the bottom of my posts. I've had mostly Hyundai's, & Kia's for the last 10yrs, some new, some used, put a lot of mileage on them all over the years, and never had any serious issues with them!
I Swear By Them, not at them ;)

I've had them serviced by the dealer, and have only had to replace normal wear items, like filters, tires, & brakes, on my own. They're like the Energizer Bunny, they keep going, and going, and going,,, :)

Reactions: Pretender

·
Premium Member
2019 KIA Sorento SX - 3.3L GDi V6 - AWD
954 Posts
It's a certified pre owned with AWD and 16,500 miles on it. Dealership said it was a lease. Sounds like it comes with the 10yr/100,000mile powertrain warranty also. They are asking $27,960 for it.
Oh has anyone had too many problems with the Panaramic moonroof??
The mileage is still pretty low, which is a good thing.

Was it serviced at the dealership? Be sure to ask for the previous service records.

No problems with the moon-roof.

The Sorento is a great car and the 3.3 L V6 is the best engine you can have in it - it is a very good powerful engine. AWD is definitely a bonus.

Richard

Reactions: MikDee

·
Registered
2014 Kia Sorento SXL 2WD, 1961 Triunph TR4 Roadster
712 Posts
I have a 2014 SXL V6 with a 2015 engine installed. The original engine died when I drove the brand new vehicle of the dealer lot, I did not make it to the street with it!
Factory reps pulled the engine (and took it with them to the factory to analyze what was wrong) and installed a brand new engine into the vehicle (they told me it was a 2015). I have now almost 60 000 miles on that engine and have had not a single problem with it. I had small glitches with different systems of the vehicle, but thy were repaired during the first few weeks of ownership.
I am pretty happy with this car, and it is at least as good as my Subaru Outback that I had prior to it!

·
Registered
Titanium Silver '15 Sorento SXL
61 Posts
I bought a 2015 Sorento SXL CPO (Certified Pre-Owned) that I bought in September, and it's been AWESOME!!!!! So many features, and rides SO great! The engine is very powerful, and the interior is comfortable, and it has tons of features (did I mention that?). If you're getting it CPO, see if the dealer will give you a trial of Sirius satellite radio (unless you already have a subscription you plan to transfer). I'd never had satellite radio before, and I really liked it--so much so that I just subscribed yesterday (a year for $6.39/month).

The panoramic sun roof is *really* cool! So much sky above to see. :)

Obviously, with only a few months of ownership, I can't comment too much on reliability, but my impression is that the car is quite solid and reliable. Again, if you're going CPO, you'll have a full year's warranty on *everything* (except usual wear and tear items like brake pads, etc., I think), so should anything major go wrong in the first full year, it's covered. Then you'll have the balance of the 10 year powertrain warranty, which is reassuring.

Having AWD in a snowy area (like where I live in Pennsylvania) is VERY nice, and living in the city (Philadelphia) having the backup camera is unbelievably helpful, as I parallel park every single day.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Yes, the AWD is awesome! And the rear view camera, I hope it never breaks because I can't back up without it! :eek: Especially at night with the tinted glass, being in the deep dark woods! ;)

"The woods are beautiful, dark, and deep, miles to go before I sleep"
Quote: The Great"Telefon" movie, with Charles Bronson! ;)

Reactions: Pretender

·
Registered
2014 Kia Sorento SX V6 AWD
81 Posts
Bought my 2014 new… SX… so not many extras missing ( heated steering wheel, tilt headlights for hills)
I did by a third row seat model, but would never again as it is great for grand kids to get into but not adults.
Do not want to jinx but my warrenty claims are mirror turn indicator failed and both badges delaminated.
I do oil changes with blend every 3,500 and add Techtron fuel additive every oil change.
My UVO is to old for apple car play, but my iphone connects via Bluetooth so i use any playlist on my phone.
I only subscribe to Sirrus traffic and only use Kias navigation not wavy as phone screen to small.

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
1,290 Posts
Look over the service records. Likely two oil changes maybe 3 done. Its a good year. Best lighting back and front which in mine is HID headlights and real big tail lights. I love that for the A-holes who drive right behind me. My brake lights could blind them at night!! LOL

I have been running synthetic in mine since I bought it used. Price seems high but a lot are due tot he shortage.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts