Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picking up my 2.5d Auto next Saturday :D

Dealer said he would always put drive into neutral when stopping at lights etc.. rather than leaving it in drive.

I thought once placed in drive you would leave it there till you parked etc...

·
Registered
153 Posts
An Automatic transmission has a torque converter that acts as a “clutch”. The converter is designed to slip all the time, so you can not cause any damage to it when stopped and in D.

When shifting to N and back to D the drive train gets a shock, this shock will cause more damage, in the long run, then leaving the auto box in D.

Of course if it is a long stop and you are tired stepping on the brakes or the hand brake does not hold the car then put it into N.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - explanation makes a lot of sense - I think I'll be using the forum a lot :57: Hopefully not for problems but just for good advice :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Originally posted by skarcrow@Feb 24 2005, 08:33 AM
Picking up my 2.5d Auto next Saturday :D

Dealer said he would always put drive into neutral when stopping at lights etc.. rather than leaving it in drive.

I thought once placed in drive you would leave it there till you parked etc...
Absolutely right. Leave it in drive. I have been on an advanced driving course and the instructor said that there is a much lower incidence of automatics being hit from behind when stationery because the brake lights are on and that attracts other drivers' attention.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts