Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
'13 EX V6 FWD, '04 Nissan Armada
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help from Sorento owners that have purchased recently. I've been negotiating with my local dealer on a "new" 2013 EX V6 FWD with Premium and Limited Packages. I was very specific on what we were looking for and the dealer didn't have what we wanted on the lot because they are getting rid of their '13 inventory to make room for the '14s. They found what I wanted at another dealer so we negotiated on price, etc. before I could even see the vehicle because they wouldn't bring the vehicle in unless I agreed to a price and put down a deposit. We came to an agreement of $29.9k (the truck also had cross bars, side steps, tow hitch, cargo net & cover, and rear bumper protection) before tax, title ($18), dealer fee ($499), and lemon law fee ($3).

Here's where I am stuck...I got a call from my salesman who had to inform me that the vehicle they are bringing in tomorrow has 1,700 miles on it!! They didn't even know until they were drawing up the exchange order (they are "trading" an Optima they have for the Sorento I want with the dealer.

So, two questions:

1. Is the $29.9 price a good deal for a "new" Sorento with those options?
2. How much less is the Sorento worth with 1,700 miles on it? They tell me the dealer's wife has been driving it...

Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
If it was me, I'd calculate the new price less any current incentives and THEN deduct another 50 cents to a dollar per mile for the mileage.

I'm not sure what you mean by Limited AND Premium package. It's got to be one or the other. I'll assume it's Premium since that's the more expensive package. (If it's got a nav system, it's probably premium. If it's only got UVO then it's a limited package) Edmunds "true market" price for what you described is 31.5k less the current 1.5k incentive. So your price is only $100 cheaper than that. Take another $1200 off if you've got the Limited package instead of Premium. I don't think I'd bother with this unless they took another 900-1700 off the price. Otherwise, you might as well just get a brand new one that someone didn't drive around for a few months.

Best,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. The packages confused me as well, but they told me to use the brochure so it is the Limited Package which requires I have the Premium Package as well, so I guess it is both but it's called the Limited Package? Basically it has all the stuff included in the Premium Package plus what is included in the Limited Package...according to the brochure any way.

They are trying to give me $.25 a mile. I'm worried about what the driver has done in or with the vehicle. If the car was never titled, there isn't a car fax for it, is there?

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
Thanks for the reply. The packages confused me as well, but they told me to use the brochure so it is the Limited Package which requires I have the Premium Package as well, so I guess it is both but it's called the Limited Package? Basically it has all the stuff included in the Premium Package plus what is included in the Limited Package...according to the brochure any way.

They are trying to give me $.25 a mile. I'm worried about what the driver has done in or with the vehicle. If the car was never titled, there isn't a car fax for it, is there?
No title = no carfax

There's no way I'd take that deal. If you're going to be paying almost retail, you might as well get one that hasn't already been lived in.

Best,

·
Registered
Wife- 2013 Sorento EX FWD, Me- 2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
27 Posts
My wife has the same exact car. She has a 2013 FWD V6 EX with the limited and premium packages. It doesn't have any other features that are on your potential car. It had 55 miles on it when we bought it and most of those miles were from transporting it from one dealer to the dealer we bought it from. We had seen it at the first dealer and test drove it but they were not willing to work for price so we went to another dealer who traded vehicles for it. We bought it back in May and the MSRP was 34545. We negotiated the price down to 31500 before rebates. We got 2500 in rebates so we paid 29000 for it.

I don't know the cost of all the extras on your vehicle, or if you really want to pay extra for those to begin with. I also don't know what the rebates currently are for them. But with the 2014s coming out in a few weeks, I don't know of how good of a deal you are getting. I don't think its a bad deal but you may be able to do better as they will be wanting to get rid of all the 2013s.

The mileage situation would concern me a bit. I would try to get at least 0.50 per mile. With it being at a different dealer, you can't inspect it for dings or scratches until they deliver it.

It's your decision though. Depends how much more you want to haggle with them. But I would just make sure they are well aware that if you see it and it has any type of ding or scratch, or anything else abnormal, that you can get your deposit back no problem in cash.

Good luck. Hopefully my numbers helped you out. My wife still loves her car and I enjoy driving it whenever she allows me to.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento Ex V6
290 Posts
Can you find out where it was delivered. (dealer location) when it had near 0 miles. Wondering if it may have been in a flood area. :confused:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for all the replies. They gave us almost $1.00 a mile so we ended up going from $29.9 to $28.4. We looked it over for a while and it was in really nice shape. Also got them to cover the Nav upgrade from v4 to v5, so that was good. Looking forward to breaking this thing in!

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. They gave us almost $1.00 a mile so we ended up going from $29.9 to $28.4 and it was in really nice shape. We went over it really well. Also got them to cover the Nav upgrade from v4 to v5, so that was good. Looking forward to breaking this thing in!
I thought that the dealer's wife already did that!

Provided that it was used as described, it should be good to go, and the original dealer would have tidied up any minor issues. Assuming it's an automatic, there's not much that ordinary driving would do to damage the engine/drivetrain.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. They gave us almost $1.00 a mile so we ended up going from $29.9 to $28.4. We looked it over for a while and it was in really nice shape. Also got them to cover the Nav upgrade from v4 to v5, so that was good. Looking forward to breaking this thing in!
That's more like it. :) Congrats!

Best,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts