Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Kia Sedona SX
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have a 2015 Kia Sedona SX with over 160k miles. The other night going down the interstate the car started making a weird noise, I saw the oil light come on, pulled over and it died. When I tried to start it, it did start but there was a bad knocking coming from the engine. Had it towed to a shop and they said I would need a new engine.

I've been looking at used options, but one thing I'm trying to confirm is interchangeability. I did confirm I have the 8th digit VIN #1. I've seen some places on Ebay say that the 2015-2018 Sedona 3.3L engine is compatible with the 2014-2016 Cadenza engine, but at least one listing I found for a Cadenza engine in that timeframe said it wasn't compatible. The seller has another that says it is. So I'm not sure if there are certain engine choices/vins with the Cadenza that are valid and some that aren't.

I found another place that says it has JDM engines imported from Japan. Are there any modifications or things to watch out for I would have to do or consider with these or should they work ok?

Beyond that, does anyone have any additional advice?

Thanks in advance,
John

·
Registered
'15 Kia Sedona SX
103 Posts
Wow! Impressive miles, but in my experience (at least with Mazda MPVs), the body/suspension rusts away way before the engine has major problems. 160k sounds like highway miles, which typically do less damage than, say, short trips in cold climes. Sorry that I can't help much your particular question (see below), but please share with us any information you may glean, even info on oil, oil change frequency, past issues, dealership trips, mechanical work, or anything else that might help others?

BTW: Given you're in the pot for a new motor, might as well at least consider an upgrade (turbo, anyone? :)). Either way, I'd find an independent shop that you trust (I would actually trust my guy to do an engine swap, do it right, and guarantee it). He would do all the work/take all the risk of matching up the motors. From the interwebs:

Hyundai Lambda II GDi G6DH (or G6DP turbo)
The 3.3L G6DH version was introduced with the 2012 Azera. The engine produces 280–294 hp (209–219 kW; 284–298 PS) at 6,400 rpm and 248–255 lb⋅ft (336–346 N⋅m) of torque at 5,200 rpm. G6DH Applications (other than Sedona):
G6DP produces 365 hp (272 kW; 370 PS) at 6,000 rpm and 376 lb⋅ft (510 N⋅m) of torque between 1,300 and 4,500 rpm.
Applications: Genesis G90 G80, G70, and Stinger!

Good luck!

·
Registered
'14 Cadenza SX-L, '16 Sedona SX, Atlanta, GA, USA
232 Posts
On the face of it, I think they'd be interchangeable, as they're mated to the same FWD transmission, but you might also have to swap out the ECU, and check to see if there are any differences in the wiring harness. If you use the Sedona ECU, you might only get Sedona power due to throttle mappings.

I think a Cadenza motor swap would be a good thing - you'd get more power, which would be welcome in the Sedona. Sedona 3.3 I think is rated at 276hp, while the '14-16 Cadenza is 293hp - 17hp more.
Torgue would go from 248 to 255 ft-lbs, an increase of 7 ft-lbs.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Curious about the maintenance schedule on the car, It seems like it failed like KIA fortes engines in the mass recall? Shouldn't the whole line of KIA engines be covered by this, as it seems they all get this after some time/use?

I have been worried about this since the car was new... the similar to knocking noise at startup (seemingly caused by the high pressure fuel pump) does not help for the quietness of mind!

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sedona LX
5 Posts
Curious about the maintenance schedule on the car, It seems like it failed like KIA fortes engines in the mass recall? Shouldn't the whole line of KIA engines be covered by this, as it seems they all get this after some time/use?

I have been worried about this since the car was new... the similar to knocking noise at startup (seemingly caused by the high pressure fuel pump) does not help for the quietness of mind!
Yeah also curious about your driving habits and maintenance schedule. 160k miles seems a bit short to me. I drove an '06 Accord until 235k miles before I traded it in and not because anything was wrong with the engine or transmission. Was hoping to get at least 200k miles out of my 2019 Sedona.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Make sure its really the engine. I had a similar thing happen with a Subaru. Everybody assumed the engine was toast. The tow truck driver, my buddy, myself. Because that’s what it sounded like. Took it to the dealer and it was a valve body on the transmission. Make sure the shop knows Kia and isn’t just assuming the engine is shot. You would hate to replace the engine only and then find out it was fine all along.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just hope these don't become common threads here, or that my sedona shows signs of this in 5-10 years when it reaches about that mileage!

But, considering cost of depreciation, a shot engine at 160k miles aint that bad, but on a 2015, its surprising, on a KIA (considering the case with Theta engines), it may be expectable?

Meanwhile, Ill keep stacking most of the miles on our corolla, until we are 6 and cant use it much more.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts