Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio Cinco
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Kia Rio Cinco, I haven't had any issues with the car for months, until now. I was driving out in the country, and the transmission SUDDENLY quit working. I went to accelerate, put my foot on the gas pedal, and the engine just revs, and the RPM gauge jumps all over. Got it off the road, and tried it in every gear, R, D, 1, 2, the motor just revs, it will not go anywhere. It has an automatic transmission, did the transmission go out, or could it be something simpler?

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio 2003 Dodge Durango 1993 Chevy C1500
95 Posts
Did you check the fluid level? You could have sprung a leak in a hose. Could be a torque converter that gave up on you. Have you ended up with any codes? Maybe your shifter cable, but you would feel your shifter real loose.

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio Cinco
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you check the fluid level? You could have sprung a leak in a hose. Could be a torque converter that gave up on you. Have you ended up with any codes? Maybe your shifter cable, but you would feel your shifter real loose.
I checked fluid, it is fine. My husband thinks maybe torque converter too, it makes a slight squealing noise when you are on the gas. If it is the torque converter, does that mean we have to get a whole new transmission, or can we buy just a torque converter? No codes. The check engine light comes on every once in a while while it is started, but it doesn't come on every time we start it.

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio, 2011 Kia Sorento 2005 f 250 1996 geo metro 1992 f 150
1,023 Posts
If the cel is comming on and off there is a code set in memory please have it read and let us know it could help alot. If the torque converter is bad it means ripping out the tranny to have it replaced big cost if you cant do it yourself. I wish you luck with it. Reguards Ronjohn

·
Registered
3 Posts
Transmission problems

I have an issue with my 2005 Kia Rio. The vehicle won't run into any gear and when it does it runs was very very slowly. It also goes forward when placed in reverse and a very slow speed. I am getting OBD codes 700 730 you want 731 and 732 and 734 and 741. Do you have any suggestions on what might be wrong with this transmission. Sorry this is an automatic transmission if I haven't mentioned it before.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts