Kia Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 2013 BMW K1600 GTL
11,067 Posts
That's not a relay. It's just a resistor that excites the alternator field to start the charging process off. It's not connected to the starting circuit in any way.

This post. My post is my issue. I need to get a new relay. I'm pretty sure it's a relay not a resistor like someone said. The big long post you linked talks a lot about lots of things. But not this exact relay. So, that big post is not my problem, this post is.
The device that you are focused on that has the appearance of a relay is what's called the "pre-exitation resistor" as pointed out by an expert earlier in this thread, and as advised has nothing to do with the starting circuit.

With LED's replacing the old incandescent charging indication lamps this pre-exitation device is needed - the current from the old lamps provided the excitation current.

The response you get from tapping on that device is an indication that there's a poor electrical joint somewhere in the fuse box.

The only place you'll be able to get that pre-exitation device is the dealership.

·
Registered
2006 Sedona
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thank you for more information. The other post didn't go into as much detail and didn't move my information forward at all. I found this too, for my info as to how it works / what it does (not for the kia, just in general) ... Which helps me understand...

Now I have something I can ask for by name... I appreciate the detailed description.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 2013 BMW K1600 GTL
11,067 Posts
Now I have something I can ask for by name... I appreciate the detailed description.
That's if you still firmly believe that a component in the charging circuit can effect the starting circuit.

With a sufficiently charged battery you can start and run the car without an alternator.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
143 Posts
The other post didn't go into as much detail
I told you the alternator "relay" had nothing to do with the starting circuit that your trying to diagnose. Sorry, I didn't think any more detail than that was required.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts