Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Sedona
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Label is alternator in the kick panel fuse box. Cannot find replacement online anywhere nor any spec in the manual.
Thanks for your help finding where to find a replacement.
Jeff

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
933 Posts
Just curious....why do want to replace the relay? Is it not functioning?
Can you order the part via the Kia dealership? Go there and bring in your 'door' to show them, year and model.
Match the relay up with their parts department.
Sometime face to face, even with a mask on, is quicker than poke and hope with a computer..
Good luck!!

·
Registered
2006 Sedona
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it's displaying the intermittent no start, we used to kick the dash, thought it was a relay on the board of the anti theft system as has been reported by others having similar issues, but after dealing with it for years I decided to troubleshoot it again with a fresh set of eyes. When it's in the no crank condition if you flick the relay with your finger, just even lightly flicking it, while turning the key it will fire right up.
Yes, I could go to the dealership but why if I can ID it and find a replacement...

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
933 Posts
I meant for you to purchase the part from a dealership; you do the R&R; you are the mechanic.
A lot of parts are 'dealership available only'. This may be one of the many that fit that category.
Unless you are specifically looking for a used one or cheaper knock off one??

·
Registered
2006 Sedona
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, I understand, it's a relay, not that hard to replace. I literally just cannot identify it to buy a replacement. It's almost like it's had one pin removed because I only find 4 pin relays and nothing like this one... Didn't imagine it would be so difficult to find a replacement relay...

·
Registered
933 Posts
In this case the dealership is your only friend....

·
Registered
2006 Sedona
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, just because you and I don't know doesn't mean someone else doesn't know :)

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
143 Posts
That's not a relay. It's just a resistor that excites the alternator field to start the charging process off. It's not connected to the starting circuit in any way.

·
Registered
2006 Sedona
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ah, that would make sense... Looks like a relay :) I'll hunt with this new information.

·
Registered
933 Posts
If that's the case, you might just need to tighten up the crimp on the receiving end of the resistor box. Put a dab of good quality electrical grease on the pins. Hope this works!

·
Registered
2006 Sedona
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did tweak the pins a little bit to put some more resistance into the connection... Didn't have any electrical grease handy but I'll do that too. Good ideas! Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
2005 Optima/Magentis 2.0L 4 cyl 4 speed auto 2WD
6 Posts
I have had great luck finding genuine parts on Partsouq.

Enter your VIN and save it to their Garage. Not only do they have accurate parts diagrams and parts in-stock, but they list the OEM part numbers. That is a great help to me when trying to source something on the web.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2006 Sedona
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea, it's like is a part from area 51 or something... It's not documented.

·
Registered
06 Grand Carnival
386 Posts
Make yourself a coffee or a beverage of your choosing an have a read of this thread. HERE at last count there were 206 posts on this issue.
Brian

·
Registered
2006 Sedona
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I started with all that stuff. I'm 100% sure this is the issue, at least with mine... I appreciate the thought though :)

·
Registered
2006 Sedona
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This post. My post is my issue. I need to get a new relay. I'm pretty sure it's a relay not a resistor like someone said. The big long post you linked talks a lot about lots of things. But not this exact relay. So, that big post is not my problem, this post is.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Have you tried to buy it at a dealership yet

·
Registered
2006 Sedona
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Called them, they couldn't figure it out asked for these same pictures. They said the same thing, "well, it's not listed..." I'm going to go there because they haven't replied yet and it's been a few days...

·
Registered
06 Grand Carnival
386 Posts
Okay... The issue you mentioned in post #3 is intermittent no start unless you kick the dash. The relay you are chasing as mentioned an alternator RESISTOR and DIODE as seen in the schematic in the circuit diagram on the top. Inside the box behind the fuses is an INTEGRATED relay that goes bad, that is why it starts with a kick.
If your van is charging, the problem is NOT the resistor relay. You could test the resister relay/box for open circuit with a DMM if you wanted confirmation

1 - 20 of 24 Posts