Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I need to get some new tires for the Borrego and wanted to know what you replaced yours OEMs with?
I live in Louisville KY and drive about 50 miles a day highway. My Honda Pilot had Yokahama Geolander H/T-S G052s on it and I loved them ( Yokohama Geolandar H/T-S G052 ) so that is what I am thinking about getting again.

The tires have to be something that does good in the rain and snow but is much better than the OEMs that ride horrible and hard/stiff.

Suggestions...?

·
Registered
68 Posts
If you shop at Costco, they have 9 different tires for the Borrego. The BFGoodrich - Radial Long Trail T/A is not bad at $150 a piece. This was the OEM tires on my 2004 4Runners, which I thought was fine.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Hello all. I need to get some new tires for the Borrego and wanted to know what you replaced yours OEMs with?
I live in Louisville KY and drive about 50 miles a day highway. My Honda Pilot had Yokahama Geolander H/T-S G052s on it and I loved them ( Yokohama Geolandar H/T-S G052 ) so that is what I am thinking about getting again.

The tires have to be something that does good in the rain and snow but is much better than the OEMs that ride horrible and hard/stiff.

Suggestions...?
It is my understanding that NTB is having a big sale that includes the geolander tire, buy 2, get 2 free. Only catch being you have to also get a front end alignment. That said, I bought the michelin latitude tour tire, though I almost got the Kumho.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is my understanding that NTB is having a big sale that includes the geolander tire, buy 2, get 2 free. Only catch being you have to also get a front end alignment. That said, I bought the michelin latitude tour tire, though I almost got the Kumho.
And of course, there are no NTBs in Louisville... :(

·
Registered
293 Posts
In that case, get the Michelin Latitude tour (109t) which are on sale at tirerack.com for $122 each (save $100 per tire). I am assuming you have the 18 in tires.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Edwelly,
I was in the same boat as you. Although I didn't even have 20.000 miles on the stock KumHo I didn't like them - and they surely didn't do anything at all in winter. Like walking outside in CROCS... :)
Anyhow, after a lot of research, I ended up purchasing stock size (P245/70R17) tires at TireRack.com. I got the Michelin LTX MS2 OWL. OWL is outlined white letters, and I had them mounted with the white letters in, which works with this tire.
WELL, driving in snow: NO problem. Driving on ice: Yes, still a problem, it is Ice - but the electronic stabilization helped a LOT - driving in rain: HERE I COME, driving on dry roads: Great. Overall, a wonderful tire. Would gladly buy again.
I compared prices, and when I bought them, Tire Rack had a $70 rebate. Before rebate, I paid $723.76

·
Registered
12 Posts
Tire Replacement

Just purchased 4 NITTO Crostek tires for the V8 Borrego, they are excellent also tow a travel trailer and they are fine with it...Added a full size spare as I do not like the donut tire..

·
Registered
293 Posts
Wow, you don't have a full size spare? My spare on my EX is full size. I only know this for sure as I had to use it. Be aware that due to suspension play, the jack doesn't do a good job of raising the truck high enough to change the tire. Fortunately, I had a couple of books that I put under the jack to get it high enough. Go figure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
"the OEMs that ride horrible and hard/stiff"
The OEM tires on my EX AWD were Hankook RA-07. The tire dealer I went to ordered the replacement tires for me over the phone. Turns out, they have a similar tire called an 'RH-07'...markedly different tire and they only supply it through select dealers. I had to show my tire dealer the photo of the tire on the Tirerack website to prove to him that they exist...Hankook had told him that the RA-07 didn't exist. He pulled some favors to get me the RA-07 from a different warehouse but I drove on the RH-07 for 2 days. They were a noticeably different ride. The RA-07 are quieter, I got 40k miles on the first set, drove in snow with no problems (AWD), etc. I would pay double to get the RA-07s again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Winter Tires

Hi,

My OEM tires are on 18" rims (P265/60R18). I wanted to save those for summer so I bought 17" steel winter wheels.

I found that the wheel for the later model of the Chevy Uplander has the same lug pattern (6/115mm).

With those I could use the same tire specs from the LxV6 Borrego which uses 17" wheels but has the same outside diameter (P245/70R17).

This will lower the price and hopefully wth a slightly higher sidewall on the tire, absorb icy bumps a little better.

For the tires, I'm trying the nokian hakkapeliitta 5 (SUV studless), it is a highly rated winter tire especially made for ice and snow.
I was talked out of getting studded tires which are only legal here for 6 months, but now I may regret that since we had some ice the other day, and stopping distances could have been better.

I am still waiting for proper winter conditions to compare braking from last year on the original Hankook all season tires that I left on last winter. If I am not satisfied, I may switch to studded or try the Yokahama Geolander I/T tires.

Also, the Hakk 5's are very smooth on the highway. I didn't notice road noise or have any vibration issues.

Drive safe! :auto:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I got the Michelin LTX MS2s about three weeks ago, and the ride difference between the new ones and the OEM tires (the Hankooks) is amazing. The Hankooks rode very, very harsh - and in my EX were pretty loud. The Michelins are very quiet, very nice riding, and have kept traction in the rain very well. Not sure how they will do in the snow, but they have to be better than the Hankooks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
9 Participants
jbrigance
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing