Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a new Mass Air Flow sensor , since mine is pretty much FUBARed. My car is a Kia Sephia 2000 LS (with 1.8L DOHC engine if I remember correctly). My car runs sluggish during idle but normal driving is unaffected (since I modified the hell out of the intake system just to cope with the sensor). Sometimes the car stalls or shuts off, and other times it bucks. I made sure the sensor is installed correctly and flowing the right way, I took off the negitive ground for 15 mins to reset the computer and to recalibrate the system. I also added a few home made ground wires. I know its the sensor since one of the chips inside the sensor that measures the air is chipped off. So its basically half a sensor.

here is what I did to it so far:

Mind you I got this car in shambles, I had to replace alot of the hoses since they were rotting, I also had to get rid of the stock battery cables since the termals that connect to the battery were crackinga bout about ready to break (they were rusted and I had to sand them, they look like they use some sort of brass and aluminum combo but I know its just aluminum). I replaced them with some heavier guage wiring, sanded both the contacts of the new cables and the battery terminals. I replaced the break air bleeder hose (the one that connects to the carb) since the lines kept getting too much air bled into the lines (helps with braking alot). I also installed a modified intake system, I also took out alot of weight (atleast 100+ pounds of extra crap.) Replaced the spark plug wires (gonna replace the coils and the wires with higher performance ones, or atleast the wires with 8/9MM or higher), Dropped in some Bosch Platinum 4+ spark plugs (what a difference! The ones that came with the car were stock NGK plugs that were worn and had high speed glazing on them). I also did soem hand detailing (engine compartment cleaning which made a difference when working inside the car, alot easier).

now mind you that the car was just all trashed up when I got it since it was originally driven by my sister who lived in the HOT climate of vegas and from what I heard, she drove the heck out of it. Now im stuck with replacing parts on the car, but none of the less I have a blast doing it. I really need that MAF replaced, its really making me not want to drive the car since the jerking is annoying and I don't want it to stall when I stop at an intersection or something. :(

The Kia place here in Southern California (located in Temecula) says that to buy a new sensor, its gonna cost approx $232.87 and they quoted a price of $90 for new coil packs, and thats if I install it myself, im sure they would gouge me if I were to let them install it (whats the point, I am mechanically inclined). I think those prices are more then bogus. Is there any place that I can get reasonably priced parts, stock or Aftermarket (aftermarket preferrably but stock will do)? I really don't want to have to fork out such a huge wad of dough, if none fo you knows of a place (online or retail, doesn't matter to me) then I guess ill roam the junk yards, and if that doesn't work, then I will just fork over the dough and suck it up.

Thanks for all of your help, its nice to have something different instead of seeing everyone drive around with Riced out Hondas (everyone has one). Atleast my car isn't as common as dirt and far cheaper. Also I figured that Modifying my Kia would give me the best challange (since its harder to modify it, it will force me to learn more about cars) and it also makes for a good, worthwile project, if anyone has any tips for modifying Kias besides KFPerformance or Kia-FX then let me know.

one last question, how easy is it to install a free flowing (Flowmaster) muffler, I know that the piping uses 2 1/4 Inch piping but do most mufflers work, and if not how would I go about modifying it to work if all everyone has are 2 1/2 Inch or 2 Inch muffler/piping? :unsure:

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,117 Posts
get a maf on ebay also there are some coils on there cheap.
as far as anything other than kfx there isnt anything out there thats the only place.

a lot of ppl have had problems after installing bosch plat+4 maybe thats the bucking your getting.......

for plug wires no one makes a performance set of wires have to go stock. samw with coils only stockers ar ava.

I get m parts from
www.kiausaparts.com

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no its not the bosches. I borrowed a MAF from a friend of mine and made a few runs (normal driving, revving it up, driving up steep hills and driving with overdrive on and off to test it) and it solved all my problems, and got rid fo that darn CEL. As soon as I put my MAF back in (hey, the guy needs his of course since thats his only car) and the problems started again. Like I said, I looked inside and one of the chips inside that measure airflow is chipped off/broken, so there is half a chip left. When I got it it had alot of sand inside the airbox (since my sister drove it in vegas and its a really dirty place there), I believe that the damage was caused then. But the (Temperary) MAF replacement solved my problems since my friend gave it to me to borrow for a few days to test it since he didn't have to go anywhere for a while. To be honest, I guess I must be the lucky one because I never had any problems with the Bosches. Maybe I lucked out or something? By the way, thanks for the fast reply, that helps. I was starting to get discouraged.

*Edit*
another question. What kind of problems have people been having? Also what would be the best "performance" spark plugs to run if I find out I have problems. I might just pick up a set to give it a test to see what I find out. Doesn't hurt to try right? I appreciate your answers, Its nice to atleast find some information on Kias, the thought of having to go at everything on your own without any help when needed sucks.

*edit2*
I decided to take your advise and hit up ebay (thank you so much! The prices are too sweet, 10 bucks plus 5 shipping, versus 232.87 bucks, Thats gonna save me bank!) Anyways I found a 1999 Kia Sephia MAF and a 2000 RIO MAF. I was wondering if either or both would work. If so I might buy both and keep one as a backup. I have a strong feeling that the 1999 Sephia will work since it looks exactly the same as mine, but I just want to make sure. here are some links with pictures if it helps.

Kia Rio 2000:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...sspagename=WDVW

Kia Sephia 1999:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...sspagename=WDVW

also, what is that blastic grill on the MAF for? You can see it inside the Rio picture, I always wondered that, Does it have a special purpose?

also thanks again for your help, that made me so happy to save so much money that can be spent on other much needed parts. :thumbsup: :grin:

·
Premium Member
6,117 Posts
If the maf is broke it needs replace they are very sensitive....
PPl that I know that used the +4s get shaking bucking lose of power. It doesnt seem to happen right off like weeks or month later.
I personally have bosch Plat+2 and they work great I have them in my 99 sephia and my 01 spectra. But the stock NGK are actually suitable for the car... Remeber all the hype on the + whatever platinum is just a saying there is no p[erforamnce gain from plugs.

The 99 sephia maf will work just fine but the rio one will NOT work... Different it is connected directly to the TB.

The purpose of the screen is to supposedly straighten the air flow into car. But I removed mine just to see if anything happened and nothing did still runs fine. some say you get a gain some say its the same..... I say the same.

Also NP with the help thats what we are here for!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know not to believe spark plug hype (since it can't create any more horsepower the engine didn't already have unless the engine is in need fo a serious tuneup and you install fresh plugs).

I would have used the stock NGK plugs but they were severely worn, had sooty and high speed glazing on them. The center and ground electrode had pretty advanced wear, and when they were in the engine refused to rev past 3000RPM and kept misfiring like a soldier who had one too many drinking breaks.

Also what sparkplugs would you recommend? I am looking for something with a very fine center electrode and atleast one range colder then stock.

What causes the bosches to make the Sephia act so erradically?

The only reason why I stuck with the Bosches were because I needed new plugs really badly. When my sister had the car, the mechanics really gouged her and didn't do any real maintainence work on her car.

Any other plugs that other Sephia users have had problems with that I should know about?

Also yes, the Maf is broke, I confirmed it when I took a second look, the chip looks like a 2 forked chip, one of the forks/prongs is missing/broke off. So That would explain my problem.

·
Premium Member
6,117 Posts
either just get ngk part number bkr6e or go with bosch plat+2

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, just placed a bid on the MAF, have to wait till tomorrow to see if I win. I did a few quick tweaks and my car is not sluggish anymore, in fact I got rid of the problems together with the MAF (still need a new one since that one is damaged and I just did tweaks to it). Next up is a ECU addon box and a new exaust system.

EDIT: I was checking out some new radiators made by fluidyne (or how ever you spell it) and I saw one for the Mazna engine that is exactly the same as the Kia radiator, accept it has better coolant capacity and better fans. I was thinking of putting that on, or if I have to, adapt it to the Kia. What do you think? Also do you know how I can replace that stock POS oil cooler and mount 1 or 2 other oil coolers? Any guides on taht would be helpful. If I am lucky I will also change the rubber radiator pipes with metal ones or something similiar.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts