Kia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a brand new 2005 Kia Sportage, which I just love. I'm trying to get an Alpine CDA-9853 stereo installed in it, but my installer says that Kia has apparently changed the plug on their stereo wiring harness, that the harness which he has for late-model Kias (a Metra 70-1003) won't fit, and that he hasn't been able to find anything that will fit the new plug.

Does anybody know where I can get a wiring harness that will fit the plug, and solve my problem? Even a vendor and part number would be helpful.

Thanks!

-Brent

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,115 Posts
you can do this without a harness..
You will have to figure which wires are what though..... Long process.
get teh wiring diagram from www.kiatechinfo.com then splice the wires in rear with crimps or appropriate wires.

·
Registered
2000 Kia Sportage
67 Posts
you can do this without a harness..
You will have to figure which wires are what though..... Long process.
get teh wiring diagram from www.kiatechinfo.com then splice the wires in rear with crimps or appropriate wires.
God those words scare the crap out of me. Yes, it CAN be done. I hope though you can find a harness. spliced radio wires just scare the crap out of me and i always try to sway people from doing it. I've had too many bad experiences with that. Some my doing... some NOT my doing. The worst was when my fiance bought her 97 sportage... she complained to me that the stereo was cutting in and out. I drove it to work the next day to diagnose it and on my way in, the radio cut out and smoke started coming from the dash. I shut it and everything off. I got to work and pulled the stereo to find that the previous owner had spliced the radio wires and connected them with twist wire nuts... y'know the hardware you buy from home depot that is used for house wiring. Not good at all! I wound up going to a yard to buy a factory harness...soldering that in place, then going to circuit city and buying a wiring harness for it...not fun.

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,115 Posts
I dont mean just tie them together. I mean buy the clips that hold wires on both ends crimp down put shrink over the connections..

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just pulled the factory radio out of my 2005 Spectra, and it also has a different connector than the earlier models. But I pulled up the Scosche diagrams for Hyundai (the factory radio is from Hyundai) and found a harness adapter that will work for mine. Maybe youn can do the same - go through the different harness photos/diagrams 'till you find what will work for you.

OT: Cruise control was installed today - so nice to have that back! An alarm kit is on the way. Radio install is "in progress". So I'll have this new car whipped into shape in no time :grin:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have installed a aftermarket stereo in my Sportage and all though Crutchfield doesn't have a harmess on their site, they do carry them. You have to call and get the part number from a sales person.
Cheers
Kev

1 - 10 of 10 Posts