Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Back in 2008 I help my 16 year old daughter purchase an Elantra. I explained to her that between the price, mileage, and warranty that this car would get her through college without any huge expenses. This info was pretty spot on.

I later on parked my F150 Supercrew and purchased the 2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid which for the most part I have been very happy with and the cost savings in gas has paid the car payment for myself.

Now, for the most part we all know that Hyundai and Kia are sister companies and for the most part they make very similar vehicles which come with a pretty nice warranty.

So my now 21 year old daughter is pregnant and has 3 dogs, and was in a serious accident Monday evening and totaled her car (paid off elantra). Fortunately the vehicle while totaled did its job and protected her from serious injury. But now she is in the market for a new roomier vehicle. While the Sorrento and Santa Fe are a bit to pricey for her however the Tucson and Sportage I think will fit her.

So I had her test drive the base Tucson and both Base Sportages, AWD, and non AWD and she seems to like the Kia over the Hyundai which is also a little cheaper.

Now I was reading the different threads in regards to mileage, and I have experienced the mpg issue with Hyundai, but I never really bit in to the epa esitmats to begin with. So I suspect that the true freeway mileage for the sportage is about 25MPG, but I just wanted to get some confirmation from you guys who have been driving for a while. Also is there anything specific we should be concerned about or looking for? I believe all of the Hyundai and kia stereos are have Bluetooth issues. The price on the base awd seems to be about $21400 from talking to the dealers.

Anyhow., any info would be appreciated. Whether good or bad. If you have questions about the 2012 HSH or 2008 H Elantra let me know and I will be glad to answer them. I can also be found in the Hyundai forums under the same name.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought my AWD Sportage two weeks ago. Through just over 1,400 miles so far I have averaged 27.9 MPG. Most of the miles have been back roads with few traffic lights and mostly 55-60 MPH speed limits. I'm not a speed demon so others with a heavier foot may report lower MPG.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I get consistently 25-26 mpg on the highway in a 2012 Sportage SX AWD, cruising at 70-75 mph - I'd expect a base model to do better.

Around town more like 15-17 mpg, I have a heavy right foot & make a lot of short trips...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, she has about a 15 mile commute to and from work on the freeway which is pretty flat. So 25MPG seems realistic on the freeway.

·
Registered
33 Posts
350 mile trip all highway, 27mpg taking it easy per the onboard computer (best I ever saw), no hard acceleration, no speed above 70mph.
I have 13k on the motor. AWD. 2012
daily driving for work - city and highway, 12 miles each way. combined mpg is 21-22 per onboard computer.

·
Registered
2013 Sportage SX AWD
22 Posts
Is the Sportage big enough for the dogs in the back section and the baby in the rear seat?
Depends how big the dogs are. I've had 2 50 pound dogs in the cargo area and always have 2 kid seats in. The dogs had enough room but that was with no luggage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It will have to be, because she can't afford going to the Sorrento or Santafe.

I have located a 2013 AWD base for $22,000, I will try to get them down another $1,000. the MSRP was 24,040.00 So I think they have some more wiggle room.

We are still waiting for a payout amount for her 08 Elentra.

·
Registered
2011 Sportage, 2007 GTI, 2000 Firehawk
137 Posts
I take our 3 dogs (2 golden retrievers and a weimaraner) to the dog park in the back section (seats up) of our Sportage. Not room for anything else, but it works.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just joined this forum

Wow, dun4cheap, I was going to ask some of the same questions. I currently drive a Prius and used to getting 45 mpg. Now I'm looking for something better; I like sitting higher; and looking for a safe, reliable car that is reasonably priced. I am looking at the Tucson and the Sportage since I was told they are sister companies and have a great warranty. My main issue is "Can I fit an infant car seat rear facing in the back seat"" and still have the room for the passenger in the front and you asked the questions I was going to ask. I do like the back camera and adjustable seats but that would be all I'm looking for. I have navigation on my phone so I don't think I would need it in the car. My hubby said I should get blue tooth. Are these standard on any car or an option.

Thanks. Good luck dun4cheap

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage SX - Clear White
483 Posts
We have a 9 month old son who we have a rear facing car seat for. My wife still has room to sit in the passenger seat in front of it. Obviously the seat has to move forward a bit, but there is still plenty of leg room for her.

I also have a Golden Retriever and a West Highland terrier which we usually put in the trunk. If I am putting a stroller in the trunk however, we can fit the two dogs on the other back seat beside my son.

There is plenty of room for the car seat and the passenger though, to answer that question.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Wow, dun4cheap, I was going to ask some of the same questions. I currently drive a Prius and used to getting 45 mpg. Now I'm looking for something better; I like sitting higher; and looking for a safe, reliable car that is reasonably priced. I am looking at the Tucson and the Sportage since I was told they are sister companies and have a great warranty. My main issue is "Can I fit an infant car seat rear facing in the back seat"" and still have the room for the passenger in the front and you asked the questions I was going to ask. I do like the back camera and adjustable seats but that would be all I'm looking for. I have navigation on my phone so I don't think I would need it in the car. My hubby said I should get blue tooth. Are these standard on any car or an option.

Thanks. Good luck dun4cheap
I posted in here last night, but for some reason the post never appeared. In any event my Daughter bought a sportage last night. While we really considered the AWD and found a good price on one, we went with an LX with the convenience package. the MSRP was 26008, with the backup camera and nav. setup. Out the door, tax and license it was 25275. Basically $500 below invoice. Kia also started to offer $500 rebate if you finance through them, which began on May 1st.

Bluetooth is standard on all of them, and I can tell you that I love my Bluetooth in my Hybrid Sonata, but beware, Hyundai and Kia have had problems with their stereos and Bluetooth. Mine worked fine for 11 months, but then failed. Hyundai replaced my stereo last week. The new stereo has been updated and so far works even better than before. I do not have navigation in mine, but I mounted a tablet and use WAZE. It is also connected via Bluetooth.

For location, The dealer she purchased from was in Las Vegas, Nevada. The tax is 8.1%, I had them beat a dealer near me in San Diego California, North County KIA. Matter of fact, if it was not for the Nevada dealer stepping up and matching the San Diego price, she would have come down here to purchase it yesterday.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,527 Posts
dun4cheap - prices don't mean anything unless we know where you are located!

·
Registered
sportage base model manual trans
396 Posts
sportage vs santa fe

the 2014 santafe gets better milage than my 2011 sportage . almost twice the cargo room as well .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts