Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up from Montgomery Alabama,
Just bought my first Kia, 2006 4wd sportage 71,000, miles.

Im 51 yo Plumber, a very good shade tree mechanic. I havent ever seen a transmission pan vertical and under the battery.
I did check it out at oOrielys auto there is a filter gasket etc,,,,

Wow looks like a major deal to change the filter.

Hence the question, Drain, fill, say drain total of 3 times let it clean up an leave that 3rd fluid fill up be the service, not change the filter out.

Ive changed out chev, datsuns tran filters over the years basically look as good as the new one.

Has anyone with a 2006 4wd sportage just said go for it,,,,,,,,,,,,,

worked the fluid 2-3 times an let it ride on not changin the trans filter?

how many miles have you on yours???? by doing that , Ive heard of them going 200,000 miles,,,,,,,,
Appreciate it

·
Registered
06 Sportage/2012 Navara V6 TD
304 Posts
I have just over 100 000km on my 2006 V6 4WD Auto, and switched to synthetic at about the 40 000km mark. I had magnets on the subp plug, befire I did the change, not a crumb.

The synthetic still looks finr after 60 000km. As far as the filter goes, my understanding is that it is not normally changed.

Change the fluid, skip the filter, major job to change anyhow.

This site has some good instructions on changing the fluid: www.kiatechinfo.com

·
Registered
2 Posts
Need opions 2006 Sport 4wd auto trans fluid change

What brand of synthetic oil did you change to? I have an 07 Sportage and will be towing a trailer with it in a few months.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Nulon is the brand. The label on the side indicates that it exceeds the SP III spec required by the Kia/Hyundai transmissions. There are not to many other synthetic fluid brands that mention this.

·
Registered
09 Kia sportage. 13 Mazda CX9, 05 Mazda6, 97 Mazda 626, 92 Probe GT Turbo.
169 Posts
I attempted to change the trans filter once. After i finally had the engine unbolted, and jacked up so the pan could clear the lower radiator support, i came face to face with 100+ wires and solenoids under the cover. At which point i decided screw this, and have just been changing the fluid every 25K since.

Im currently at 208K in my 2009 and bought it new. And keeping up with my 25k flush's, ive yet to have any tranny issues. And i do abuse the crap out of the poor truck. Hence the high miles.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I attempted to change the trans filter once. After i finally had the engine unbolted, and jacked up so the pan could clear the lower radiator support, i came face to face with 100+ wires and solenoids under the cover. At which point i decided screw this, and have just been changing the fluid every 25K since.

Im currently at 208K in my 2009 and bought it new. And keeping up with my 25k flush's, ive yet to have any tranny issues. And i do abuse the crap out of the poor truck. Hence the high miles.
So you might say that it is abused with care??

·
Registered
169 Posts
I prefer to think of it as "Preventive maintenance". lol.

·
Registered
2009 Sportage LX V6 4WD, 2011 Mack GU813 405M
62 Posts

Not a truck.....not even close......

·
Registered
169 Posts
Not a truck.....not even close......
I agree its not a farm truck with a bed, but the title lables it as such. Take it up with them. lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.