Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
06 mitsubishi eclipce gt-se v6 106k miles , 00 sportage base 72,802 miles 2wd... purple...
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
need new block?

i recently replaced the rings as i had got bad compression on ALL cylinders but now having it all back together and did another test dry it is still bad.

i have been told the cylinder walls are ob-longed. is this a possibility and can i get it bored?

i can get new rings that are .50 over standard size to counter the bore.
will that work?

would it be in my best interest to get a good block from the junk yard?
and if so could the block from a 626 work?
just the block.

any help is helpful :D

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
If the engine is now working again after the new rings, it would be worthwhile giving it time to let the rings seat properly before testing the compression again.

Worn cylinders are usually slightly oval, usually with some type of taper over the length of the stroke (i.e. they are no longer cylinders). Only fix is to get them bored/honed and fit new pistons.

New rings alone will not fix the problem. They will flex under use and may even butt together at one end of the stroke.

·
Registered
06 mitsubishi eclipce gt-se v6 106k miles , 00 sportage base 72,802 miles 2wd... purple...
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it doesnt want to start, thats why i checked the compression again. if i can get it started how long should it take the rinds to seat?

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
it doesnt want to start, thats why i checked the compression again. if i can get it started how long should it take the rinds to seat?
I would think a few hundred miles would help; maybe a thousand to be "broken-in" as per a new engine. If it won't start because the compression is very low to begin with, you have a problem. What are your readings? Should be >140 PSI.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts