Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Kia Sportage
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1998 Kia Sportage with a 5 speed manual and the standard 2.0 liter DOHC engine. Im amazed that for all the people that have complained about this vehicle being underpowered (including myself) that there are not more means of improving the power. The engine compartment is pretty open for an air intake and the ignition system seems simple to upgrade while the exhaust is easily reached and toyed with as well. I would love to put larger tires on it and buy a lift kit, however, I worry that since my Kia can barely pull its own weight as it sits right now (bone stock) it would have even more trouble doing it with tires that were no more than a minimum 2 inches taller. I love the car but the lack of power is just excruciatingly painful when trying to pass or get on the highway and I was wondering if anyone out there knew of any power enhancing products that would help fix this (i.e. cold air intake, ignition improvements, exhaust kits, chips, fuel delivery improvements). Ive been looking everywhere and it seems all I can find are platinum spark plugs, which do more for fuel economy than anything, and a K&N air filter. I did put a Dynomax Super Turbo muffler on it to maybe free up a few ponies and squeeze a bit more fuel mileage from it but it seemed to do very little, yet to my surprise it barely changed the exhaust note. Which is a good thing because I dont want my sportage to sound like an import, its an SUV after all and that just wouldnt fit it, lol. So if anyone, or anything ;) , knows of a website or a place or anywhere I can find a decent about of quality power adding parts for this thing, please either send me an email or repost to this topic, thanks ^_^

·
Registered
99 Sportage Convertible 4x4
51 Posts
Dang! Nothing? I was really hoping to find some sort of response here. I've got a 99 Sportage and would love to eek just a little extra power and a few more miles per gallon out of her.... Did you ever find anything?

·
Memorial Super Moderator
2005 Kia Cerato LD [2L petrol] manual, 1986 Nissan Pulsar hatch
2,861 Posts
The engine is the FEdohc which is by mazda and was used in Mazda 626 cars in some markets, maybe if you have a look on a few mazda forums etc , you might find some specific helpful info, someone would have hotted up this motor for sure.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts