Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need honest post's here. I am finally in the market now for a Sorento. I have looked at a lot of SUV's but never really seen any that caught my eye. Well, the Sorento did. I have dealt with a few dealers lately and haven't come to any deals to get the price right. I have a good friend that has one. It is a 2003 Ex and it's loaded. It has sunroof, power windows, locks, etc. It has the original Kia bug guard on the front, original factory hitch, etc. It only has 18,000 miles and he has kept it in a garage. My wife and myself drove it last Sunday and I honestly can say I have liked every one that I've drove. I looked his over and it hardly even has a hairline scratch anywhere. This seems like a good deal. He want's $17,000. I think the only thing that is shying me away is Kia's name and of course now the gas mileage at $3 a gallon. I need some honest opinions now that will help me to choose. Financialy, I can't hardly afford to make a mistake. I'm 38 and never bought a vehicle that I really wanted. Man, I want this one so bad, but I know it's hard to beat names like Toyota, and Honda as far as reliability. Any help persuading me would be nice but I need honest help.

·
Registered
2009 KIA Sedona LX, 2006 Hyundai Sonata 2.4 GL
145 Posts
I think you have already answered your question. Buy it! You want the vehicle and as you said you have never had one you wanted. I'm on my second KIA the first one an 02 Sedona that I traded on my 05 Sorento and I am now considering trading my '97 Neon in on a Spectra or Rio5.

I loved both of them and to be honest I really feel KIA has a good name. I know there are people here who have posted problems with their Sorentos as other KIAs but honestly, these are all mechanical machines and they will have issues big and small. I know you say Toyota and Honda have great names but lets face it they also have their problems too. ALL vehicles do.

I don't know for sure if that is a good price or not but it looks good. You may need some help from some fellow Yanks to let you know if the price is good. to me it translates to around $22000 CDN and here that would be an awesome price. Given the low mileage.

Anyway my advice to you is buy it. I don't think you will regret the decision.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm reading a lot about there seems to be road noise (which I didn't see when driving) and also that it's engine is to small for the weight of the vehicle. Thanks

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had the same questioning that 1cruelhokie has when I started wandering the Sorento.

Today, 10000 KM after I wouldn't trade it for any other SUV in its class. I'm very happy with the car and its performance.

I read this forum back and forth before I bouhgt the car, and I still do and all the problems you read are the same problems any car would go thru.

So, if the price is good and the Sorento is as described, don't wait for someone to show it off to you.

·
Registered
2005 Kia Sorento
39 Posts
I bought my '05 Sorento Sport in July and honestly don't think I could have bought a better vehicle. So far I have logged about 3,000 miles and have enjoyed every second behind the wheel.

I think the price may be a little high. Why not buy new? In my area a Sorento is selling for under $20,000 well equiped.

·
Registered
Kia Carens CRDI Mk 3
103 Posts
A new Sorento 2.5 diesel in the uk about £21000 thats
about $36,667 US Dollars,they must be giving them
away in the USA.

·
Registered
Kia Carens CRDI Mk 3
103 Posts
New Kia Sorento 3.5 v6 auto XT Model top of the range
Price £24,995 in US Dollars $43,656 Petrol 97 pence per litre
(£4 A GALLON) US Dollars $6.985 it,s enough to make you
cry, but we keep on smiling :beer:

·
Registered
2009 KIA Sedona LX, 2006 Hyundai Sonata 2.4 GL
145 Posts
I agree there was alot of road noise with miune too on the highway at sppeds in excess of 100 km/h (62 mph). I fixed it by pulling my roof rack middle bars off leaving only the side supports. It takes me less than 20 minutes to put them back on when I need them and the reduction in noise is worth the extra time. I have only used them once and I figure i will get a little better mileage with them off(it's probably neglagable but hey every little bit counts at $1.00 a litre)

Anyway I really don;t think you will be dissapointed. I am not in the least. I love the thing more each day.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh well, I just bought it. I hope I won't be disappointed. I know the 2005 models are going for about $25,000 or more here in VA fully equipped. This one is a 2003 but only 18,000 miles and loaded plus I know who has owned it for $17,000. I didn't have to pay all the dealership fee's which probably saved me $200. I do lose the 10 yr /100 mile warranty because it's not transferrable but the 5yr /60,000 I do retain. I guess though to get a new vehicle but for $8,000 less and payments at $340 hopefully is good. I should have it first of next week. My bank had to pay off my friends loan, so were basically waiting on the title. As far as road noise that I've heard people mention, I'm used to a little Nissan pickup 2 wheel drive. Trust me, when your going down the highway and you have the windows down, it's loud, so I guess this can't be much worse. I just feel sick right now. I guess I'm going to go puke (please someone encourage me). Just didn't want to get another 5 yr payment.

·
Banned
417 Posts
My feelings are your a lot better off with the 03 Sorento. I sure enjoy mine and would not trade it for a 04 or 05 model. Kia using the 5 speed to get more fuel milage just don't work in MHO the 4 speed is the trans built in Japan and it has not had any problems. So I vote stick with what has worked.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Alright...

We have an 03 Sorento EX Luxury, fully optioned model w/TOD obviously. We purchased it in Nov 02, less than 30 days to market.
Sticker was $32.5k, we paid $26 out the door (invoice pricing).

Nearly 3 years, and 50k miles later, nary a problem. Yes it gets sub 20 MPG in the city, 16-18 depending if lead foot Jones (me) or gentle T (her) drives it.

Drove it through the snow during a blizzard and never had a problem getting stuck up to two feet, at which I parked it in favor of my 4x4 rock crawling Amigo which was built for heavy duty offroading and could handle the three-four foot depth/drifts. Basically, the Sorento is THE BEST vehicle in the snow I have ever owned.
It performed impeccably during the ice racing season in Georgetown, CO on the lake. Return trips often hit and exceeded triple digits (mph), and I have not once had an issue with noise.

In fact, it is quite the opposite, the Sorento was by far the quietest cabin of everything else in the class that we drove! Over 80 vehicles, only requirement was seats four adults comfortably, and has AWD/4WD. I am 6' 240#, she is 5'3" 130, so we have quite the range to find something we are both comfortabe in, and comfortably seats additional adults. The final two were the Mazda Tribute and the Sorento.

The ONLY warranty repair has been a faulty power steering pump within the first 3 months. Since then, we have been fortunate not to experience other issues.

And I have been so pleased with the quality/build of the Sorento, that when I decided to retire the Amigo from daily driving duties, I looked for a while for something 4cyl/5spd, but wanted something with character, and was a bit sporty. I decided to go with the Spectra5, and 10k miles later, I am VERY happy with my choice and the improved quality of Kia. The final two were the Spec5 and Mazda 3 - 5 door. Final price was $15k out the door (invoice), sticker was ~$17.5k.

My opinion, BUY IT! You wont be sorry, they are great rigs!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I love my 05 Sorento EX and wouldn't trade it either.

For those interested in good prices, I work for a honest dealer in Utah and would be willing to work with folks looking for a good deal.

Send PM.

Did you know that Consumer Reports has been recommending the Sorento for over a year now and that it is on their list of vehicles capable of doing serious off-road driving?

I didn't - until recently.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I love this vehicle. I just went to Kings Dominion which is 360 miles away. This thing rides great! I feel like I'm really in control of everything. I hope this will be a great vehicle for me!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts