Kia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am digging into a power door lock problem on my daughter's 2012 Kia Soul. The doors intermittently (rarely) unlock using any of the interior door switches -- as well as the key fob. I am referring to all doors EXCEPT the driver's door. That works...as well as the door lock functions.

So far, I'm finding posts (on the net and in this forum) that lead me to believe Kia was DUMB enough to hardwire a door unlock relay into the fuse (junction) box. If true, I'm already super-pissed! This alone negates a growing infinity for Kia versus Toyota -- in terms of perceived reliability/design -- but I digress! LOL

My best guess -- after looking at door lock schematics and preliminary testing is that the "2-turn door unlock relay" is going bad. It can be seen in this diagram....

When working properly, a 2012 Soul requires a second push of the key fob to unlock passenger doors and hatchback. I am interpreting the "2-turn door unlock relay" as the component that triggers the lock/unlock actuators in each door (and hatch). When this relay malfunctions, the doors/hatch do not unlock. And, without a key unlock for the hatch, the idiocy of Kia's design becomes apparent: The hatch won't open, can't be opened with a key, and the repair cost exceeds $1300! That's because Kia charges 10 hours to replace the junction box.

As a preliminary test, I jumped a second battery to her car. The unlock function worked better...but still intermittently. My conclusion is the higher current (from 2nd battery) increased chances of the "2-turn unlock relay" of actuating. I could surmise a ground/wiring issues TO that relay but everything else works. I would suspect common ground AND the thing is reportedly hard-wired into the junction box -- from what I gather.

Having just graduated from college (with loans), you can appreciate not wanting to spend $1300 to replace the junction box -- nor can I afford to do that for her. However, I claim to be "clever and handy".

My thought is to bypass the 2-turn unlock relay with a new relay. It would sit outside the junction box and be triggered by the "door unlock relay" -- which I presume to be the driver's door unlock relay. If successful, ALL doors would unlock as originally wired though a single-press of the key fob would also unlock all doors. This is acceptable -- in lieu of the alternative....e.g., spending $1300 OR replacing the junction box myself!!!!

This thread (in another forum) shows some wiring for the addition of keyless entry. I'm looking for supplemental information....and need it within a couple of days. My daughter is moving out-of-state so I hope to affect repairs quickly. My hope is to identify the correct wires to install an outboard relay.

Here is my goal:

Please help me identify which wires to cut/spice in order to add an outboard relay. In post #11 (of the UNLINKABLE, NEW POSTER RULING I HAD TO REMOVE), the pic showed WHAT I BELIEVE may be the correct blue/orange, red/orange, and brown (brown/white?) wires used to ground the energizing side of the door relays. My idea is to ground a new, outboard relay using the "signal" from the blue/orange door unlock relay (going under the assumption this is the driver's door unlock relay). The slave side of the relay is where I'm less clear.....

In the main pic for this thread, there are 3 "legs" to the slave side of the "2-turn relay": Blue, Black and power. I haven't figured this out yet. Please identify these wires and how you think the actuators are energized by the slave side of the relay? (This would include saying what each of the blue, black, and power terminals are for?

Thanks! (FWIW, I also joined the Soul forum but need to be "accepted" before posting there).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can't believe I have to play these games to avoid scammers, get into a forum with reasonable haste, and get answers. By the way, I hope to provide HELPFUL info to others with this problem! Geez!!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Geez...How did I post a pic in my OP but now I can't because my count is too low? post #5 (of 10 required to post a pic)?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry guys for this B.S.! Hope this thread can be edited for clarity when problem is resolved.....mostly for YOU GUYS!!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK!!!! So I FINALLY got the schematic and pic of lock plug/harness posted.

First step is to identify functions of the slave side of the relay from original post. Seems likely the blue/org and red/org wire "trigger" the relay(s) from the door lock/unlock switches. Maybe from the key too? Obviously the fob sends a signal somewhere too. Maybe the board on which the relays are permanently mounted?

Again, the goal is to define how to bypass a failed juntion-box relay by installing an outboard relay in it's place!

This SHOULD reduce cost from $1300 (for junction box replacement) to $10 for a relay!!! :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
zero replies in 24 hours? Is this a bad forum to get help for Kia Soul (especially electronic/schematic) issues? You wouldn't just be helping me, I hoped my solution would help other owners after completed/posted!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does anyone know if ALL of the wires for the "2-turn unlock relay" are contained within the harness pictured above? Even better...if there's a pin-out of which wire is which (independent of color) since there was already confusion by the owner who posted this pic?

In other words, to confirm wiring. In post #1 , it shows wire colors. Pinouts (slot numbers) would help confirm.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think I have this figured out. Need to get the car (from my kid), make 2 or 3 tests to confirm failing relay in the junction box, verify it cannot be replaced, then jumper in a 5-pin Bosch 12V relay to the brown and blue wires. Will use independant ground and 12V supply.

If I don't post again, it worked and I didn't get enough feedback to warrant detailing the solution for this forum.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does anyone know if ALL of the wires for the "2-turn unlock relay" are contained within the harness pictured above? Even better...if there's a pin-out of which wire is which (independent of color) since there was already confusion by the owner who posted this pic?

In other words, to confirm wiring. In post #1 , it shows wire colors. Pinouts (slot numbers) would help confirm.
The "2-turn unlock relay" wire is the brown one on pin 1 on the white plug picture.
The CONTACT (the output) of the relay that goes to the lock/unlock piston in the doors is on the blue plug IP-FH

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
3 Participants
EranM
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing