Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I just bought a 2013 sorento lx and it only had 14 miles on it....so I am assuming my remote start keyless entry with alarm was factory installed. The dealer had it delivered from another dealer in the region, so I haven't checked with them yet, but will assume it was factory installed.
My husband does not like to carry a fob on his already loaded key chain. When he goes to unlock the car with his key the alarm goes off. Is there any way for him to turn off the alarm without me having to run out with a key fob?
The manual doesn't address the remote keyless entry/start fob in trying to use the key only to disengage the alarm.

Please help...this will be annoying if I have to make sure to always lock my car from within the door or with the key only. And then, I don't think the alarm is engaged right?

Please help.
Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,412 Posts
There is no way to disarm the remote start theft system with the key only. The alarm can turned off and the system disarmed after you are in the car, but the alarm will sound until this is done. I'll list it here, but it is also in the remote start owners manual, which you should have got with the Sorento and is probably in the glove box.

1.Unlock the door with the key.
2.Get in the vehicle(the alarm will be going off) and turn the ignition on. It won't start, the remote start theft system won't let it.
3.Find the programming button and press it once. It should be located behind the fuse box cover, or just under the dash by the fuse box.

The easiest thing to do would be for him to start carrying a fob.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will look again. I did not see a reset button when I opened the fuse box cover. I only have 2 fobs and 4 drivers, so if I locked the car with a fob and am away from home in a different car and one of my kids has to move the sorento, they will be stuck since they only have keys.

Guess I'll need to put the fob away and just use the key, and engage alarm only when I know I'm going to be the only user....otherwise this is going to be problematic for our family.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Sometimes it is behind another wire or hanging under the dash, but it should be over near the fuse box, and supposed to be right behind the cover. If you find the manual it will show a picture so you know what to look for.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.... I found the wire hanging. It was turned away from my sight so I didn't want to touch anything the first time I saw it under my dash. But that did the trick. I also found the manual which was hidden in my glove box...so think it didn't come out the first time I grabbed paperwork...it was not in with my regular manual...but will be now.
Now I feel better!
Whew...crisis averted, ha ha...just kidding.

·
Registered
SORENTO 2012 V6 EX AWD SUNROOF MOONROOF
116 Posts
I suppose the next post will be.."anyone seen my Sorento"!!!

Don't tinker with the system, there for a reason, you might also compromise other security and safety systems by unplugging wires.
BTW it only takes 60 seconds for a crook to open your door without a key and you want to disable the alarm:eek:

·
Registered
SORENTO 2012 V6 EX AWD SUNROOF MOONROOF
116 Posts
Sometimes it is behind another wire or hanging under the dash, but it should be over near the fuse box, and supposed to be right behind the cover. If you find the manual it will show a picture so you know what to look for.
Thank you!!! I'm sure every car thief is cheering!

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Thank you!!! I'm sure every car thief is cheering!
You were the first to say thank you. Stolen any cars lately?

It only works if the key is in the ignition and it is turned to the run position. If the battery dies in the remote start transmitter and you need to open the door with the key, you will need to turn the alarm off this way so the car can be started.

This isn't "tinkering" with the system, its supposed to work this way. If you read the rest of the posts you would also notice where I said " it is also in the remote start owners manual". If it wasn't supposed to work like this, Kia wouldn't put it print so anyone with access to a remote start owners manual could read it in black and white.

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
679 Posts
I read another thread about updating "options" and I found something that will definitely help. There is an option that can set the key to activate and de-activate the alarm as well. Exactly what you're looking for.

More details in this thread: Dealer Changeable Options

The door key arm/disarm option is what you're looking for.

Just look for my verbose description :)

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I read another thread about updating "options" and I found something that will definitely help. There is an option that can set the key to activate and de-activate the alarm as well. Exactly what you're looking for.

More details in this thread: Dealer Changeable Options

The door key arm/disarm option is what you're looking for.

Just look for my verbose description :)
This only works for the base alarm. The remote start is a stand alone system and doesn't have this option.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Key Entry sets off alarm

I just aquired a 2012 Kia Sorneto with 12,200 miles and it has a remote start. Well in all of the other cars Ive owned and driven (30+) in the past 44 years not a single one that had a remote fab that locked and unlocked the car, did anyone of them have an alarm go off when opened with a key. This has to be one of the most stupidest and idiotic, poorly designed, annoying and outright poor engineering I have ever seen. Makes me want to get rid of this car as what other stupid problem am I going to experience. Will I have to remove a door to change the battery or stand under a solar eclipse to jump the car?

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
9,812 Posts
I just aquired a 2012 Kia Sorneto with 12,200 miles and it has a remote start. Well in all of the other cars Ive owned and driven (30+) in the past 44 years not a single one that had a remote fab that locked and unlocked the car, did anyone of them have an alarm go off when opened with a key. This has to be one of the most stupidest and idiotic, poorly designed, annoying and outright poor engineering I have ever seen. Makes me want to get rid of this car as what other stupid problem am I going to experience. Will I have to remove a door to change the battery or stand under a solar eclipse to jump the car?
You'll find that bold part is very common in the auto industry.

Please update your profile detail, ........at least location and vehicle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts