Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi kia forum comunity, first of all i want to apologize for my english, i´m from chile and i dont have an excelent english :p.
im really new to this forum, i tried to read as much posts as i could to find how to change the radio, how to install the wheel control and other things and i have to admit that im an idiot in this matter.
i have a rio 2012 5 ex and it came with the bad radio, i want to change it for the one that comes with built in gps, dvd player, touch screen and all that. and im absolutely clueless on what to buy, what tools, what cables or things i need to mod. also i want to install the wheel controls. im not interested on the rearview camera. only a better radio. i contacted kia, over mail, and they told me that it was very difficult to change and that i had to change the entire electric system of the car because according to him the car doesnt have the connection for that radio. i know that i have to buy the radio with the pannel, but talking with a friend that works with cars, he customize yaris sport, he told me that it can be done and that the kia guy didnt knew or didnt want to explain it to me. i think that i can install everyhing with his help, but before buying anything i want to know what i need and how its done, or at least the general idea of how its done.
this is a picture of my radio (not my car, mine is manual): http://static.betazeta.com/www.bolido.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/rio5-48.jpg
and this is the radio that i want, with wheel controls (i only care about the radio and wheel controls, not the other things: http://imagenes.km77.com/fotos/bbtcontent/clipping/KM7KPH20110822_0065/5.jpg
if anyone can help me and guide me trough this i would be very gratefull, and i would pay with a copie of the game LOL for steam :D is not much but if anyone takes the time to explain all this to me he would deserve something :)
i also have to add that im a college student so my budget is really tight, and i will do all this modifications only if im sure that will work :p
thanks in advance

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, i read it, but i think that his rio5 came with the wheel controls and a better radio, so he didnt had to change anything on the electric system. but is a very detailed tutorial on how to install it.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Su inglés es mejor que mi español.

I think you are being rather hopeful in wanting to change the audio/cd/gps etc. etc., especially as you do not seem to have much experience.

I have fitted a couple of radios/cd players to my cars, but only because there was no factory-fitted audio system. These were simple installations, but any work you do under the dash or that requires running cables under the carpet etc. is a real pain. I was a lot younger in those days, but it was a long and exhausting job, even considering that I was familiar with electronics and audio systems (Non-Auto).

Wiring up steering wheel controls just doen't bear thinking about, but I wish you well if you decide to go ahead. Lately, I've been more than happy with the audio system that is installed by default. Some of them have been a bit up-market, but the basic system as installed in our KIA Cerato is quite adequate, especially considering that the audio environment is a metal box with glass windows.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio5 SX White
312 Posts
my system has wheel controls. I had the touch screen one.

so this kit would work.

It was very easy to do. nothing needed to be spliced. If you want backup camera to work you need to run 12v to camera wires and video in and return line which would need to be spliced.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts