Kia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX 3.3 V6 AWD, Snow White Pearl W/Touring Pkg.
73 Posts
Dealer supplied key tool required to open access cover. Raising cover is supposed to loosen cross rail grip on side rails. I found it to be extremely difficult to remove cross rails. Lots of Silicone spray and diagonally angling the cross rails while applying force was the only way I could remove them. A lot of effort and with the assist of the wife on the opposite side helped. Reinstallng was also a repeat of the same issues so I decided to just leave them on to avoid further scratching the chrome side rails. Reason I removed cross rails was for easing Winter snow clearing.The cross rails came with my SX upon new vehicle delivery @ no extra charge.I really have no use for them but I think they add a richer look to my Sorento. Good Luck and be careful not to scratch side rails

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento SX, 2003 Honda S2000
183 Posts
As mentioned there's a special tool that you need. It's just a small plastic black piece, it comes with two, check your glove box near the owners manual if they came w/ delivery of the car otherwise they should have handed them to you when they installed them.

I haven't had the same experience as briar, here's what works for me:

You put the tool on the circle and turn it SEVERAL times (lefty loosey, righty tighty, may be worth counting for when you put them back on) then lift the the lever. After that it'll prob still grip pretty tight, do the other side and then when both levers are lifted then tap it towards the center (length wise) of the vehicle with your first, once it shifts it should lose it's grip completely and come right off or the other side may still grip, repeat the tapping on the other side.

·
Registered
2012 Sorento SX FWD
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the instruction. So if i don't have that special tool, do i need to tkae it to the dealer tomremove it?

·
Registered
2018 Sorento EX 3.3L V6 AWD
152 Posts
Thanks for the instruction. So if i don't have that special tool, do i need to tkae it to the dealer tomremove it?
Give them a call and explain before doing so. Maybe they'll tell you to come pick it up or come in. That way you can find out if they consider it a warranty issue even though it's an outside accesory.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Sorry, correction to my instructions as I was going off memory. The tool will just do a quarter turn to unlock the lever, you then lift the lever and turn it several times to loosen the grip. This may be the step that briar is missing...

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX 3.3 V6 AWD, Snow White Pearl W/Touring Pkg.
73 Posts
Sorry, correction to my instructions as I was going off memory. The tool will just do a quarter turn to unlock the lever, you then lift the lever and turn it several times to loosen the grip. This may be the step that briar is missing...
I was unaware of the fact that by turning the lifted lever would provide adequate clearance, thus providing easy cross rail removal. Unfortunately the material I had researched did not provide that info. I will try that procedure out. Thanks for the tip Doug

·
Registered
183 Posts
Boom, did your dealer not offer to replace them? If you still need one and I can find my spare key again I'd be glad to let you borrow it, don't want to send my only one in case it gets lost or broken in the mail... I'm sure you understand, haha. Let me know and I'll look for it for you.

Briar, no problem glad I could help :)

·
Registered
2012 Sorento SX FWD
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Doug, i don't have chance to go to the dealer yet. I'll ask them next time I am im for oil change. Thank you for your offer, i'll let you know how it goes with the dealer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts