Kia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
KIA Sportage
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,

anyone here familiar with the sportage headlight wiring? or has anyone installed angeleyes? when i took out the headlight clip and saw 6 different cables, i've no idea at all how to connect the wiring to angeleyes.

there are 2 cables, black and red coming out from angeleyes inverter.
i tried to test it out first by plugging it into the clip, red for red, black for black, i didn't try on other colors. and the angeleyes didnt glow.

i think there's no point for me to remove the headlight and not knowing the wiring. :(
anybody here can help me, or probably provide the diagram?
thanks in advance

ps. the angeleyes are meant for daytime running

·
Registered
KIA Sportage
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
hi kobi411
thanks man! ur sorento is totally awesome! i'll update my post with pics later, coz im in the middle of working now. i think the sportage wiring should be similar or exactly the same as sorento's.
the bi xenon perfectly fits the angel eyes.. im considering to change my current headlamp (yellow) to brighter (maybe 6000K)
i think i basically need to know which of the original wire is headlight's one. is it brown?

·
Registered
2013 Forte Koup SX; 2012 Kia Sorento SX; 2012 Kawasaki Z1000
1,007 Posts
hi kobi411
thanks man! ur sorento is totally awesome! i'll update my post with pics later, coz im in the middle of working now. i think the sportage wiring should be similar or exactly the same as sorento's.
the bi xenon perfectly fits the angel eyes.. im considering to change my current headlamp (yellow) to brighter (maybe 6000K)
i think i basically need to know which of the original wire is headlight's one. is it brown?
brighter is 4300k yellowish tint on lights.. you just meant whiter i guess higher kelvin lesser lumens (brightness)

so in regards to ccfl, i usually wire them on igniton or accessory, (ccfls are reccomended to be wired/tapped on a stable current) i started a thread with led strips and did a quick DIY, it may be different in the sportage so you have to test which wires are the accessory/ignition wire on your sportage.. here's the link:

http://www.kia-forums.com/2011-xm-sorento-forum/73594-led-strips-hid-tinton-kia-sorento-12.html

My projects done: hope you like it..

·
Registered
KIA Sportage
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
come to think, it's indeed different, the sportage headlight comes with daytime running led strips, while the sorento doesn't have. btw, great works u done there! where did u get ur AE again?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
umnitza... predator orion v2 brightest halos ever.. even in front of the sun and some distance...

·
Registered
KIA Sportage
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
montage AE preps

hi, as i promised the pics i put together

i haven't entirely removed the headlight yet, i guess it'll b clearer if i took out the headlight completely.

i don't have harness like i read most of the tutorials, and i've read an article saying it's still possible, but limited feature.
like i've tested, if i put the AE is wired to daylight time running, and when i turn on the light, the AE is off,and vice versa.
is there a way to make it on all d times? do i have to split the + wire into 2?

i've another concern too, as i cant see the bottom part of the light, are there screws that need to be undone? i won't have to remove the bumper right?

oh does umnitza have a perfect fit for sorento?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
i haven't entirely removed the headlight yet, i guess it'll b clearer if i took out the headlight completely.

- are you serious? make sure you can open the headlights though; ours in north america are sealed with perma-seal, close to epoxy strength so we have to buy replica headlights to retrofit.. try using a cent./dime and pierce a small part of glue on your headlight, if it budges it should be ok baking it, if not, you might have to pry aggressively... bad luck if its perma-seal, you will wreck your headlights...

i don't have harness like i read most of the tutorials, and i've read an article saying it's still possible, but limited feature.
like i've tested, if i put the AE is wired to daylight time running, and when i turn on the light, the AE is off,and vice versa.
is there a way to make it on all d times? do i have to split the + wire into 2?

- as what i have told you before its better to have it in ignition or accessory, DRL's are pulsating current (half wattage mostly pulsating, bad for the ccfl and its ballast it wont last a day) dont really need a harness just check and see where ignition wire is.. negative to bat. plus if its wired to ignition its on all the time as long as engine is running>>>

i've another concern too, as i cant see the bottom part of the light, are there screws that need to be undone? i won't have to remove the bumper right?
- not sure with sportage, my sorento has 2 on top, one at the back, and a clip at the side.. please check carefully tabs easily break if pulled out incorrectly from clips

·
Registered
KIA Sportage
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the reply!
it's definitely not a perma-seal,i've checked it myself, can b done with hairdyer/heatgun/oven. but i don't think oven can fit the headlight size, its just too big.

cool, kobi, i'll try to find the ignition. does that mean the ignition wire should be different from the ones go to headlights?

alright take note on the clip :)

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
my sorento fit inside... lol, it should be ok..
yes... or the accesory wire should be ok too..
good luck let me know if you're done..

·
Registered
KIA Sportage
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
stuck at headlight removal

hi kobi,
i've succesfully removed 3 visible bolts on the passenger's side, but i still couldn't remove the headlight, there's something that still holds the headlight. it could be the clip that u mentioned previously. but i couldnt find it :(
in your sorento where's the clip exactly located? it might be the same, worth trying
i didn't dare to force my way, or else i'll break something
i guess i cant be enjoying angeleyes for awhile, will research some more for headlight removal

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX
979 Posts
As mentioned in your other thread, after removing the three bolts, pull the entire assembly forward, you won't break the retaining clip.

·
Registered
2011 AWD Sportage SX
926 Posts
yeah pull the headlights forward and up and wiggle the headlights. It takes a little bit of work since the headlight seats itself on the mount. But it gets easier after several headlight removal and installation. Get us pics and a DIY write up incase some of the people here want to do an angeleye mod with their headlight.

·
Registered
KIA Sportage
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah thanks man! now comes the next hard part involving the heat gun. i was using hair dryer oh man it takes ages. im goin to hardware shop today for a heat gun. yeah im definitely post a diy guide after all this done. thanks kobi!

·
Registered
KIA Sportage
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
hi kobi i finally retrofitted the angeleyes! but the sad thing is, i dug up pretty amount of cash to get it done. was in the middle desperation of prying open the headlights, i gave up and left it to the professionals. anyway, another sad thing is, the "professionals" couldn't figure out the ignition wire. instead they took out the small light, and i can't enjoy the AE nxt to DRL. i probably have to crack my head to do another wire job. as you've mentioned "the ignition", does the (+) go to battery? and (-) goes to ignition?
another person even suggested that i need to create a new manual switch, is it necessary?
or can I split the (+) wire, one goes to DRL, another goes to normal light?

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX
979 Posts
I installed this mod on my 2004 Mazda3 back when this mod was new. I had the installer add a switch on the dashboard that allowed me turn off the AE in case one side died or I didn't want to use them any longer. The AE were connected to switched power source so they would turn on when the engine was one. After a couple years of continuous use, one side eventually died so instead of opening up the housing once again I decided just to turn off both sides.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
alternative from ignition wire

sorry forgot to check your thread..
you can get some drl controller from ebay, it is wired to your battery, it senses the rise and drop of voltage of the vehicles's battery thats how they turn off and on.. turns on after 5 sec. and turns off after 20 sec.
they stay on all the time unless you want the optional wire to be tapped on your low beams so they turn off when low beams are on.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts