Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Sportage EX- Decked out!
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a silver skid plate but they sent me instructions in Korean and I only speak english. I have a 2012 Sportage EX (US Version). Can anyone help me in finding instructions for installing this?

·
Registered
2006 Kia Optima, 2006 Kia Sportage, 2008 Kia Cerato, 2013 Kia Sportage
29 Posts
Found some answers for you on a spanish forum to which you have to register, since I don't know if you know spanish I'll translate and summarize a bit.

NKS CLUB - Montaje protector paragolpes delantero - Bricos

1. First you need to clean the under surface where the skid plate will be applied very throughtly.
2. Afterwards when is clean and dry, you need to apply some type of priming liquid that the kit brings on to the surface where you will apply the plate and let it dry for about 15 minutes.
3. Remove the skid plate double side tape from the plate and press it on and hold it still for 2 minutes.

4. You need to drill some holes in the plate that go thru the original bumper, there should be some type of diagram in your docs.

5. Insert the plastic wedges that come with the kit

6. Hammer the wedges in so they go flat

7. Let your car sit still for about 2 hours before driving it for everything to bond well. The original author recommends adding some masking tape to the plate and the main chassis temporarlyto ensure nothing moves or slides during those 2 hours.

Hope this helps, and all credit goes to the autor robertops on the forum linked above.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Everything held in place with tape while it bonds.

The forum only allowed me to post 4 images por post, bug I thought this additional was worth posting on it's own.

·
Registered
2011 Sportage EX 1.7cc Diesel - Manual transmission
154 Posts
I fitted the factory skid plates myself. They are supplied with 3M cleaning and bonding solutions, a template to help you fit the plates in the right position and clips. First you have to clean the surface and then apply the bonding solution. Leave for 15 minutes to dry then using the template you fit the plate. The plate has 3M bonding tape on the back also. Then you need to drill holes to fit the clips. These are underneath the car and the hold one end of the plate. Atm i don't have pics available but i think if you login Kgis you might find something.

The most difficult one is the rear one as you have to find the best place to fit it as you have to use the template. Not as the front one where part of it fits in the vent opening and there is no place other than that.

·
Registered
Kia Sportage EX- Decked out!
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Found some answers for you on a spanish forum to which you have to register, since I don't know if you know spanish I'll translate and summarize a bit.

NKS CLUB - Montaje protector paragolpes delantero - Bricos

1. First you need to clean the under surface where the skid plate will be applied very throughtly.
2. Afterwards when is clean and dry, you need to apply some type of priming liquid that the kit brings on to the surface where you will apply the plate and let it dry for about 15 minutes.
3. Remove the skid plate double side tape from the plate and press it on and hold it still for 2 minutes.

4. You need to drill some holes in the plate that go thru the original bumper, there should be some type of diagram in your docs.

5. Insert the plastic wedges that come with the kit

6. Hammer the wedges in so they go flat

7. Let your car sit still for about 2 hours before driving it for everything to bond well. The original author recommends adding some masking tape to the plate and the main chassis temporarlyto ensure nothing moves or slides during those 2 hours.

Hope this helps, and all credit goes to the autor robertops on the forum linked above.
I don't have these wedges for my skid plate, just screws. Does this matter?

·
Registered
200 Posts
I doubt it. I fitted a front skid plate on Saturday. The same one as in the pictures on the Spanish forum. It is made in Germany, so may differ in detail to the Korean version.

One thing that wasn't mentioned but is relevant if you live in a colder climate, is that the primer supplied takes 15 minutes to dry at a minimum temperature of 18°C (65°F) and that pressure needs to be applied to the areas over the double sided tape for two minutes after application.

I couldn't get the centre pin to push into those 4mm plastic rivets so I screwed a 1/2" #4 brass screw into them instead. It seems secure enough.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Screws should work fine, try to get a variety that won't get rust on them

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi the problem you have the United States Kia Sportage you need to change the lower valance it on the very bottom of the front bumper ,the United States Part # is 865123 W000 you need the Korean part #865123W010 you can get it at Korean Auto Imports web sight go the exterior page 3 , if you need more help let me kow.
Ron

1 - 10 of 10 Posts