Kia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Kia Spectra 2.0 EX
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there I’m new to these forums so if I’m posting in the wrong section or doing anything I’m not supposed to please let me know so I can fix it. I own a 2004 Kia Spectra with 115k miles on it. For the past couple months it’s had this issue where if I am stopped (in park or neutral or drive) it will rev up sometimes to even 4K rpms. It will do this continuously. Also if I’m going at a slow speed (5mph-20mph) it will sometimes do the same thing. If I’m at a red light or stop sign my car will rev up and inch forward with my foot on the brake. This also goes hand in hand with some stalling issues, every once and a while when I’m slowing down and turning or stopped my car will stall and I just have to turn it back on and it’s fine (unless later it stalls again). Everything I’ve seen online pointed to either the idle air control valve or the mass air flow sensor causing these issues by not allowing enough air to mix with the fuel. I’ve replaced both and it still happens, and now it’s finally throwing 2 codes. P0171 and P1166. I would like help diagnosing what could be the fix to this, thank you so much. Let me know if you need to know anything else.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 2013 BMW K1600 GTL
11,089 Posts
Hey there I’m new to these forums so if I’m posting in the wrong section or doing anything I’m not supposed to please let me know so I can fix it. I own a 2004 Kia Spectra with 115k miles on it. For the past couple months it’s had this issue where if I am stopped (in park or neutral or drive) it will rev up sometimes to even 4K rpms. It will do this continuously. Also if I’m going at a slow speed (5mph-20mph) it will sometimes do the same thing. If I’m at a red light or stop sign my car will rev up and inch forward with my foot on the brake. This also goes hand in hand with some stalling issues, every once and a while when I’m slowing down and turning or stopped my car will stall and I just have to turn it back on and it’s fine (unless later it stalls again). Everything I’ve seen online pointed to either the idle air control valve or the mass air flow sensor causing these issues by not allowing enough air to mix with the fuel. I’ve replaced both and it still happens, and now it’s finally throwing 2 codes. P0171 and P1166. I would like help diagnosing what could be the fix to this, thank you so much. Let me know if you need to know anything else.
Using the below link, please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your User Account/Profile

eg.
USA
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

UPDATE: Vehicle Information

Forum Rules

Tip: after updating your info, hit “like” on this post, and it will serve as a prompt to remove it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts